Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm looking at this rifle in .223. Reviews on past rifles are very positive, accuracy very good. Anyone owned one? Pros/Cons? Thanks

Steyr Arms ProHunter III SX .223 Rem 20" Threaded Bbl Green/Black Rifle

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a 308 carbine with a 20" barrel briefly. Very accurate. The safety is "different" than what I was used to using, but once I used it a while, I actually liked it. Magazines are a little expensive and harder to find. Or at least were a few years ago.

I picked it up used at a gun show at a good price intending to use it as a short-range brush gun. But after getting it home and getting a scope mounted found it to be heavier than I wanted for its intended purpose. Mine had the butterknife bolt handle which required the scope to be mounted higher than I liked to clear the bolt handle. I could have replaced the bolt handle with a round one, but I decided to let it go. At the price I paid I didn't have any trouble getting my money back.

Those are ticky-tack issues that may not bother you at all. Overall, I did like the rifle. It just didn't fill the role I had in mind for it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks JMR40

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You might get more responses if spell it Steyr.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
ughhhh I know

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I have a Steyr pro hunter in 6.5x57. It is very accurate and with the adjustable recoil pad for length it is perfect for my grandaughter. I think I have lost that rifle. It will shoot with my Sakos.
Have a great day.
Jim

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
I'm looking at this rifle in .223. Reviews on past rifles are very positive, accuracy very good. Anyone owned one? Pros/Cons? Thanks

Steyr Arms ProHunter III SX .223 Rem 20" Threaded Bbl Green/Black Rifle

I/ve not owned the Pro Hunter III. First glance it seems they have changed the type of sling swivels, butt stock design and added a rail. I've owned a dozen or so Steyr Rifles, Mountain, Professional Hunter, Mannlicher Classic and Classic Mannlicher, both synthetic and wood stocked. Calibers I've owned, 223 Rem, 6.5 x 55, 260 Rem, 7-08, 7 mag, 308Win, 30-06, 8MM Mauser, 300 Win Mag and 376 Steyr.
If you like a great two stage trigger, the SBS System, lock on safe and sub MOA accuracy @100 yds. I'd bet you'd like a Steyr.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Love Steyr accuracy - have and currently am taking care of several and all are extremely accurate. Do not like the ergonomics of them overall. They are two thick in the magazine area and have to reach too far for the triggers (especially the set trigger models). The butter knife bolt handles while aesthetically pleasing hit my hand on recoil (8X68S specifically) and they are as mentioned to “high” and require higher than preferred scope mounting….the accuracy prevents me from parting with them though!!

Just my two cents!,

PennDog

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Steyr's have some really good points and some bad points. Mine is an old Professional. They used frail plastic triggerguards/magazine wells which cracked. I replaced mine with a custom-made steel unit. They used frail plastic magazines as well. The scope mounting is typically European, meaning too high. The synthetic stock on mine is too heavy by today's standard at 35 oz. inclusive of recoil pad and swivels. Everything else is excellent.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/08/23.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a Steyr-Mannlicher-M Professional chambered for 7X57 from, I think, the early 90s, given to me by my father. Black synthetic stock. Plastic bottom and trigger guard. Plastic rotary magazine. Spiral twist hammer forged barrel. Matte black metal finish.

It didn't seem to care much for most factory ammunition offerings, but is admirably accurate using hand loads with 140 gr Sierra Pro Hunters and enough IMR 4350 to push MV to 2840 fps. Whether the bore is squeaky clean, dirty, cold, or warm, first shot POI seems always to be consistent.

It's a great "grab-it-and-go" rifle for me. Don't love the plastic. Had to replace the magazine once. Difficult to find, and not inexpensive. But, overall, I've been very pleased.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rabst
I have a Steyr-Mannlicher-M Professional chambered for 7X57 from, I think, the early 90s, given to me by my father. Black synthetic stock. Plastic bottom and trigger guard. Plastic rotary magazine. Spiral twist hammer forged barrel. Matte black metal finish.

It didn't seem to care much for most factory ammunition offerings, but is admirably accurate using hand loads with 140 gr Sierra Pro Hunters and enough IMR 4350 to push MV to 2840 fps. Whether the bore is squeaky clean, dirty, cold, or warm, first shot POI seems always to be consistent.

It's a great "grab-it-and-go" rifle for me. Don't love the plastic. Had to replace the magazine once. Difficult to find, and not inexpensive. But, overall, I've been very pleased.
I've been thinking for years to get a custom-made steel magazine made. The problem is that it will add about 4-5 oz to an already heavy rifle. Plus the cost of getting one hand-made.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A good friend of mine has a Steyr bolt gun that he loves. I also really like their scout elite series. Very smooth operating rifle.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have to agree with everything stated. I have one of the 376 Steyr's and it shoots one hole groups with the old Barnes XLC bullets and Ballistic tip/Accubonds. Trigger is great.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would like to try a Steyr model m in a 30/06 or 270. I have heard good things about their barrels. Only thing that concerns me is the availability mounts and rings.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I would like to try a Steyr model m in a 30/06 or 270. I have heard good things about their barrels. Only thing that concerns me is the availability mounts and rings.

Warne makes bases for them.
Don't pass one up if you find it!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm with Speedwalker,

The 376 Steyr is a winner. My 376 Scout cuts holes with the AccuBonds at 100 yds however the kick is brutal. I hope to develop a load for the 260 Etip. Let me know if anyone has data for a similar bullet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Spelling and 'tenses' aren't popular on the Fire!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my Steyr's, had a few. Very accurate. Jwleeper, I also have a Pro Hunter in 6.5X57, was told there were only 3 sent to America?? Have let several younger shooters use it because of the adjustable butt plate, Several have taken their first deer with the rifle.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I got a last run PH w black stock in .30-06.
Butterknife bolt doesnt bother me, think its cool.
Rifle shoots good.
Just never use it
Got it for bad weather hunting and have just stayed home when its shiddy out LOL

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m a fan. Still have my .376 and have owned SBS in .7-08, .30-06 and two in .308, plus a scout in .308. So
Had a MIII professional in .30-06 I really wish I hadn’t sold.
All extremely accurate and flawless in function.
The safety features on the SBS models is well thought out and user friendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.