Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My good friend wants to get out with his in-line muzzle loader and I am working on a stuck touch hole on my dads 45 cal Hawken flinter. An add from Midway made me hit the easy button. Was following good reports from coworkers in Mass that have put away their shotguns for the CVA inclines.
Found white hots at cabelas. Added power belts and barns blue tip sabots to the order. Still have CCI209M in inventory from reloading for geese.
Put a Redfield Revolution 2x7 on it and did a rough scope adjustment looking down the bore.
Went to the range and hung cardboard at 50yds. Guys were there sighting in shotguns for Wednesday opener. First power belt went in two and a half inches low. Adjusted the scope and the next one was on height one inch left.
Cleaned the bore w Balistol and moved to 100yds. First shot was about 5 inches left. Made an unnecessary adjustment right and hit way right. Was thinking shotgun accuracy and returned the scope most of the way back. The next two went in about an inch low, one inch apart. Put a Barnes blue tip sabbot in a clean bore and it hit the same elevation touching the other center hole.
I’m a bit stunned a $289 setup shoots 1 1/4” bullets just under 300 grains that tight. My 870 is spray and pray out that far.
Thanks go to those that have posted in the past on their loads. If the barns don’t bounce off deer I’ll be all set next week.
Will try to get pictures loaded later today.

Last edited by Bob_B257; 11/11/23.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I got one of those at a Big R closeout sale for about $140. Son one and I sighted it in yesterday using 245 Powerbelts, 70 grains of Black horn 209 (the platinum priced powder). Darn good little rifle. I have the Optima.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
CVA has come a long way the last few years. The muzzleloaders they are producing today don't leave much on the table in terms of accuracy. We had a new hunter in camp buy a CVA Wolf 2 and it's a shooter.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A friend of mine picked up a new CVA Wolf a couple weeks ago and wanted me to mount his scope and get it ready. After cleaning it, adding the mounts, rings, scope and bore sighting, it was ready to shoot. He brought all of his components to my home range for sighting in. He used 2- 777 50 grain pellets and a 245 gr. Power Belt. After only 7 shots he was putting all of his shots within 2” at 100 yards. He was happy and I was impressed with it.

After trying several different loads and bullet combinations this year with my old MK-85, I couldn’t get it to shoot like I wanted it to, After seeing what my friends Wolf did, I went and bought one for myself. Same gun preparations as his and mounted my scope. I am shooting 100 grains of loose 777 and a 240 gr. XTP in a yellow crush rib sabot. After only 6 shots, it was sighted in at 100 yards and shooting better than 2”.
After each shot I wiped the bore with a wet patch and dry patch. Average velocity of those 6 shots was chrono’d at 1785 fps.

After hunting with it for a few days and leaving it loaded I wanted to shoot it to see if everything was still on. I shot it at a 8” round steel target at 135 yards off of my deck and hit it dead center.

The only change I’m doing to do is to remove the one piece CVA scope mount and mount my scope using an EGW picatinny rail and Burris Signature Zee rings. Yes, I’m another satisfied CVA Wolf owner too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm glad that you guys are experiencing good accuracy from your Wolves (?). I will say that I am not a big fan of the Powerbelts on game, FWIW. Good luck this season.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had a wolf in 45 cal. Loved it. That sucker would clover leaf powerbelts and 90 grains of RS. Made some 200 plus yard shots with mine. I think I had 200 bucks in the entire rig.

S
S
I am also a CVA Wolf owner gun shoots very good Only problem I have had is one piece scope mount come loose two times. last time I used blue thread locker so far so good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a CVA years ago and got rid of it when we moved to AK. I’ve been looking hard at a new Wolf so I can take our required ML Hunting Ed to apply for specialty tags. I’ve got to have open sights, which fine with me.
I’m just glad I can use a 209 primer
On them here.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Update- added the EGW picatinny rail and Burris Signature Zee Rings. This gave me more even ring spacing and more adjustable eye relief.

Turned out pretty good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Papag
I got one of those at a Big R closeout sale for about $140. Son one and I sighted it in yesterday using 245 Powerbelts, 70 grains of Black horn 209 (the platinum priced powder). Darn good little rifle. I have the Optima.

That's where I got mine, too. Got the display one cheap because it was missing the hammer spur and something else that I can't remember from the box.

Originally Posted by Hudge
I had a CVA years ago and got rid of it when we moved to AK. I’ve been looking hard at a new Wolf so I can take our required ML Hunting Ed to apply for specialty tags. I’ve got to have open sights, which fine with me.
I’m just glad I can use a 209 primer
On them here.

The FO sights that come on them aren't bad at all. Hold a good zero and pull up for a decent sight picture. Williams also makes a couple peep sights for them, if you're looking to upgrade.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Finally got some pictures loaded up. It been on over 8 miles of carry so far this last week. I am really liking this as a walking gun.
[Linked Image from bobbutler.zenfolio.com]

Those three in the middle are the CVA, two Power Belts and one Barnes Sabot.

We are in the sign. Wolf 2 looks good in the woods.

Picked this up on the way out mid morning. Last years shed. He's a fighter.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,882
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.