Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Many years ago I shot one with a black powder as he was standing directly under my tree….was about 15 feet up. Shot him like 6” down his neck and he hit the ground.It was dark and when I sent gun down on a rope and when gun touched him he immediately got up and blood was on bushes all under my tree. Ran across a creek and looked him 2 days and never found him. Have killed a couple with neck shots and DRT….but will never shoot one in the neck with him standing under tree I am in.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You fellers need to modernize your shot placement...this old skool schidt 'in the neck' just don't fly anymore. Due to the magic of the internet, I have recently learned that the best way to down a big buck is first, shoot it in the guts at very long range. Then as the buck heads down the hill, a second hunter shoots it in the lower leg at a mere 730 yds. Then after racing after it, the second hunter beats the first hunter on scene and fires the finisher. Then the second hunter allows the first gut shooterette to have a photo op, big smile. Then the first hunter posts the entire schidtshow on social media.
Lots of good 'how to' stuff on the internet. Long range hunting is the wave of the future...millions to be made in the optical industry...millions more to be made with newer, faster, flatter shooting cartridges and heat seeking wonder ammo. Making Instant David Tubb's with a swipe of the ol' Visa card.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ve never tried a neck shot. Seems 95% of hunters that do say they’re always DRT, but the 5% that say a neck shot turned into a cluster have scared me off. I’m a lung puncher. Very few DRT and some tracking jobs longer than I wanted, but it’s just a bigger and easier target for me to feel comfortable with when a big buck is on the line.

I don’t shoot many does, but last time I went out for a doe I decided ahead of time I was going to try a neck shot. When the first big doe came out, my crosshairs naturally went to the lungs and I squeezed it off. Maybe next time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never. Too much meat there, and too much can go wrong.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If the deer is close and the shot is open. I shot one last year in the base of the neck but you must be certain that you will strike the spinal column.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by benchman
Never. Too much meat there . .

^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^
That's my reason, and that alone is enough for
me not to neck shoot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88
It’s my favorite shot on unalarmed, feeding deer.

Exactly how i do it, Lot's of posted land nearby.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
In the past, I’ve killed 20 or so with the neck shot and never lost one but, as I’ve gotten older I’ve tended to stay away from it in favor of the heart/lung shot. There’s more certainty of a lethal hit due to the larger target and less meat loss. I’ll still take a neck shot if that’s what’s offered but I’d rather not. As for head shots, I won’t take them. Early in my hunting career, I killed a doe that someone had shot the lower jaw off. It was an awful sight and the doe would have eventually starved to death in great pain. After seeing that, I won’t try a head shot. It’s a small target and deer move their heads to much for me to risk it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of the relatives was a head shooter for
several years back a long time ago. Had an
old AR as his one and only, and would sit
on a tree limb and pop em in the back of
the head as they strolled underneath his
perch. One shot one kill. Never lost or wounded
any that I know of. Probably could have been
as effective with a 22LR the way his shot
was set up

Last edited by Ranger99; 11/14/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I like when they drop and stay put.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Winnie70
Many years ago I shot one with a black powder as he was standing directly under my tree….was about 15 feet up. Shot him like 6” down his neck and he hit the ground.It was dark and when I sent gun down on a rope and when gun touched him he immediately got up and blood was on bushes all under my tree. Ran across a creek and looked him 2 days and never found him. Have killed a couple with neck shots and DRT….but will never shoot one in the neck with him standing under tree I am in.
That’s an adventure in and of itself!

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Flintlocke, how the hell did we get so far behind the times?

Last edited by OldRooster; 11/14/23.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have shot a few in the neck. Reason is it was the shot I had in the woods. Body was obstructed or they were facing me with their head down. Neck shots work pretty fast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once, poked his wind pipe. I didn’t know thats where I hit him. Next shot rolled him on the run. Shot one in the jaw, face on with a 338wm. Only shot I had as he was looking at me over the sage. Only about a 70 yard shot though. No wasted meat. First deer, in one eye out the other. Not trying to hit the head though, Lol he dropped.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shoot probably a third of my deer in the head or neck. They are always shot from permanent stands with rests.
On a calm or feeding animal it can easily be done. I do not do it on walking or late evening deer. And at less than 100yards.

GreggH

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
Only if it is within about 50 yards, in the open, standing still and not alarmed or as a finisher. It does make for a very tidy carcass with little loss of worthwhile meat.

Me too. However, I either them shoot at the base of the neck, where it hooks onto to shoulder or right behind the ear,

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've no problem with neck shots, when appropriate.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've no problem with neck shots, when appropriate.

ya!

GWB
And with that funky European rifle too. (Geez, I wish I had that one.)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by benchman
Never. Too much meat there, and too much can go wrong.

Yeah, we like neck roasts too !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On undisturbed deer within 100 yards or so it is my preference.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.