Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The movers and shakers in Lexington are going to vote to make it illegal for people who own rental property to turn down renters using section 8. I've got a rental property in Lexington.

If they do indeed make it the law, it's going to cause rent to go through the roof. The only thing landlords can do to get out from under it is to price their rentals too high for section 8 to accept.

It's going to make it rough on renters who don't qualify for section 8.

I've got some good renters now. I'm going to make it as easy as possible for them to stay. Actually, I already do.

I rented it to a young couple. Shortly afterwards they snuck the young woman's brother and his wife in to share the house with them. They think I don't know. But it's pretty obvious.

I don't care. They pay the rent on time and they're good kids--don't bother anybody and don't tear the place up.

I more or less told the young man as much. I was out there to do some maintenance,..he was there. I told him, "Pay the rent on time, don't tear the place up, you won't hear nothing from me".

I hope they stay a couple of years. I don't want to have to do the section 8 shuffle.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good renters are great but hard to find.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
We only have 1 rental anymore.

We have a younger couple in there that's been there for somewhere between 2-3 years. Nice people that have 1 little human now.

Their rent hasn't changed since they moved in and it is probably at least $300 under the market if not $500 under the market. I told the wife we need to bump rent some this next year and she is adamant that we are not doing anything of the sort. Pretty sure I am going to win this one.

Only looking to get some of our increased expenses made up, not jump the thing to the market value.

But that is the reality. What a good renter is worth. Prior to them moving in, I let that house sit empty for a year because I could not find any good prospects. It just wasn't worth the headache.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The movers and shakers in Lexington are going to vote to make it illegal for people who own rental property to turn down renters using section 8. I've got a rental property in Lexington.

If they do indeed make it the law, it's going to cause rent to go through the roof. The only thing landlords can do to get out from under it is to price their rentals too high for section 8 to accept.

I've got some good renters now. I'm going to make it as easy as possible for them to stay. Actually, I already do.

I rented it to a young couple. Shortly afterwards they snuck the young woman's brother and his wife in to share the house with them. They think I don't know. But it's pretty obvious.

I don't care. They pay the rent on time and they're good kids--don't bother anybody and don't tear the place up.

I more or less told the young man as much. I was out there to do some maintenance,..he was there. I told him, "Pay the rent on time, don't tear the place up, you won't hear nothing from me".

I hope they stay a couple of years. I don't want to have to do the section 8 shuffle.

The other option would be for your rental to not pass section 8 inspection. From memory from 15 years ago, there are simple things that can result in a failed sec 8 inspection like no screens on windows.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
yep lexington democrats as everywere .Everytime they say they helping the poor .it always cost the poor and everyone else more money

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Been the law here in Florida for that for a while. Plenty of other ways to say they don't qualify.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Tarkio
We only have 1 rental anymore.

We have a younger couple in there that's been there for somewhere between 2-3 years. Nice people that have 1 little human now.

Their rent hasn't changed since they moved in and it is probably at least $300 under the market if not $500 under the market. I told the wife we need to bump rent some this next year and she is adamant that we are not doing anything of the sort. Pretty sure I am going to win this one.

Only looking to get some of our increased expenses made up, not jump the thing to the market value.

But that is the reality. What a good renter is worth. Prior to them moving in, I let that house sit empty for a year because I could not find any good prospects. It just wasn't worth the headache.

I should bump the rent at my place, also. Rent in the area where my house is has gone nuts. We raised it $400 a month when the last tenant moved out and we're still several hundred dollars low for the area.

But like I said. I hate to do anything to make my current renters leave. Especially with the section 8 mandate hanging over my head.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No....it will lead to rent control.

I am MAGA.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No....it will lead to rent control.

Maybe eventually. But I think that's a ways down the road.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Section Ape housing is a way to inject a black cancer into the area

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I did section 8 for a while, guaranteed money, no probs. The renter had to boot in like $55 and even that sort of became a problem. But I just forgave it. Ho hum

The only gripey turn off I had was the community organizer commie coming and doing an inspection and harassing me about a hole the size of a pencil eraser in 2 of the screens and stupid chit like a knob missing off of the linen closet door.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
I did section 8 for a while, guaranteed money, no probs. The renter had to boot in like $55 and even that sort of became a problem. But I just forgave it. Ho hum

The only gripey turn off I had was the community organizer commie coming and doing an inspection and harassing me about a hole the size of a pencil eraser in 2 of the screens and stupid chit like a knob missing off of the linen closet door.

*If* they pass the law, I'm going to talk to a lawyer about the situation before I put it up for rent again. I'll sell it before I'll put up with section 8.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Gawd no telling what section 8 would move in there now. 27 mexicans and some chickens

All I had was a fat white chick with a litter of mocha babies

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by rem shooter
yep lexington democrats as everywere .Everytime they say they helping the poor .it always cost the poor and everyone else more money

True. I lived in Lexington from 1975 until 6 years ago. It was always a bit leftist. But it's gone full Commie in recent years. I moved north of Fayette County 6 years ago and don't miss it a bit. There's a big cattle farm and a flood plain between me and any urban expansion out here in the sticks where I live now. I'm pretty sure it'll be good for as long as I need it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife and I had rentals for over 30 years, one of the happiest days of my life was when we closed the sale of the last one.

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It was either Minneapolis or St. Paul (or both?) that recently tried to tell rental property owners that they had to take section 8, felons, etc...
A bunch of us smaller portfolios got together and told them we would rather sell out to big rental corps and they could deal with that mess instead. They backtracked real fast.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jnyork
My wife and I had rentals for over 30 years, one of the happiest days of my life was when we closed the sale of the last one.

It depends on the rentals. My one rental is a 100 year old bungalow just outside of downtown. It's become a trendy neighborhood for young professionals. So the makeup of the people who look to rent there is usually pretty good--for now anyway. Young Attorneys, Nurses, a Veterinarian from Louisville that wanted a second residence for when he was working at the horse farms around Lexington. The young people there now are good. One works at a gym and the other is an Audiologist.

I had another rental property in a decent neighborhood. But it wasn't as desirable and the people looking for rentals there weren't either. I kept it a year and sold it.

I'm not looking for any more rental property.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Someone has to house all those displaced Palestinians. Imagine the hours of jew hate conversations you could have over a bottle of Jim Beam.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Someone has to house all those displaced Palestinians.

They'll get bussed to New York City and Chicago along with all the rest.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is the property well insured? Even Section 8 tenants don't want to live in a pile of ashes.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 219DW, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,273
Posts18,486,635
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.