Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Any of you folks dealt with this? I haven't got a doctor to look at mine yet, hope to get that scheduled today. Just wondering what others have went through with it.

I had rotator cuff shoulder on both shoulders. I heard if you do what you're told it'll be 12 weeks and you'll be back to normal I was. I also heard if you don't do what the doctor says you might be a year out and still not be right

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by old70
I’ve dealt with in, had a shoulder rebuilt. The pain was no longer manageable, so I had it done. The surgery and recovery sucked, but it helped a lot. Doc said I’d get 20 years out of the fix, and it was in 2003, so it’s getting to be time again. Good luck, I hope it’s something simple.

Old70
Yeah, the fix takes a while to recover from. A PT bud told me it takes up to a year for full recovery.

Lot of people have a spur on the A/C joint that irritates the RC, can cause impingement syndrome. And if you fall off a 4 wheeler, that spur can whack the RC like a guillotine. Don’t ask how I know.

With a significant RC tear, time is important. Waiting too long, like a couple of years, when the surgeon finally gets in there with a scope, everything is scarred down, not much to fix.

So, if ya can’t raise your arm over your head, get an MRI. If it’s torn, get it fixed.

Not hearsay, BTDT.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had a complete tear+ Bicep detached. Had reverse shoulder replacement. Right side. Left is torn too, but not as bad.The rehab was so bad on the right, I won't have the left done anytime soon.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Torn mine a couple of times. Didn't go to the doctor, 9 months recovery. About the same as if I had gone to a doctor.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've not had it. Cardinals hall of fame shortstop Ozzie Smith had successful surgery.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My left shoulder is a rebuilt maze of cadaver pieces and parts, monofilament 100# test line and stainless steel, with a couple of cut off bones. Thank you whom ever you were, as a parts donor. I elected the dumb butt push on through version of the stupid path. That ignore it path does not work, only gets worse, and worse, until one day the rotator tendon itself snaps right in two parts....then you are truly fornicated to the max. You have no shoulder, because the ball snaps out of joint.
So off I went to see the wizard, "Dr Shoulder, he wrote the books, 3, on shoulder surgery, a NASA orthopedic flight surgeon. He said if I followed the rehab to the letter I would have better function on the repaired shoulder than the non repaired shoulder and that is exactly what I did, and the left shoulder does have better function and more strength today than he right shoulder. I am right handed. It was not easy but, it is way better than the years of pain I had endured before the surgury. Took 3 months of intense rehab to get good function back in the left and another couple to get 100+% function.
Just another hill to climb, in a life with a lot of scars from doing interesting things things with a sharp learning curve..

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just for a glimmer of hope - I tore my rotator cuff when the pull start on a snowthrower locked up. I put up with it for several months and finally had an MRI and a cortisone shot. The shot cured it - end of story.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you decline rehab then don't expect to regain function fully nor have a good outcome.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Injured my RC back in late May weight lifting. But in all honesty, always had right shoulder RC issues and some pain.

I couldn’t sleep on my right side for months. Continued lifting weights but on exercises that did little pain to the RC, but kept pressing the envelope.

Went to the doc in early September. Gave me a steroid injection in the shoulder. Had an MRI. Doc said a high grade anterior tear. Essentially a moderate tear. Continuing working out and have about regained all my shoulder strength, but mobility isn’t all there. Started PT. Seems to help. I can now sleep for a while on my right side.

Doc said like 80% of the people my age have RC issues and pain.

He said surgery for me might be avoided, which I am shooting for if it continues improving as he said the surgery is months of rehab and 6 weeks of no driving.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone have the Roster comb injection?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Frozen shoulder, Adhesive Capsulitis, is often what folks have, thinking it is a rotator cuff issue. That sure is painful as hell.

Sam......

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mine was just impinged and PT fixed it
Kid has had both Bankhart repaired.
Said it sucked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You gots to make sure its the rotator first Hoss

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the replies. I don't mind some pain and usually deal with it okay but most things have always gotten better for me. This gets pretty intense by bedtime. It moves up my shoulder and my neck muscles really hurt, as bad as the shoulder.

Hmm, does it hurt when you extend the arm straight out and turn your wrist left or right like a radio volume?

Does it hurt when you reach over behind your head?

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 11/13/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dig your fingers into the area behind the deltoid into the Teres Minor area, then behind the arm where the brachii connect to the tendon, then dig fingers into the area just above the elbow in the olecranon area where muscle and tendons come together. Do you find after exploring 1-3 pinpoint spots of pain?

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Thanks for the replies. I don't mind some pain and usually deal with it okay but most things have always gotten better for me. This gets pretty intense by bedtime. It moves up my shoulder and my neck muscles really hurt, as bad as the shoulder.

Hmm, does it hurt when you extend the arm straight out and turn your wrist left or right like a radio volume?

Does it hurt when you reach over behind your head?

Neither of those hurt me when I just did them. It's tough reaching behind my head due to stiffness but there is no pain in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well thats good because I don’t think there is an official diagnosis for what I was describing. It will feel like a shoulder but ain’t and it doesn’t show up on MRI. It moves up through the neck too making it feel like a neck problem.

Only way to know is to get that MRI done

I recommend getting the neck and shoulder done because nerves are weird things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are prone to having shoulder issues from time to time but have not yet really torn anything up, I highly recommend a regimen of shoulder movements with resistance bands to strengthen all the small stabilizer muscles that keep the shoulder in place when you put a real load on it at other times. It’s about like regularly adjusting and tightening your tie down straps on trailer load, far less likely to tear things up when encountering sudden or harsh stress, or even repetitive movements. That’s what those muscles are there for, to keep things lined up and snug while the shoulder is being used. My shoulder pain is the best it’s been in years, being nearly nonexistent. I also did away with a few exercises that just weren’t worth it anymore, like deep chest dips, behind the neck presses, and wide grip pullups.

Last edited by JPro; 11/13/23.

Now with even more aplomb
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’d been having mild trouble with mine for several years. A little over a year and a half ago it let go. Went to an orthopedic surgeon and had a MRI. Torn. Couldn’t sleep at night, couldn’t lift my arm above my shoulder.

I wasn’t ready for the long recovery so told him I’d probably schedule the the surgery for winter six months later. In the meantime I started doing some physiotherapy stretches and light weights.

By the time the six months had passed was able to sleep through the night, and my range of motion was pretty much restored. Still get twinges, and minor pain occasionally. Physical therapist said it probably wasn’t 100% but, said he wouldn’t rush to surgery unless it worsens.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Surgery 6 months ago for full tear! Pain was BAD after the juicy juice wore of the next day! Slept in recliner and on sofa with a pillow under the arm! Driving with sling 2 weeks after (against dr and wifey wishes)! Intense rehab and pushed myself pretty hard in rehab and on my "off" days! All the PT's said it showed as most don't do any more than required at PT! Back shooting and swinging a golf club after 5 months! Not 100% but pretty close! Get the MRI, get the surgery if necessary and bust your ass in rehab! You'll be happy you did! There's no reason to "deal with it" when there's a fix out there IMO!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 64 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,040
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.