-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have a pneumatic nailer but I do have a Milwaukee M18 framing nailer and brad nailer. It won't fire unless the tip is depressed. Is this feature not on pneumatic nailers?

Carpe' Scrotum

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steve
Don't have a pneumatic nailer but I do have a Milwaukee M18 framing nailer and brad nailer. It won't fire unless the tip is depressed.

You can fix that with a piece of wire...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The guy in the x-ray was trying to commit suicide. I've been using nail guns for years and never thought about putting one in my mouth.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Regards, KFWA:
"what was the result of that action?"
Can't answer that. Early '80's, was much discussed "in the field".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timeltel
Regards, KFWA:

I expected you to say nothing happened, growing up in Ky in the 80's it was very much a "[bleep] happens" approach to those sorts of things

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used finish and trim nailers when I switched to just finish carpentry but the only air gun we used when doing custom homes from the ground up were the M2 staplers for putting down roof sheeting. All wall framing was done by hand. We’d walk through other jobs to point out things to our younger guys and they’d see gaps in studs to plates and end studs in interior walls nailed to outer walls with 3-4 gun nails that were not tight and they understood why we built the way we did.

Definitely have had a few pin nails curl back up out of the trim and try to get my attention but one learns real quick when the fingers need to be to stay out of reach.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother and I were working construction on a big apartment job in Atlanta. I was walking down the road there in the middle of the job site, suddenly I saw a "puff" of dust there in the road. Suddenly, 3 more puffs. I heard Stu yell out "Die, you dirty Jap!" I dove behind a big bundle of 2x4s and I heard a dozen nails bouncing off the stack of lumber. I saw several nails get imbedded in the dirt a few feet away.

Stu was up on the roof nailing 1/2 inch plywood decking. He had a big pneumatic nail gun, where there was a gasoline powered air pump on the ground, and a red air hose ran up 30 feet to the roof where Stu was running the machine. The damn gun had a mag that held about 250 8d nails. Stu had figured out how to hold down the safety, the tip, and fire the big gun on "full auto." It might have been semi auto, but he was firing it mighty fast.

I guess Stu had watched too many WW2 combat movies. Maybe he was getting payback for what the Japs did to Sgt. Stryker on Iwo Jima.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was nailing blocking, tees, corners and headers one morning, switched from 3-1/2" nails to 3", thought that I was safe to have my fingers behind a block and discovered that one 3-1/2"x131 had stuck in the mag. Right through a finger, nicked the bone but didn't break it. Got fingernails squashed plenty of times with good old hammers too. Sticking saw guard will get you too. Never cut me but ate up some cables. Knew one person who had a saw run across their foot. Not funny at all, surgeon had to pull all the tendons back into place and reattach.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by jackmountain
This was the 5th and last one. I’m a slow learner.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s gotta be better than jamming a tuna hook into your paw.

A straight pull and that nail is out. A large, barbed circle hook, can be a lot more fun.

🦫

Pics or it didn’t happen?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
Regards, KFWA:

I expected you to say nothing happened, growing up in Ky in the 80's it was very much a "[bleep] happens" approach to those sorts of things

Regards KFWA:
Never heard anything more of it.
Still a lot of "rugged individualism" in rural Ky. Then there's Louisville & Lex.

Found out I wasn't so "rugged" when while starting a 16d with an Estwing 22oz. waffle head framing hammer. Slammed my thumb instead. Hopped around for a minute--

Putting an 18 unit apartment complex up (mid 70's), across the road was a retirement home. A gentleman would come across, stay a respectful distance and just watch the activity.
One day a transformer blew. Heck of an arc--. Ol' boy hit the ground. Said he was a WW11 vet, flashback.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a couple of close calls, but no direct hits.
Kurt was passing a nail gun behind him while hanging rafters.
Ended up putting three 12d sinkers in his ass cheek! cry

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 11/10/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shootem
Nails can do weird stuff when they ricochet. Back in the mid 70s I worked with a guy on residential construction that caught a 16 sinker directly in the pupil. He tapped it to start then on the first lick swung a little off the head and it bounced from the bottom plate of an outside wall, to the sheathing, then straight into the pupil. Called him Bad Eye after that.

