Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Since there officially aren't any in this country could a guy accidentally kill one if he thought it was a huge coyote? whistle
A coyote hunter shot a wolf near Beaver, Utah back in 2015. He thought he shot a coyote until he got close enough to tell what it was and he self reported it. Last I heard was that he would not be prosecuted.

The she-wolf was collared in Wyoming and had travelled to Arizona before retuning to Utah and her meeting with the coyote shooter. I would imagine that travelling alone like that she had to have survived on easy to kill prey such as sheep and whatever road kill she could find.

Dang. Thanks, H.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She followed the hiway down there, just to find easy meals?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by UltraMAGA
I cant think of a single reason not to shoot a wolf

Ones I've seen out west were too fur. smirk

I did shoot 3 red woofs in E Texas one day about 50 years ago with a little Ruger 44 Mag semiauto deer rifle.

Was going to cut their tails off and take them back to camp for dad and uncles to see but as I was cutting the first ones tail of some piss or something squirted out the biotch and got on my finger. Stunk real bad. Couldn't get soap until I got back to camp a couple miles away. I smelled that schiett all the way to camp and kept smelling it for 2 days after using soap.

I should have killed all 4 but as they came trotting by in the woods as I was coming up out of the small creek bank I wounded the first one and shot the two behind it. The fourth would have been easy going straight away but the first was going around in circles trying to get up and I had a bobcat do that once and get away so I hit it again with my last shot before realizing it was going to surely die anyway.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/13/23.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While living in forest with significant wolf population, the only reason to abstain was created by the US Guv - promise of heavy fine and jail time. It was not a significant deterrent to those who could judge the situation realistically and sensibly.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
While living in forest with significant wolf population, the only reason to abstain was created by the US Guv - promise of heavy fine and jail time. It was not a significant deterrent to those who could judge the situation realistically and sensibly.
I dealt with investigating wildlife crimes for 30 years. If there are no witnesses all you have to do is do not approach the kill and walk away and do not make any statements. Even if your cell phone puts you at the scene that alone will not convict you.

If law enforcement contacts you clearly say I am not going to make a statement. You have that right and if they start threatening and badgering you just tell them you want an attorney and you will have your attorney contact them.

Whatever you do, don't start blabbing or lying.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dealt with investigating wildlife crimes for 30 years. If there are no witnesses all you have to do is do not approach the kill and walk away and do not make any statements. Even if your cell phone puts you at the scene that alone will not convict you.

If law enforcement contacts you clearly say I am not going to make a statement. You have that right and if they start threatening and badgering you just tell them you want an attorney and you will have your attorney contact them.

^^^Good Advise! ^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since there officially aren't any in this country could a guy accidentally kill one if he thought it was a huge coyote? whistle
A coyote hunter shot a wolf near Beaver, Utah back in 2015. He thought he shot a coyote until he got close enough to tell what it was and he self reported it. Last I heard was that he would not be prosecuted.

The she-wolf was collared in Wyoming and had travelled to Arizona before retuning to Utah and her meeting with the coyote shooter. I would imagine that travelling alone like that she had to have survived on easy to kill prey such as sheep and whatever road kill she could find.

Hastings;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day is looking promising down in your part of LA and you all are well.

Thanks for sharing the details on the traveling wolf, it's interesting that when we've chatted with the local bios they've indicated a lot of animals travel much, much further than they'd originally thought.

In the days before the MoE finally decided to open up a wolf season down here, only First Nations hunters or farmers and ranchers were legally allowed to shoot them.

A father and son run taxidermy shop was just down the road from us and we were close friends with them at the time of this story, and it went something like this.

A local FN hunter had popped a wolf on the east side of the Okanagan Valley, roughly 10 miles north of the medicine line and about at the height of land between the Okanagan and West Kettle valleys.

He brought it in to the taxidermy shop as he wanted the rug tanned and when they took a look in the back of his pickup, they saw it had an ear tag as well as a collar.

After a brief discussion, the FN chap decided it'd be educational to see where the wolf had been, so the ear tag and collar were taken down to the MoE in the nearest city to see what they knew about it.

