Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This goes back to a post I made earlier in the year regarding single-shot rifles.

Originally Posted by shaman
I am single-shot curious.

Let me repent. When I started hunting back in Regan's 1st term, my mentors were definitely against going afield with only a single shot. I had a Vietnam vet and a WWII vet among my close friends. Their philosophies were boiled down to laying in enough rounds to assure the game was down. I started deer hunting with a Remington 742.

It is from that background that I grew as a hunter. My philosophy has always been to take the shot and then strive to get back on target for a second shot as quickly as possible. I never wanted to get caught up in Golfer's Syndrome.

But here's the thing: I'm looking at 40+ years of experience now. The last time I actually got a chance at a second shot was 2010, and I have only a few other incidents (2002, 2005 and 2006) where I had to take more than one shot at an animal to put it down. Normally, by the time I get another round jacked in and get the crosshairs back on target, I'm met with 4 feet sticking up in the air.

It is only recently that I started to reconsider all this. Those 4 incidents mentioned:

2002: I put several into a small doe at less than 20 yards. All were in the boiler room, but the animal kept walking. See Ode to a 30-30 PT 3
2005: I put 3 into a large buck that just stood there and stared at me. He finallly went down as I was chambering the 4th round. See Hubert D. Buck vs Mister Whelen
2006: I put 1 into a buck that immediately bedded. I got down from my stand and put in a finisher. See The Shaman Backs into a Buck. . .
2010: I shot at a buck about 100 yards out. He acted unfazed and walked over to a barbed wire fence at the edge of the field. I lit him up a second time as he paused before jumping. See The Shaman Bags and 8-Pointer

In all these cases, the animal was dead after the 1st shot. They just didn't know it. I maybe saved them a little time putting in any follow-up.

I am left to conclude that I could have easily spent the last 5 decades hunting with a single-shot rifle.

I'm wondering: how does this stack up with the rest of you? I'm not claiming to be a wiz or anything. I'm just interested in y'all's need for a follow-on shot.

In my case, I eventually resolved to load no more than 3 rounds, and have been operating like that for 20 years or more. I figured if it ever goes past that, I probably need to take a break and rethink what's going on.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ll play.

I always prepare for a follow up shot and as long as the animal remains standing I’ll put another round or two into it. Once it’s down I’ll watch it through the sights for a couple of minutes if I have a view of it. If no view is available I’ll get down there quickly to make sure it’s dead. I’ve seen “dead” animals get up and start to leave a few times and have heard stories from others with similar experiences.

Like you most of my follow up shots where in fact not required.

It is extremely rare that I hunt from a fixed blind. Most of the shots I have taken the in the past years have involved some level of stalking to intercept a moving animal. Distances are variable, there is very often a wind to be concerned about, and my shooting position is always determined by terrain and ground cover. The high level of variance in “set up” leads to higher levels of uncertainty in shot placement therefore I am always ready to launch a follow up or two.

I have hunted with two single shot firearms; a NEF fully rifled 12 gauge break action and a Browning Low wall in .260. Was able to reload both of those rapidly enough to get follow shots with no issues.

I hope y’all are doing well and that this will be a fun and productive hunting season.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am firmly in the camp that regardless of firearm in my hand, I will shoot the deer again if it’s still on its feet.

Last edited by BrowningGuy88; 11/10/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I’m confident in my shot, I don’t shoot again, but quietly reload and observe, if possible. No sense blowing another big hole in something that’s dead on its feet, especially if it’s running off making an accurate second shot difficult. Pretty easy to tell in most cases if the shot is good, and aside from a couple high hits with my xbow, it’s been a long long time since I made a bad shot. I don’t take long running shots, and the bullet impact is usually visible.

OTOH, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot again if the first one was questionable.

The arguments against single shots for hunting are mostly nonsense, unless the proponents are the sort that take questionable pokes that often result in poor hits. I hear those guys often on opening day. I don’t want a deer that badly. No one seriously questions the use of muzzleloading rifles for hunting, and those are waaaayyyy slower to reload than even the slowest non-ejector break-action. Same for archery tackle, and crossbows are the worst, in my case requiring warm-up stretching, deep-breathing, and a mumbled prayer before I start tugging on that rope…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88
I am firmly in the camp that regardless of firearm in my hand, I will shoot the deer again if it’s still on its feetz

Same here. I've known too many folks who have lost deer after not taking that "bonus shot" when they had the opportunity while the deer was still trying to get away. I'll also stay locked in on a deer for several minutes after the shot to ensure it doesn't spring up and take off. Pigs are treated much the same. I'll often hit them with a neck shot and then a boiler room shot for insurance while they are kicking. I don't want anything to get away or suffer, needlessly, even if it is a varmint.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seems that most of my not DRT deer go over a hill or whatever-out of sight which here usually means they only have to take a couple of steps to accomplish.
Most are found dead over said hill.
Last time I took multiple shots was my best buck to date.
I was in my climber, shot him about @ 50-60 yards through a hard wood forest.
He ran straight towards me, stopped at about 20 yards out and just stood there.
He got a follow-up and was DRT.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mrs.FWT. lost an nice buck last year during muzzleloader season. Shot him and she said he fell like the hammer of Thor had hit him. Texted me all excited. Only to text back that he jumped up and ran off while fumbling with her primer on reload.
I figure she hit in no man's land above the lungs and just below the spine. We looked for a long time for that deer to no avail. She was heartbroken and I didn't feel to good myself.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I hunt often with one of my No 1’s or my Encore.Shooting a bolt gun today and knew I had a good hit on a buck. He ran 50 or 60 yards in the open before he hit the brush, but I wasn’t about to start waling away at a running deer. I found him another 30 yards or so in the brush.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Mrs.FWT. lost an nice buck last year during muzzleloader season. Shot him and she said he fell like the hammer of Thor had hit him. Texted me all excited. Only to text back that he jumped up and ran off while fumbling with her primer on reload.
I figure she hit in no man's land above the lungs and just below the spine. We looked for a long time for that deer to no avail. She was heartbroken and I didn't feel to good myself.