He was a hoot. Two pink hearts in black coffee to wake up then usually a yellow jacket or three during the day. Fell off a third story balcony walk board doing a rafter layout. Wasn’t paying attention to where his feet were and stepped off the end. Lots of deep moist clay where fork lifts had been was his only salvation. Did a perfect crime scene figure in the mud. Got up walked away and was back at work the next morning. Ahhhh construction.

Zeke was an accident waiting for a place to happen. Mashed fingers, broken arms and ribs, etc, etc. Fell off
Fell 2 feet off a drilling rig walkway, broke his neck and killed him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article281585958.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

‘Defective’ nail gun shoots nail through carpenter’s tongue and head, lawsuit says BY JULIA MARNIN NOVEMBER 08, 2023 9:28 AM

A CT scan of Timothy Kahae’s skull on Nov. 15, 2021, shows the nail in his head, according to the lawsuit. Complaint A California carpenter is suing a power tool manufacturer over its “defective” nail gun he says misfired and shot a nail through his tongue and into his head while he was at work.

Timothy Kualii Kahae, who is now 28, needed emergency surgery to remove the nail that was lodged in the base of his skull in an incident that left him “permanently scarred,” a complaint filed Nov. 3 in federal court says. While working as an apprentice carpenter for Plant Construction Company L.P., which is based in San Francisco, Kahae was nailing down plywood on the fourth floor of a construction site with the Hitachi Pneumatic Nailer nail gun on Nov. 15, 2021, according to the complaint. This is when the nail gun misfired and simultaneously shot out two nails — one of which ricocheted off the other nail, launching it upward and into Kahae’s tongue and skull, the complaint says.

Kahae, who “went into shock,” approached his co-workers, bleeding, to report what happened and was taken to a Stanford health clinic, where he needed emergency surgery, according to the complaint. He ultimately had to wait a day for the surgical procedure to remove the nail, repair wounds to his tongue and the roof of his mouth, and more, the complaint says.

Kahae racked up more than $400,000 in medical bills and missed out on $30,000 in wages as a result of his injuries, according to the complaint. Now, Kahae, of San Francisco, is suing the nail gun’s manufacturers, Hitachi Koki U.S.A., a Georgia-based corporation, and Koki Holdings Co., which is based in Japan, the complaint shows. He accuses them of negligence. McClatchy News attempted to reach the companies for comment on Nov. 8 and didn’t receive an immediate response.

2014 RECALL ON HITACHI PNEUMATIC NAILERS

In June 2014, the companies issued a recall of more than 25,000 of their Hitachi Koki Pneumatic Nailer nail guns, the complaint says. The recall, announced by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, included a hazard notice, saying the “nailers can jam and override the safety switch that permits only one nail to fire at a time, posing an injury risk.” In addition to 25,000 nail guns recalled in the U.S., 300 were recalled in Canada, the alert said.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article281585958.html#storylink=cpy

I built my house with a Hitachi framing nailer (and a trim nailer from them, too)… fantastic tools, both of them. I was unaware of the recall, I better look into that. Crazy X-ray. Not sure I believe his story, though… why was the thing pointed at his FACE?! Maybe non-gun people are just careless that way.

man as I was from California it's probably a front wiping window licking liberal bitch like Jeff 0

Literate much? 😂 Nothing like getting “insulted” by a troll who can’t string a sentence together. Good effort, ID! Good effort. 👍

I’m with the notion he had a jam and pointed it at his own face… they don’t recoil enough (FFS, not like a SW .500 like someone said) to make one fly up and do that. Handle one sometime; the Hitachi framer is a big heavy sucker. In fact the recoil is negligible.

Great tools. With a little gizmo on the end they shoot the right nail for hanging Hardi Plank siding… used mine for that too.

Their trim nailer is a sleek, svelt gem of a tool.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
Regards, KFWA:

Regards KFWA:
Never heard anything more of it.
Still a lot of "rugged individualism" in rural Ky. Then there's Louisville & Lex.

Found out I wasn't so "rugged" when while starting a 16d with an Estwing 22oz. waffle head framing hammer. Slammed my thumb instead. Hopped around for a minute--

Putting an 18 unit apartment complex up (mid 70's), across the road was a retirement home. A gentleman would come across, stay a respectful distance and just watch the activity.
One day a transformer blew. Heck of an arc--. Ol' boy hit the ground. Said he was a WW11 vet, flashback.