When they checked, the tag was from Alberta where it had been originally captured, then the collar was put on upon it's release in Yellowstone.

We're about 8 hours drive to the Alberta border east of us and it'd be at least 12 hours drive southeast to get to Yellowstone, so that wolf traveled a fair distance and was either lost or just went walkabout.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ODFW has been very dishonest with people regarding the wolf population. Mainly because they know hunters do not want them there. I remember my elk hunting partner calling in to report a pack where we hunt elk and they said we do not have wolves in that area. My elk hunting partner said, "ok I'll consider them coyotes, and shoot them on sight". They said, "we urge you not to do that".. I say fugg them..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Hastings;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day is looking promising down in your part of LA and you all are well.

Thanks for sharing the details on the traveling wolf, it's interesting that when we've chatted with the local bios they've indicated a lot of animals travel much, much further than they'd originally thought.

In the days before the MoE finally decided to open up a wolf season down here, only First Nations hunters or farmers and ranchers were legally allowed to shoot them.

A father and son run taxidermy shop was just down the road from us and we were close friends with them at the time of this story, and it went something like this.

A local FN hunter had popped a wolf on the east side of the Okanagan Valley, roughly 10 miles north of the medicine line and about at the height of land between the Okanagan and West Kettle valleys.

He brought it in to the taxidermy shop as he wanted the rug tanned and when they took a look in the back of his pickup, they saw it had an ear tag as well as a collar.

After a brief discussion, the FN chap decided it'd be educational to see where the wolf had been, so the ear tag and collar were taken down to the MoE in the nearest city to see what they knew about it.

When they checked, the tag was from Alberta where it had been originally captured, then the collar was put on upon it's release in Yellowstone.

We're about 8 hours drive to the Alberta border east of us and it'd be at least 12 hours drive southeast to get to Yellowstone, so that wolf traveled a fair distance and was either lost or just went walkabout.

Dwayne

Great story. Thanks, BC.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Thanks and GOD bless you for that info. You know, some Hawwwks are getting devices implanted now too, from what I'm hearing. shocked

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We've found wolf tracks near the place (next door), the owners of the place we saw them have seen wolves twice that I know of, "The Warden" saw one on our place ~ 7 miles from the tracks, and I saw one a mile farther away later.
Those non-existent, imaginary woofs have a way of getting around!
These sightings were roughly 70 miles north of I40 - where "there ARE NO wolves!" BS!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding the distances a wolf will travel, there have been three wolves killed here in Missouri in more recent history. All three were confirmed by DNA to have wandered down here from the wolf packs in the Upper Midwest. From memory, I think they were supposed to have been from Wisconsin or Minnesota. That is a pretty fair hike from northern Minnesota to central Missouri but it happened not once, but three times! Seems to me if a wolf decides to go somewhere there isn't much that can stop him.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Were you there??

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Hastings;

Dwayne
That is an amazing story, but when you think about it what is time and distance to a lonely wolf.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F

Hastings;

Dwayne

Great story. Thanks, BC.

I remember that one. It spent a few month on the north Kaibab then headed back into Utah and got hammered. Guess it couldn’t cross the canyon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I don't blame the guy for shooting the wolf, but I find his story hard to believe. A man is standing up, waving his arms and yelling and the wolf doesn't run off?

No way, unless the wolf was demented with rabies.

Well, there you go.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I was initially skeptical about how this wolf encounter allegedly played-out. However, I found an article about the behavior of a small pack near Diamond Lake that made the hunter’s claim a hell of a lot more believable.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...rompts-warning-diamond-lake/70282497007/

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would've pocketed my empties and walked away. Fuuckin gov't always more concerned with animals welfare than peoples. Well fuuck them right in the ear hole.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe rabid.

Retired cat herder.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We've found wolf tracks near the place (next door), the owners of the place we saw them have seen wolves twice that I know of, "The Warden" saw one on our place ~ 7 miles from the tracks, and I saw one a mile farther away later.
Those non-existent, imaginary woofs have a way of getting around!
These sightings were roughly 70 miles north of I40 - where "there ARE NO wolves!" BS!
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Were you there??

The episode was pretty well documented, IIRC

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1lessdog, 257Bob, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.