-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add Third Hand Stabilizer straps to your climber and once you get in position and cinch those down the stand is as solid as if it were custom built by a master carpenter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Summit. Not crazy about using climbers but they have their place especially on state land around CT. My buddy has a Lone Wolf that seems nicer than my Summit but they are $$$..

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to sleep in a tree lounge fairly regularly lol. Finally gave the thing away after realizing I killed way more deer while on my feet with ability to move/change locations very easily.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got two API Grand Slam Magnums and they're great. I like the chain instead of a cable.

This is the new version.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/api-outdoors-alumni-tech-magnum-climbing-treestand

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Like Seuss said Facebook marketplace! Go summit and don't look back. Can find real bargains on there on used stands. Summit razor my absolute favorite for bow hunting but has been discontinued

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
API with coated chain. Used it for years. Sits better than my ladder stands.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by scottf270
API with coated chain. Used it for years. Sits better than my ladder stands.

Loved my API, could snooze all day in it!

Parked it 5 years ago at 55

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two Summit Vipers. They're awesome. I'd go Goliath or Titan if not carrying it in very far.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
I went looking for a replacement for my 25 year old summit.

Have you seen the MARP on the new Lone Wolf “cross over” stand? 😳😆

I actually might consider buying one. Yes the price is really high but I have a few stands sitting around collecting dust and the sit and climb I use now is getting pretty tired. Sell them all and buy one. I'd rather have the Crossover than a bunch of crap that's not being used laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not since me and my Baker peeled both sides of a poplar tree like a banana on the way to the bottom. Don't you guys have limbs on your trees? I rather like disappearing in a spruce tree canopy to being a conspicuous lump on the side of an open tree.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I started with an Amacker lightweight stand and then moved to an Ole Man with a sling type seat. I haven’t used either in many years but I still find myself thinking, “that’s a good tree for a climber”.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
Not since me and my Baker peeled both sides of a poplar tree like a banana on the way to the bottom. Don't you guys have limbs on your trees? I rather like disappearing in a spruce tree canopy to being a conspicuous lump on the side of an open tree.
I found one of those old Bakers at the base of a tree a couple years ago. The V on the back was grown into the tree and there was moss on the platform. I guessed at the time someone rode it to the ground and left the phugger where it landed. I found myself looking around for bones of the victim. grin

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
One of the first times my son used a climber, it was with the Amacker. I helped him get it set up and before I walked off to my spot I reminded him to tie the bottom platform to the top. I always used two paracord lines to attach the top and bottom sections.

I got about 50 yards and I heard a helluva racket and turned around to see him sitting about 10’ up with a sheepish grin and the bottom platform at the base of the tree. I walked back and old Dad hard time not giving him an “I told you so” but I kept it to myself but it was a good lesson. I told him how to hug the tree and got him down where he could get the bottom tied off.

Those older climbers could be a little treacherous and you had to really pay attention to what you were doing at all times.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by Windfall
I found one of those old Bakers at the base of a tree a couple years ago. The V on the back was grown into the tree and there was moss on the platform. I guessed at the time someone rode it to the ground and left the phugger where it landed. I found myself looking around for bones of the victim. grin

He may have left it there while getting the "Baker Burn" from hugging the tree on the way down treated.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
and the bottom platform at the base of the tree.

We have one guy that absolutely takes every shortcut he can. He now places high priority on tying the two platforms together. grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buckshot Stands

I have had the one I am using since about 1990. Faces the tree so you can use it as a brace or to hide behind. Have killed a lot of nice deer out of mine over the years. The newer ones are a little lighter.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Used to in my rough n wilder days ol man climbers are death traps☠️

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use a summit viper if the conditions are right, usually early bow season when the foliage is still up. Started with the old baker back in the early 80's, still have it, haven't used it since the 90's. Think I keep it just to occasional look at it and remember the some of those hunts.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Still hunting and carrying a climber on my back at 63...but it's getting harder every year. I'm good once I get up in a tree and am happy I went through the effort, until it's time to go and carry it back out!

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The leveling system on the Cougar climbers has my attention! Nothing worse than misjudging the angle you need at ground level only to have a mucked up situation at your desired height.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.