I built my first building, what’s now my shop, just a simple rectangle about 1000 ft/2, in the early 90’s using just a framing hammer. Bought the wrong size TECO nails for the truss hangers, but if you hit them just right, you could still bang them through… hit one WRONG, and that fresh waffle face on my new hammer tore the whole side of my left pointer finger off up by the nail… it’s still numb there.

While building my house I discovered a power tool called, of all things, a “Multi Tool”. I think Fein was the original maker but mine is a Makita. You don’t use it much, but when you need one, they RULE.

Got a floor nailer that I bought for our build that I’m about to get to use again helping a buddy install hardwood at his coast house… those things are a trip. Whack ‘em with a mallet. POW!

Last edited by Jeff_O; 11/10/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I used to use one of those disposable knives you snap the blade off and move it to the next segment when it gets dull, for cutting ridge cap back when all the shingles were three tab. That was one of my jobs when Dad and I were roofing together. Well, I dragged that sucker diagonally across my middle finger somehow, and it slice right through the nail and all the way down to the skin of the pad on that fingertip. I just flipped it back together, and wrapped it up with a nonstick pad from the first aid kit and some electrical tape.

It was healing really well, until a couple weeks later, right after I was able to take off the bandage. That’s when I was nailing roof sheeting with a 22 oz. waffle head framer that I just bought. One whack to set it, one more to drive it. That second whack landed squarely on that healing fingertip instead of the nail. It’s not the longest I ever hurt for, not even close. But it ranks in the top three at least, and could be the winner, for the worst I ever hurt.

Last edited by APredator; 11/10/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I managed to build a house without significant injury, but a big part of that was doing it when I was (am) old enough to have gotten past the stoopid injuries of our youth… lol.

You’ll see guys try to pitch me crap about falling off a ladder… I’ve never fallen off a ladder, but by the time I finished roofing our new house, with metal, it was well into October, and there’d be frost up there in the mornings… freaking metal roofs are SLICK if there’s any moisture at all and it would condense between my sole and the cold metal and what WAS good traction would change without warning… by the time I was done roofing that thing I’d completely lost my nerve up there. I was so damn ready to not be on a roof… keep in mind, I built it, from scratch…including that I carried every single sheet of 5/8” ply up a ladder to sheath it… but I was done. Kaput. Nerves were shot.

The body learns… When I first got back into machining I saw my own blood every damn day out there. Now I very rarely do… my buddy was watching me fillet salmon one time and kept wanting to tell me to be careful with the filet knife… sheeeeit…. when I gave my kids their first pocket knives, I said here you go! Now go cut yourself. It’s how you learn NOT to cut yourself! And they did. Both now carry SHARP Benchmade’s and do not cut themselves.

Butchered a deer yesterday, I would say I’ll cut myself about 1/3 of the times I do that, not badly, but still… it’s just such a long job, I get tired, and I keep my knives wicked sharp, and every now and then, d’oh! Didn’t so much as nick myself yesterday though.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article281585958.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

‘Defective’ nail gun shoots nail through carpenter’s tongue and head, lawsuit says BY JULIA MARNIN NOVEMBER 08, 2023 9:28 AM

A CT scan of Timothy Kahae’s skull on Nov. 15, 2021, shows the nail in his head, according to the lawsuit. Complaint A California carpenter is suing a power tool manufacturer over its “defective” nail gun he says misfired and shot a nail through his tongue and into his head while he was at work.

Timothy Kualii Kahae, who is now 28, needed emergency surgery to remove the nail that was lodged in the base of his skull in an incident that left him “permanently scarred,” a complaint filed Nov. 3 in federal court says. While working as an apprentice carpenter for Plant Construction Company L.P., which is based in San Francisco, Kahae was nailing down plywood on the fourth floor of a construction site with the Hitachi Pneumatic Nailer nail gun on Nov. 15, 2021, according to the complaint. This is when the nail gun misfired and simultaneously shot out two nails — one of which ricocheted off the other nail, launching it upward and into Kahae’s tongue and skull, the complaint says.

