Print Thread
Hop To
G
Geeman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Up to now all of my scopes have been set and forget and duplex. I am however interested in trying something with a reticle that allows holding and dialling. It will be going on a lightly customised (carbon stock, fluted bolt & fluted and trimmed barrel) T3x in 7mm08 that is my main hunting rifle. Will be used for all of my big-game hunting (deer, pigs, chamois), some of which can be steep, as well as for practice and fun.
I have been reading scope reviews and forum posts for the past month or so and my eyes are swimming. I have narrowed my choices down to the SHV 3-10x42 and the S&B Klassik 3-12x42. The SHV is NZ$2,500 and the Klassik is NZ$2,600 without the ballistic turret - not sure how much extra for that. At the moment I cannot justify spending much more and definitely not interested in anything heavier.
From everything I've read both should be reliable, which is very important to me. Leupold VX5's seem to be the most popular scope here in NZ at the moment but I want full confidence in holding zero and dialling, if and when necessary. Weight of each is very similar.
Interested in opinions on either.

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
If you are going to dial get the Nightforce. I have had or have both and S&B Klassic has very little vertical adjustment and will not allow dialing much past 500 yards, well 461 meters for you guys. S&B glasses is much superior to the Nightforce so if you want a set and forget scope or one where you only use the reticle for holds it will serve you well. Dialing get the Nightforce.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use both of the scopes you've mentioned. I like them both, but there are some things that should be considered on each.

3-10x42 SHV:
1. It's a SFP scope, so the subtensions are only accurate at 10x (unless you do math in your head for other powers).
2. The only measured reticle for holds is the MOAR. It's a good reticle and the center only illumination is a better design than the NXS's larger area of illumination.
3. It's a capped elevation turret with no zero stop. If you're handy, you can make a sand to fit stop but it's not an option from the factory.
4. It's a short scope. It can be really nice on a short action but depending on mounts can cause issues with a long action.
5. Good glass.
6. MOA adjustments.

3-12x42 Klassic:
1. It's a FFP so subtensions are accurate at all power settings.
2. The P3 reticle is well designed and works at all powers for hunting. The small illuminated area is well designed.
3. The scope has limited erector travel. This can lead to some issues with usable elevation after zero'd. As an example, I couldn't get a 200 yard zero in 25 MOA rings, switched to 20 MOA rail and had just enough to set a 200 yard zero and have the 4.8 of "up" left. I have a second, on a 0 MOA mount and I can set the 0 at 100 or 200, but I'm only left with 3.0 mil of "up".
4. In harsh angled light it has glare, usable in most cases but irksome.
5. Glass is very good, I think better than the SHV except for the occasional glare issue.
6. I like the simple elevation turret and the capped windage for hunting...as long as it's mounted to be able to use the limited travel.
7. MIL adjustments.

If I were planning to dial elevation and hold windage, I'd go with Klassic.

If I were planning holding elevation and not dialing, I'd go with the SHV w/MOAR reticle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had both. I prefer the S&B as FFP, better glass and reticle (IMHO) and like the NF holds up well and I've experienced no issues with POA/POI and zero retention. Yes, you are limited to 3.2 mils on the turret, but the P3L reticle adds additional mils in the windshield.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Neither are really meant for much dialing. The SB doesn’t have much travel and the SHV has capped turrets. One is also FFP and one is SFP, that’s a major difference and one you might want to figure out first.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Here comes the broken record…..

Get a SWFA 10x and rock the fugg on. 🤩

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Geeman
Up to now all of my scopes have been set and forget and duplex. I am however interested in trying something with a reticle that allows holding and dialling. It will be going on a lightly customised (carbon stock, fluted bolt & fluted and trimmed barrel) T3x in 7mm08 that is my main hunting rifle. Will be used for all of my big-game hunting (deer, pigs, chamois), some of which can be steep, as well as for practice and fun.
I have been reading scope reviews and forum posts for the past month or so and my eyes are swimming. I have narrowed my choices down to the SHV 3-10x42 and the S&B Klassik 3-12x42. The SHV is NZ$2,500 and the Klassik is NZ$2,600 without the ballistic turret - not sure how much extra for that. At the moment I cannot justify spending much more and definitely not interested in anything heavier.
From everything I've read both should be reliable, which is very important to me. Leupold VX5's seem to be the most popular scope here in NZ at the moment but I want full confidence in holding zero and dialling, if and when necessary. Weight of each is very similar.
Interested in opinions on either.

First question is how far do you intend to shoot? What is your maximum distance you will be practicing and shooting at live game? How often will you be practicing, so you become or maintain your proficiency? My eyeballs are "swimming" by reading your OP, but you did not hit on any key points.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Geeman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thank you all for your comments. Yup, an SWFA would be grand but putting aside ordering a scope internationally, every time I check their site the scopes are sold out...

G
Geeman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Potential future maximum distance is not something I want to limit right now. Initially distances will be more modest but may well increase as practice and skill level allows. I plan on practicing often and distance on game will be no more than I am confident in making an ethical shot at the time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So SFP or FFP?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Geeman
Potential future maximum distance is not something I want to limit right now. Initially distances will be more modest but may well increase as practice and skill level allows. I plan on practicing often and distance on game will be no more than I am confident in making an ethical shot at the time.

Sounds very good. What I'm about to suggest may not get the nod by some here, but a simple scope like the Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex will open some eyes. I have a buddy in the local SWAT. He's younger and used to think that the only way to hit something was with a scope you can dial. I've been working with him to open his eyes a little. Here's a rifle he bought a couple weeks ago. We slapped a Burris on there and he was tagging the 10" steel plates at 500 yards consistently, and it's a 223 remington:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's one of his yote rifles. It's at the smiths getting its barrel chopped to 16" as we speak...

Here's his target shot by a similar rifle and scope. Rifle is a new RAR Ranch chambered in 6.5 Grendel:

I don't think there are a lot of guys that practice with this scope enough to know that it works as well as I describe, but it sure does. My girlfriend shooting her new rifle that I worked over for her:

You can't argue with that kind of success. If you would have said full on competition out to 1,000 yards. I would have said Nightforce. There's not question. But for modest hunting distances. And by modest, I mean out to 500 yards, a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle will get the job done.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Geeman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
thank you all for your input. I'm thinking I may wait a few months and see what happens with the new lineup/stock at SWFA. If nothing else will let me try FFP and see if I like it, at modest cost.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.