Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Hindenburg didn’t work out well. Wind and solar are less productive, more destructive to our environment and less efficient. All this misery and they cost more. The EV concept is not viable but Musk with the help of governor subsidies and good engineering managed to put lipstick on the pig.
Thorium operated reactors would take up less space, be more efficient and be more beneficial to the environment.
In the 60’s farmers benefited from propane operated machinery. It burns hotter and is more efficient and has less emissions.
Look at who fathered the big push toward global lunacy. Barack Hussein Obama. He will destroy America.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What's the point?

Maximum torque at any RPM would be the big one for me.

The absence of a transmission and diffs would be good as well, if they do a motor per 1 or 2 wheels which they probably won’t because they cant.

Big disadvantage is it’d still be a Stellantis product.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Hydrogen is your huckleberry

Because Hydrogen is $65 a gallon...

Or whatever it is... delivered.

Pretty expensive for the most abundant element in the universe…

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Cruise ships have been running on this technology for a very long time as well. Unfortunately it is Stelllantis doing it and not Toyota. The V6 engines Stellantis puts out are horrid.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There is actually a point to this. It permits the gasoline engine to spend the vast majority of its time operating at the peak efficiency point in terms of engine RPM and torque load. This then gives optimal MPG which I suspect a lot of people will appreciate. Is it worth the cost??? That's a question for the free market to decide. As someone with a background in automotive engineering and heavy duty powertrains, I see what they're doing here and can appreciate the approach. The added cost, weight, and complexity can't be ignored but the end consumer should have the freedom to choose as far as I'm concerned. Let it live or die by the merits.

Last edited by Woodsman1991; 11/08/23.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
liberals biden and democrats wont let this or hybrids last they will want to ban everything that uses gasoline or oil products ,they have pretty much said as such

NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gas / electric drive with capacitor? Yes

EV? Nope

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Distridr
Gas / electric drive with capacitor? Yes

EV? Nope
Flux capacitor??? 😵‍💫

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll take the C model.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Let's see... GM Electromotive has only been doing this for... the past 100 years ???

Yep. I don't know why the heck they don't call this what it really is: A serial hybrid. But you have to appease the "All EV at all costs" folks, I guess.

Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
There is actually a point to this. It permits the gasoline engine to spend the vast majority of its time operating at the peak efficiency point in terms of engine RPM and torque load. This then gives optimal MPG which I suspect a lot of people will appreciate. Is it worth the cost??? That's a question for the free market to decide. As someone with a background in automotive engineering and heavy duty powertrains, I see what they're doing here and can appreciate the approach. The added cost, weight, and complexity can't be ignored but the end consumer should have the freedom to choose as far as I'm concerned. Let it live or die by the merits.

Quit being sensible, it's frowned upon in this forum. Well, and by the EPA, CARB, elites etc...

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've wondered for years why locomotives work that way, assuming that it must make sense for them. What say you train folks?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by geedubya
I've heard that 95% of all EV's produced are still on the road..........

Seems the other 5% made it home.

ya!

GWB

grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The article did not say what the mpg was for the gas used to do all this. It said 690mi range, but how much gas did it take to make it happen? What is the tank size?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bpas105
I've wondered for years why locomotives work that way, assuming that it must make sense for them. What say you train folks?
From what I've been told, Diesel-Electric has insant torque and is more efficient that a Diesel alone.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Kinda neat.

MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like the 7.2kwatt generator in my f150 powerboost. It's great for tailgate parties and camping. My f150 has a ton of power but it's twin turbo v6 is mated to the drive train along with the extra electric motor. In a race I was barely behind a trx ram at a quarter mile. I was right on his super charged bumper but I get twice the gas mileage my friends trx does.

I think diesel electric hybrids is where some real potential lies. I'd like to see a smaller diesel with an electric hybrid system in a truck. The 3.0 duranax is already getting up around 30 mpg in the half tons and they run pretty strong.

Bb

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't get why a diesel electric hybrid hasn't been made yet.. probably too good, too reliable and too fuel efficient...

it gives nothing for the government and the greenies to b itch about, so they b itch all the more in protest.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Poof….

They’ll burn half the country down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991

For a long time I've been pondering a girdled, small, aluminum block, diesel as the
power source for a locomotive set up.

Because it would be attached to a computer controlled generator, the engine would
never be subject to shock loads, or lugging, loads would be known beforehand and controlled, so it could be lighter than most diesels. Since the motors would take care of varying speed issues, everything in the engine could be optimized for
efficiency at the specific rpm it operates at.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Using locomotives as a comparison to EV's is bogus. The locomotive is engineered to move massive payloads over long distances. The tanks hold 5K gallons of diesel each. One tank on each side. The road engines are massive and weigh 100-200 Tons.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,739
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.