Kahae, who “went into shock,” approached his co-workers, bleeding, to report what happened and was taken to a Stanford health clinic, where he needed emergency surgery, according to the complaint. He ultimately had to wait a day for the surgical procedure to remove the nail, repair wounds to his tongue and the roof of his mouth, and more, the complaint says.

Kahae racked up more than $400,000 in medical bills and missed out on $30,000 in wages as a result of his injuries, according to the complaint. Now, Kahae, of San Francisco, is suing the nail gun’s manufacturers, Hitachi Koki U.S.A., a Georgia-based corporation, and Koki Holdings Co., which is based in Japan, the complaint shows. He accuses them of negligence. McClatchy News attempted to reach the companies for comment on Nov. 8 and didn’t receive an immediate response.

2014 RECALL ON HITACHI PNEUMATIC NAILERS

In June 2014, the companies issued a recall of more than 25,000 of their Hitachi Koki Pneumatic Nailer nail guns, the complaint says. The recall, announced by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, included a hazard notice, saying the “nailers can jam and override the safety switch that permits only one nail to fire at a time, posing an injury risk.” In addition to 25,000 nail guns recalled in the U.S., 300 were recalled in Canada, the alert said.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article281585958.html#storylink=cpy

I built my house with a Hitachi framing nailer (and a trim nailer from them, too)… fantastic tools, both of them. I was unaware of the recall, I better look into that. Crazy X-ray. Not sure I believe his story, though… why was the thing pointed at his FACE?! Maybe non-gun people are just careless that way.

man as I was from California it's probably a front wiping window licking liberal bitch like Jeff 0

Literate much? 😂 Nothing like getting “insulted” by a troll who can’t string a sentence together. Good effort, ID! Good effort. 👍

I’m with the notion he had a jam and pointed it at his own face… they don’t recoil enough (FFS, not like a SW .500 like someone said) to make one fly up and do that. Handle one sometime; the Hitachi framer is a big heavy sucker. In fact the recoil is negligible.

Great tools. With a little gizmo on the end they shoot the right nail for hanging Hardi Plank siding… used mine for that too.

Their trim nailer is a sleek, svelt gem of a tool.

I can blame talk to text , but you're still in ignorant [bleep]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s “AN ignorant [bleep]”, you ignorant bleep!

It was already very clear that you flunked middle-school civics class…. startin’ to think you flunked middle school in general! 😂

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... I built my first building, what’s now my shop, just a simple rectangle about 1000 ft/2, in the early 90’s using just a framing hammer. Bought the wrong size TECO nails for the truss hangers, but if you hit them just right, you could still bang them through… hit one WRONG, and that fresh waffle face on my new hammer tore the whole side of my left pointer finger off up by the nail… it’s still numb there. ..."

Making $4/hr hauling building materials for a lumber yard.
I became friendly with a customer. He started a new build and I asked for a job! He said, "Okay!" and gave me a $2/hr raise to $6/hr.
Before leaving the lumber yard, I used my employee discount to buy a brand spanking new 20 ounce, Vaughn framing hammer.
Two days on the job, I was setting a 12d sinker....that fancy new waffle head peeled the hide off my left thumb that left a half dime sized flap of skin hanging off my thumb!
After the butt pucker relaxed and my eyes uncrossed, a paper towel and some black electrical tape staunched the blood flow!
Then I walked to the edge of the slab and worked that waffle head down to a smoothish cross hatch!
By the end of the week, Stan gave me a dollar raise up to $7/hr.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 11/11/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This all brings back youthful memories. Especially Carpenter’s Thumb tales. First construction job I ever had was an apartment complex with prefab panels, exterior covered with what was then called politically incorrect knee gar board. Site boss was showing us younguns how to move along at the proper pace. We were standing first floor outside walls on a slab that wasn’t even cured yet. Boss sets a concrete nail in a bottom plate, spreads thumb and forefinger around the nail and gives it a whack meant to seat it to the head in one stroke. Hammer head glanced onto the thumb and blood splattered on the wall and plate. Weren’t a pretty sight. Boss just doubled over and moaned. Lesson learned for the new recruits.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,057
Posts18,501,098
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.