Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
My son and daughter in law have a 2005 Pontiac Montana mini-van that my DIL drives. They picked it up 3-4 months ago when their other car died unexpectedly. The van is in great shape with 105,000 miles

About 2 months ago the car suddenly braked and the traction control and stability control lights came on and stayed on. It did this several times before we were able to get the car to the mechanic we use. He replaced a wheel speed sensor. It has worked perfectly until about a week ago when my DIL says it did the same thing one time. Except this time the traction control light only came on briefly and didn't stay on.

She is scared to drive it and I've loaned them my old crew cab Tacoma until we get it figured out. I've driven the van about 50 miles and it worked perfectly for me. Our mechanic has had it a week and it shows no codes on his scanner. He is driving it whenever possible trying to get it to do it for him. So far the van is working perfectly.

My 1st reaction is that she simply put the van in a position where traction control came on when it was supposed to, and it is working normally. But she claims she was driving 45-50 mph on a straight dry section of road. At any rate she is afraid to drive it until we "fix" it. But both the mechanic and I are out of ideas.

Anybody got any ideas.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can't answer that specific question but I will tell you that when our kids were small, we had a Montana van and it was the biggest pile of crap I've ever had the displeasure of owning.

Hope your DIL has better luck with hers.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I cannot believe a 2005 Pontiac Montana is still operable.

At all.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Some scanners won’t read ABS codes. Be sure the mechanics does. It should have registered something even if the light is back off. Broken wire in the harness for one or more of the speed sensors? Makes contact but can be intermittent if you hit a bump. Had similar happen with a 2004 Chevy Cavalier. Ordered a replacement pigtail cut the old one off higher in the harness and soldered it back together. Never a problem since.

Worst case, pull the fuse for the ABS controller until you figure it out.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave

At all.

LOL

Funny you say that. This summer up on the White Earth Rez, there was a Montana parked outside of a liquor store. I stopped and took a picture and the lady getting in it asked "what are you doing?" I said "I'm sorry. I just have to show my wife that there is still one of these POS still on the road."

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
My son and daughter in law have a 2005 Pontiac Montana mini-van that my DIL drives. They picked it up 3-4 months ago when their other car died unexpectedly. The van is in great shape with 105,000 miles

About 2 months ago the car suddenly braked and the traction control and stability control lights came on and stayed on. It did this several times before we were able to get the car to the mechanic we use. He replaced a wheel speed sensor. It has worked perfectly until about a week ago when my DIL says it did the same thing one time. Except this time the traction control light only came on briefly and didn't stay on.

She is scared to drive it and I've loaned them my old crew cab Tacoma until we get it figured out. I've driven the van about 50 miles and it worked perfectly for me. Our mechanic has had it a week and it shows no codes on his scanner. He is driving it whenever possible trying to get it to do it for him. So far the van is working perfectly.

My 1st reaction is that she simply put the van in a position where traction control came on when it was supposed to, and it is working normally. But she claims she was driving 45-50 mph on a straight dry section of road. At any rate she is afraid to drive it until we "fix" it. But both the mechanic and I are out of ideas.

Anybody got any ideas.

They don’t always last and doesn’t mean you haven’t got a bad connection between it and the ABS.

Swifty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by deflave

At all.

LOL

Funny you say that. This summer up on the White Earth Rez, there was a Montana parked outside of a liquor store. I stopped and took a picture and the lady getting in it asked "what are you doing?" I said "I'm sorry. I just have to show my wife that there is still one of these POS still on the road."

Looking left at a stop light and seeing a 1990 Chevy Cavalier.

Z24.

LOL

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by JMR40

Anybody got any ideas.

They don’t always last and doesn’t mean you haven’t got a bad connection between it and the ABS.

Are you kidding?

I wouldn't drive that hunk of fugking schit to my own funeral.

Sell it, burn it, bury it, whatever.

The fact your Tacoma is the go-to is all you need to know in life.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Poor
Old
Negro
Thinks
It’s
A
Cadillac

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think these had a tent option or something back in the day?

LOL

Cutting edge.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would drive it until it repeats.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think I still have a throttle body for ours. Had it to one of it's several visits to the mechanic. He says "appears to be the throttle body" so he orders up a used one online. Nope that wasn't it so I got to pay for it to sit on a shelf in my garage.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I had a Ford Explorer company car that would go crazy with the traction/stability control a few times a year the whole time I had it, maybe 7 years. It would happen during the summer heat after I had driven it for a while then stopped, say at a grocery store on the way home, and then restarted it and swing out into traffic in a hurry. It would brake and adjust until I pulled over and shut the engine off and restarted.

I always assumed the computer chip that controlled that feature could not take the combination of the high heat and sudden acceleration and turning required to enter busy traffic. I never had it looked at, just lived with it that couple of times a year until I retired and got rid of it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GeoW

I wouldn't. I'd trade it in like yesterday.

lol

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just a guess, but the mechanic most likely used a cheap non OEM sensor. That sensor is flaky and probably right on the edge of barely working. Been seeing this a ton lately.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Leave the keys in it running somewhere

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Leave the keys in it running somewhere

That's a very good idea.

Even if you don't have insurance.

lol

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm sorry for sounding sarcastic OP but seriously, tell those kids to dump that thing ASAP.

It will nickel and dime them to death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This. Especially if he was unable to pull a new code.

-Ken

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kendibs

This. Especially if he was unable to pull a new code.

-Ken

Even if it did pull a code, you can't trust it to be what is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,838
Posts18,496,777
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.