Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article281585958.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

‘Defective’ nail gun shoots nail through carpenter’s tongue and head, lawsuit says BY JULIA MARNIN NOVEMBER 08, 2023 9:28 AM

A CT scan of Timothy Kahae’s skull on Nov. 15, 2021, shows the nail in his head, according to the lawsuit. Complaint A California carpenter is suing a power tool manufacturer over its “defective” nail gun he says misfired and shot a nail through his tongue and into his head while he was at work.

Timothy Kualii Kahae, who is now 28, needed emergency surgery to remove the nail that was lodged in the base of his skull in an incident that left him “permanently scarred,” a complaint filed Nov. 3 in federal court says. While working as an apprentice carpenter for Plant Construction Company L.P., which is based in San Francisco, Kahae was nailing down plywood on the fourth floor of a construction site with the Hitachi Pneumatic Nailer nail gun on Nov. 15, 2021, according to the complaint. This is when the nail gun misfired and simultaneously shot out two nails — one of which ricocheted off the other nail, launching it upward and into Kahae’s tongue and skull, the complaint says.

Kahae, who “went into shock,” approached his co-workers, bleeding, to report what happened and was taken to a Stanford health clinic, where he needed emergency surgery, according to the complaint. He ultimately had to wait a day for the surgical procedure to remove the nail, repair wounds to his tongue and the roof of his mouth, and more, the complaint says.

Kahae racked up more than $400,000 in medical bills and missed out on $30,000 in wages as a result of his injuries, according to the complaint. Now, Kahae, of San Francisco, is suing the nail gun’s manufacturers, Hitachi Koki U.S.A., a Georgia-based corporation, and Koki Holdings Co., which is based in Japan, the complaint shows. He accuses them of negligence. McClatchy News attempted to reach the companies for comment on Nov. 8 and didn’t receive an immediate response.

2014 RECALL ON HITACHI PNEUMATIC NAILERS

In June 2014, the companies issued a recall of more than 25,000 of their Hitachi Koki Pneumatic Nailer nail guns, the complaint says. The recall, announced by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, included a hazard notice, saying the “nailers can jam and override the safety switch that permits only one nail to fire at a time, posing an injury risk.” In addition to 25,000 nail guns recalled in the U.S., 300 were recalled in Canada, the alert said.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article281585958.html#storylink=cpy

I built my house with a Hitachi framing nailer (and a trim nailer from them, too)… fantastic tools, both of them. I was unaware of the recall, I better look into that. Crazy X-ray. Not sure I believe his story, though… why was the thing pointed at his FACE?! Maybe non-gun people are just careless that way.

Maybe if you had any reading comprehension skills you'd know the answer to that question, Lol what a stupid fuqk!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This was the 5th and last one. I’m a slow learner.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not pneumatic, but the nicest, handiest, most portable one I ever used was butane powered… it used those butane lighter refill cans…

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was talking to a bubby once and he had a framing gun in one hand and two little blocks of wood in the other, lol the dumbass took the framing gun and shot a nail through the two pieces of wood and the palm of his hand before I could say anything, wish I had a pic of the look on his face. He got pissed because I couldn't stop laughing.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I shot a nail through a knothole, and it whizzed right by my kid’s head on the other side of the wall. I didn’t make a big deal out of it at the time, but it scared the hell out of me!

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jackmountain
no matter how dumb no matter how stupid that's got a [bleep] hurt man...

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Used them for years, decades would be more honest. Been hit twice. Once nailing the corner stud into a wall, had a sheeting trigger in the gun and it slipped and shot a nail right along the stud and into the side of my index finger. Pulled that one out and went back to work.

The next week, boss was nailing sheeting in a valley, somehow ricocheted a nail into my thumb while I was standing behind him. I wanted him to pull it out, he wouldn’t. For some reason, I couldn’t. He drove me to the hospital instead at a stupid rate of speed. Got some Nazi looking older nurse, so to mess with him, I asked her if they had a wire brush they could run through there to clean it out. His mouth fell open, and she never missed a beat, told me, “Nope. We use plastic.” He damn near passed out.

A lot of folks don’t know, most of these guns have a trigger assembly for bump firing, called a sheeting trigger, and also may come with an assembly that can be installed to make it where you have to depress the plunger, then pull the trigger before the gun will fire. Using the wrong one for the job is where a lot of the injuries come from. I am willing to bet the Cali dude had a double nail jam and did not disconnect the air before attempting to clear it. His story is not impossible, but a lot less likely than what I suspect.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As if regular duty wasn't dangerous enough, our dumbasses would have gunfights with the nailers.
The staple guns though, not the 16d guns.
Ah, the good ol' days.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to shoot my guys with my N-45 ridgerunner.

Hold the plunger down and give em some full auto. High as f*ck and shooting each other with roofing nails.

Good times

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My n-80 stick nailer, had to be serious that sob, no playing around.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After a hurricane i was building a closet frame with some 2x4 and 16 penny nails.

Oiled the gun like the booklet said and tested it a few times on a piece of scrap.

All went well until nailing the last boards together and had a double shot.

They both went into my left index and middle finger,real tight group for sure.

Stopped at the red cross station that was close to get them removed but they said they could not do it to go to the hospital.

Went there and had some fast service because no one had ever seen it before.

