Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Considering one of these to replace the Hogue rubber stock on my Howa 1500 Sporter. Both advertise a "bedding block". Whatever stock I get whether it's one of these or something else will be bedded whether it's got a "bedding block or not. In photos they look similar. At $440 the H&S costs a hundred more which is about as much as I want to spend on this project. Anyone that's used both or either, opinion on whether the H&S worth the difference?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, weight up to 36 qz not a concern.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
HS is a better stock in my opinion.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought one of the Stocky's carbon fiber 2nds for a SA Howa 1500 and like it. I've had H-S stocks and never really cared for them, but everyone is different and a style that works well for me might be a sub-optimal choice for you.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had both. Here is my experience.

I already had a B&C and wanted to try something else just cuz. When I got the HS I felt it might be a step up It was heavier and seemed more solid somehow. When I had called Red Hawk, where I bought it, to ask about the recoil pad it came with I was told it was labeled a Magum Pad. The guy next to him laughed over the phone and said, "that's because it make everything feel like a magnum". They were spot on- it is horrible. Not sure if they still use them and you did have the option for an alternate pad for a price. If getting an HS I would say it is the one thing to verify. Not sure how much stock design itself plays into it but my walnut replacement is lighter yet kicks less.

On the plus side, it required zero in-letting or touching up. I fell out of love with it and sold it.

On my B&C it dropped in but the rear trigger guard bolt was now slightly too short. Easily fixed though. Also needed a little excess trimmed but we are talking two minutes work. It came with a Pachmyer and was a huge improvement in the recoil department over the factory synthetic it replaced. It also solved a barrel channel issue and that rifle became an instant tack driver. The Bell and Carlson isn't as svelt as the factory and felt a little more clubby in the wrist area but I got over that on my first range trip. Would definitely buy another.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've also noticed that H-S seems to transmit recoil rather well, shooting them back to back with other rifles in the same chambering. Perhaps a function of the construction.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unless B&C have changed construction of their stocks in the last 15 years, they do not use a true fabric layup in the stock. The mold is shot with a thin layer of chopped glass over a gel coat and then filled with expanding foam around the aluminum block. The block is about all that gives the stick any real integrity. The "skin" is so thin that it provides little if any practical structure to the stock other than something to hang on to and contain the foam. I have one of their stocks for a Win. Classic Compact and did the fitting myself. I put in several quick release sling studs and in doing so sanded down excess epoxy and easily cut right through the skin and into the foam. As stated above, there is no cloth/fabric layup used, at least in my stock. Anytime you want to go with a real composite stock make sure it is constructed with an actual cloth/fabric layup process. More expensive but much stronger and usually lighter.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been a big fan of my Howa B&C stock. I have had other stocks from them that I wasn't as thrilled with.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both and prefer the B&C. The HS feels more blocky (and heavy) while the B&C is thinner and lighter. The B&C I have is the Mountain Ti version which does not have the full-length aluminum block. Recoil on the HS does feel more pronounced as others have stated. The link Blue_C posted would definitely be worth a look as the Howas are already porky.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost anything is an improvement over a factory Howa Hogue stock. I went with a B&C on my 1500 and a carbon fiber Stockys on the Mini.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the info. Weight's not that much of a factor as this rifle will be used primarily at the range. Also considering a Boyd's laminated stock. The price is right and a lot of people seem to like them. It's my understanding that if they're bedded right accuracy is good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had both. I wouldn't put either on a hunting rifle I planned to carry much. Both are too heavy. They use virtually the same construction techniques. The B&C is every bit as good and a lot less expensive.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You couldn’t give me a HS stock after they chose to use a murdering POS like Horiuchi as the face of their products! I wouldn’t even sell their crap in my shop. 😉

Bell & Carlson is a good stock for the money and in my experience they work as intended. I have a couple rifles that wear B&C stocks and I’ve been very happy with them.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've had both. I currently have an HS on my Vanguard 300WBY. I like the ergos on the stock a lot, better than BC. Unfortunately, it has a large missing chunk behind the front sling swivel stud that seems to keep growing, about the size of a quarter now. Emails to HS not returned, I'll have to call I guess. Pretty sure is is just the recoil that broke it, it broke shortly after mounting it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have owned both. Liked both. Disliked both. Felt some were too thick in the wrist. Felt some were just right. Really came down to specific model and application. Can’t speak to the construction differences but from a use perspective it is Ford vs Chevy in my opinion.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I have owned both. Liked both. Disliked both. Felt some were too thick in the wrist. Felt some were just right. Really came down to specific model and application. Can’t speak to the construction differences but from a use perspective it is Ford vs Chevy in my opinion.
Ditto.

HS too thick and heavy, club like IMO.

B&C forearm too limber. Takes a wide gap to free float so sling pressure won’t cause stock to touch barrel. Missed a deer due to that.

My current fav is the McM Hunters Edge, have replaced both mentioned stocks with those. IME that configuration is about perfect for me, YMMV.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you considered replacing the factory stock with one of the current style of Weatherby V2 Griptonite stocks?

Weatherby sells them for around $140 on their site under "accessories", or you can often find take-offs on eBay for around $100.

I've replace the rubbery Hogue stocks on all of my Howa 1500s with the V2 stocks and NOS walnut stocks from GPC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had both& both are functional.

HS builds some incredibly accurate rifles on their stocks, but has already been pointed out, they are blocker feeling so the ergos, for my taste strongly goes to B&C.

That doesn't mean B&C is great & it's surely not my top choice, but it's better than the HS.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.