Despite common belief and myth, there is no such thing as "no man's land above the lungs and just below the spine." In fact the tops of the lungs fill the "space" along either side of the lower spine. And there's also a major blood vessel running through that "space."

She might have hit one of the spinal processes (the "fins" on top of the spine), which will have exactly the effect you describe. Such a hit usually results in very little blood trail.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting topic here. I have to admit that when I was a younger hunter, after I fired a shot into a deer, I would be guilty of watching where it went(if not a DRT)more than getting another round in the chamber for a follow up shot to keep it from going there. When I was about 14 or 15 I lost a huge doe to another neighboring hunter. I hammered her so hard on the left front shoulder at about 40 yards, she fell to her “knees”, stumbled back up and staggered up on the bench above me. Had probably 15 seconds to fire a follow up shot but didn’t because I thought she’d be laying about 50 yards above those rocks above me. Five minutes later(second big mistake)I started after her. She wasn’t there. Jumped her three times(third,fourth,fifth mistakes)each without a shot chance, and chased her to the other hunter who promptly blasted her across the hindquarters and then in the neck. He said he blew the softball size hole into her shoulder, as I was standing there with pieces of her shoulder blade in my vest pocket! Had I shot her a second time, or let her lay about 30 minutes the result probably would have been quite different.

I have had my share of one shot DRT bang-flops since then, but if the animal in question is still upright after the first shot, I’m rackin and crackin til it ain’t...and that includes my single shots. My Ruger #1’s with extra cartridge sleeves on the stock aren’t but a few seconds slower on a follow up than most bolt guns I own. When I hunt with my inline muzzleloader, I take several speedloaders along. Might not get an immediate follow up, but being ready for another as quick as you can ain’t a bad thing.

I’d rather have extra holes and meat on the plate instead of tag soup full of regret noodles, and a lost wounded animal.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Better make sure your follow up hits as good or better than the initial shot.

If it doesn't or if it's a miss that critter may kick it in the ass and go farther than if you had just remained quiet and let death take its time.

Had this issue last year. Buck turned as I shot, hit the last rib but instead of a quartering away shot it just ran the bullet up along the ribs and bullet stopped in the onside shoulder. Only shards of ribs and bullet made it to the lungs, glad I wasn't shooting a tough bullet here.

I watched that deer for 20 minutes struggle to get to its feet but then dash 4 or 5 yards and crash again, this happened several times. I knew if he could get another 20 yards or so he would be in an opening so I waited.

With all of the brush I elected to let him bleed out for however long it took. I was afraid that had I shot and missed he might actually get up and head out.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Better make sure your follow up hits as good or better than the initial shot.

If it doesn't or if it's a miss that critter may kick it in the ass and go farther than if you had just remained quiet and let death take its time. . . . .

^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^
I refrain from the victory dances and the whooping
it up and the " YESSSSSSSS ! ! ! " at the top of my lungs.
I do immediately put another in the chamber, but
not so much as a finisher, but JIC any other something
or other might need a lead injection as well if I have
other tags and excess empty freezer bags.
Also the feral dog/coydogs are pretty sharp when
it comes to interpreting gunshots during the season.
A few years ago I walked up to a deer and turned
and there were 2 canines behind me waiting for
the innards to hit the dirt

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i think it was sometime in the early 2000s that i needed to shoot twice. the areas that i hunt are close cover deer, so you only have one or two shots. 3 or more you are just slinging lead.

i love to use single shots, Ruger #1, TC Encore rifle and a Handi rifle are good to use. handguns are Ruger SBH, TC Encore and Contender are also used. i use a TC Encore and flintlock CVA Hawkins rifle in 50 caliber. one shot, one kill as my drill sergeants said.

i put 2 rounds in my bolt, lever and pump actions, it must have been 12 or 15 years ago. then i will put a couple of cartridges in my pocket, just in case.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would not hesitate to use a second shot if needed. Been lucky so far and never needed one . I will say I do not do running shots . If one runs I let it go and start looking for it after 20 minutes or so , so far all of those have been found dead.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Shoot till it drops

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
As I was reading this thread, I tried to remember the last time I was able to take more than one shot and I believe it was some time in the early 2000s. Most of my hunting is in thick areas that don’t afford an opportunity for more than one shot. In fact, the most shots I’ve EVER taken at an animal was at a small buck in, I think, ‘97 when I hit him with a fatal shot then proceeded to miss him twice before getting in an anchoring shot with my Ruger No. 1 in 6mm Remington. It was a bit of a rodeo.

I’m a firm believer in shooting until they drop if at all possible. I hunt with a single shot probably more than 50% of the time and haven’t ever felt disadvantaged.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Where we hunt it’s either a 100 yd drag or a mile I prefer the 100yds😉

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (44mc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 14 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.