Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
One day we will establish colonies on the sun.
That's just not going to happen. Might tip it over..... smile
Hank Johnson would say it's safe, as long as we go at night.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well, it WOULD be cooler than Arizona anyway.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One Second After, was well done. Reading it was strange because I live close to the area it was written about....

Do any of the other Hams here work 160 Meters? The antenna analyzer says my wire is resonate on 1900 but I have not heard another station in probably a year???

Please don't feed the trolls!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by las
That's just not going to happen. Might tip it over..... smile
Hank Johnson would say it's safe, as long as we go at night.

That literally made me laugh. Good one….😂👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by luv2safari

The Hell you say!
shocked
We’ll have to go at night

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
One Second After, was well done. Reading it was strange because I live close to the area it was written about....

Do any of the other Hams here work 160 Meters? The antenna analyzer says my wire is resonate on 1900 but I have not heard another station in probably a year???

Me too. It is set in Black Mountain. I am 35 miles away on the other side of Asheville.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las
Sounds like what fugged up our internet Saturday and Sunday. But maybe not.
With Starlink I had great service right through about 8" of snow. I was impressed and concerned for nothing.

Lovin' my Starlink. Screw ye Telalaska.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Denton,

When and what freq. is the Beehive net?

7272 KHz, daily at 1230 Mountain. It's the place to go if you have formal message traffic.

Be not weary in well doing.
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
We will undoubtedly have another Carrington level solar event. It is just a matter of time.

Without hardening, it will probably take out a large share of the electric grid. Internet probably won't survive. People who know how to do for themselves will probably be less affected, but look for major shortages of food and medicine.

It's less dramatic than a nuclear EMP, since it probably won't affect vehicle electronics, but fuel will quickly become a problem.

Several years ago, I saw an estimate that for $2 billion we could harden the electric grid. That seems like cheap insurance to me.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Denton,

When and what freq. is the Beehive net?

7272 KHz, daily at 1230 Mountain. It's the place to go if you have formal message traffic.

Thanks.

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks like we got zapped again. Bands above 40 meters were nearly vacant at a time that they should have been packed. frown

OTOH, I did get a confirmation for a contact with a Ukrainian ham stationed in Antarctica, which was nice to get.

Last edited by denton; 11/08/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Denton were you able to make that contact on single side band voice??? I have yet to make a contact in Antarctica. Big points that the ham there was Ukrainian.

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Denton were you able to make that contact on single side band voice??? I have yet to make a contact in Antarctica. Big points that the ham there was Ukrainian.

I was using FT8. It's remarkable for weak signal work.

My station is fairly modest, just 100 watts and a simple antenna, so FT8 makes it possible to work stations that I otherwise could not.

Last edited by denton; 11/09/23.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H

I was using FT8. It's remarkable for weak signal work.

But I've heard that FT8 isn't "real" ham radio....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are people in our local club that are overjoyed with FT8.. They are filling up their log books with areas they didn't think they would ever get....

I'm a rag chewer. I got into radio to have conversations with interesting people I never would have "met" any other way. Everybody is different and that's a good thing. Personally I'd rather watch paint dry than have my computer talk to someone else's . I'm glad FT8 is generally in band space separate from voice operating areas.

I have heard complaints that Morse code operators have abandoned ship to work FT8 instead.

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are people in our local club that are overjoyed with FT8.. They are filling up their log books with areas they didn't think they would ever get....

I'm a rag chewer. I got into radio to have conversations with interesting people I never would have "met" any other way. Everybody is different and that's a good thing. Personally I'd rather watch paint dry than have my computer talk to someone else's . I'm glad FT8 is generally in band space separate from voice operating areas.

I have heard complaints that Morse code operators have abandoned ship to work FT8 instead.

Yes, I think we have fewer and fewer people using Morse. For weak signal work, I understand that PSK31 is about as good as Morse, but a lot easier. There was a time that I could do 25 WPM, but have left it alone for so long that I could probably do half that now... on a good day.

If you're chasing DX, I think FT8 and SSB or CW contacts tend to be very similar in content: callsign, signal report, 73. So from a social standpoint I don't think they are much different. Well, except that on FT8 you can see who is working who on the whole FT8 segment of the band. It's kind of neat to see a guy in Wisconsin working a guy in Ukraine, a guy in Texas working a guy in Venezuela, etc., all at once. The other neat thing about FT8 is that it constantly gives you brutally honest feedback about how your system is performing, since you get and give a true signal report in each contact.

Now that I'm back on the air, my next project is getting set up for Parks On The Air. Just waiting for a little bit of antenna hardware to land in my mailbox. That will probably be mixed FT8 and SSB.

It's all about having some fun, and doing some good in the world.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We will undoubtedly have another Carrington level solar event. It is just a matter of time.

Without hardening, it will probably take out a large share of the electric grid. Internet probably won't survive. People who know how to do for themselves will probably be less affected, but look for major shortages of food and medicine.

It's less dramatic than a nuclear EMP, since it probably won't affect vehicle electronics, but fuel will quickly become a problem.

Several years ago, I saw an estimate that for $2 billion we could harden the electric grid. That seems like cheap insurance to me.

It would have been cheap indeed. I read a while back that there was actually solar flare/CME last year on the side of the sun opposite to our Earth that was much stronger than the Carrington event. If it had been on our side, it would've been beyond a disaster.
Fact is, our civilization would not survive a CME of Carrington magnitude. Without a power grid and internet, the world economy would cease to exist instantly. All commerce outside of the local farmer's market would grind to a rapid halt. Supply chains wouldnt just be slow, they'd be gone. So it wouldn't just be fuel in short supply... also all food except locally grown/sourced, virtually all medicines, manufactured clothing, building materials. Pretty grim prognosis, when you think about it.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, Doc, a massive solar flair would cause billions of deaths world wide.

Time to lock and load, fire up the wood stove, and get out the 5 gallon buckets of nitrogen packed corn and wheat, and your hand-cranked grain grinder. Do y'all have a source of water?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,546
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.