All was golden till i had to wait for the xray folks to come see if they had gone thru the bones.

The nails got cold and my hand started to hurt like hell.

By blowing on them some i managed to get them to ease up some,i knew that i had about 45 minutes before it would really come out of shock and hurt bad.

Doc came in with the news that they were just in meat so he cleaned them up gave me a shot in both fingers and went to pulling them out.

Want to say that the glue on them was real good.

He was cleaning the holes with a syringe when one hole was filled it shot a stream across the floor.

I laughed and he told me that most he had seen with injuries to the fingers would be crying about then.

I told him if i did not laugh i would have as well.

Before he pulled them he did ask if he could take some pictures to show the other Docs and i said go ahead.

My Mom let me have the rest of the day off,after wondering what had happened to me not coming home for lunch.

I went back the next day but never trusted that cheap nail gun again.

Still have the roofing nailgun i got at the same time.

Katrina was painful for a lot of folks worse than me for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Used to shoot my guys with my N-45 ridgerunner.

Hold the plunger down and give em some full auto. High as f*ck and shooting each other with roofing nails.

Good times

BS…No works gets done when you’re high.

🙄🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain

That’s gotta be better than jamming a tuna hook into your paw.

A straight pull and that nail is out. A large, barbed circle hook, can be a lot more fun.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked in residential construction for thirty years and used multiple brands of framing and finish nailer, staplers and brad nailers. Accidents can happen, tools can malfunction, especially if they need cleaning and maintenance. Slips and falls, stepping on nails, broken glass and wood, falling debris, you have to watch out and be careful. I got fingers several times with trim nailers when nails would strike something hard and curl right back up at you out of the piece being installed.
We used Paslode framers, they had sequential triggers. You couldn't bump fire them without removing the trigger and installing a different part. Bump fire is dangerous, the safety foot can easily get pressed in unintentionally and it's no faster trying to nail like that anyway. Without being there and handling the nailer I won't judge whether the guy with the lawsuit has a legit claim or not. Damages sought seem excessive but again without knowing all the circumstances who knows?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If you giterdoneyesterday guys would learn to use a regular hammer, that chit don't happen. smile

Heck- I try to avoid even those hand hammer things (for good reason I might add).

I've gone almost exclusively to screws. It helps when one has to redo or modify things too.

You might say I'm not exactly into "production"..... smile

OK - I had to buy a pneumatic stapler when I was rebuilding the camper.... Probably never use it again- should sell it I guess.

Last edited by las; 11/09/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Y'all be careful with those air hammers, they can hurt you really bad.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Should a nail gun have a safety?

It does... Between the operator's ears...

ETA: Use a Bostich 400 to build oak wagon flats. Will recess a 4" twist nail 1/8" into green oak lumber. As mentioned above, anytime I had one nail on top of another, the second one ends up twisted like a pretzel. Typically a PITA to remove from the nail gun barrel. I see zero deformation in the OP X-Ray... Story doesn't add up...

Last edited by Orion2000; 11/10/23.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Only when I build T1-11 "She Sheds"...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
In the 70's at (then) beautiful Bowling Green Ky., worked for a while with a framing company, attended WKU for a while. Don L. (we called him Donnel) ran the framing crew. Built like a running back. One chilly morning Donnel was walking top plates with a framing nailer, slipped on a patch of frost and while reaching for the framing to prevent a fall, ran a 16 penny nail through his ankle. Pinned the top of his boot neatly to his ankle. Off to the emergency room where the doctor split the pant leg of a pair of Levis. Donnel didn't like that at all. Next up was a heavy shear to cut the boot away from his ankle. Donnel didn't like that either, "you're not going to ruin my new boots, get me a hammer, I'll pull it myself". A pair of pliers were produced and both Donnel and the boot survived. Nailer wars with nearby competing crews were not unknown. Lunch behind a sheet of plywood was SOP. Yes, the follies of youth.

Later that year a restaurant in B.G. was being remodeled, sheathing fastened to steel prior to tile on interior walls. A workman using a Paslode ran a fastener through a void where a window had been covered. A lady waiting at a stop light out front was struck in the temple, she passed away sitting there.

Did custom trim for a while. When brading a miter join, learned to orient the chisel point of a brad cross grain rather than to follow grain. Otherwise a brad sometimes turned into a hook with the potential to fasten a nearby finger to the assembly.

Years later while occupied as a vocational instructor, a talented student was building a tall clock case. He was using a brad nailer to fasten moldings. Another student was watching and picked up the nailer. The first guy took it away and cautioned him be careful, "it's loaded", then put it back down. The dummy picked it back up and pressing it against the forefinger of his left hand, pulled the trigger.

Off to the hospital. Amputation was seriously considered. One of the brighter male nurses suggested a pair of vice grips would be useful. VG's not often found in a surgical kit, off went the attendant to a nearby Ace Hdw. Finger remained intact, the operation was a success.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Later that year a restaurant in B.G. was being remodeled, sheathing fastened to steel prior to tile on interior walls. A workman using a Paslode ran a fastener through a void where a window had been covered. A lady waiting at a stop light out front was struck in the temple, she passed away sitting there.

what was the result of that action? did he get a manslaughter charge?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,091
Posts18,501,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.