Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by anothergun
As I improved the rifle I shoot, and the handloading techniques, maybe they would be a standard. The variables that effect a load have to be taken into consideration, not just a "Load".

Bad advice to give some one a Standard load, before knowing thier equipment.

What the heck does someone's equipment have to do with the fact that a huge number of people have found a given load to work well?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
If rifles chambered for a particular cartridge are all so radically different that what works in one most likely won't work in another, then how did the various "standards" that typically work quite well in most any rifle come to the fore over the years?

Examples:

308 Winchester: Federal Gold Medal Match, or 41.5 gr IMR4895 (or 42 gr. IMR4064 or 39 gr. IMR3031) and a 168 SMK in military brass

270 Winchester: 55 gr. IMR4350 and a 130 gr. bullet

30-06: 52 gr. IMR4064 and a 150 gr. bullet

I could go on.

Add Prime Ammo to that list of examples. It shines in the same light as FGMM as it just WORKS in so many different rifles. Have seen many PRS shooters flat quit reloading their own match ammo and switch completely to Prime just to save the time/effort at the load bench.

Although I won't share loads on the internet I won't gripe at those who do. It's common knowledge to work up to anyone else's load as a basic safety factor of handloading.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wow ! The Feral American, way to go ! Momma would be proud !

However, you can't compare the average newbie loader with thier factory rifles or better quality rifles, that aren't worked out of the factory with PRS.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wasn't talking to you.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I know you weren't but IF you disagreed with me, you wouldn't have said what you said. I'm glad you piped down some.

Last edited by anothergun; 11/14/23.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I know you weren't but IF you disagreed with me, you wouldn't have said what you said. I'm glad you piped down some.

In this thread you're bitching at people for sharing loads. In the other thread you're telling somebody to cowboy a load without data.

Are you fuc-king HIGH??

Pipe down? Now THAT's funny.

You need to go crawl back under your rock and stay there before you hurt somebody with what you "know".

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ooops here comes the boy in a man’s body! Silly boy, mommie hasn’t taught how to play well with others.

One load compared to multiple loads, that meatballs give out on a regular basis. Guess they have nothing better else to do to feel important. Or the silly BS you tell people on a regular basis.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Got dang, these threads are turning into a schidt show.

What has been said earlier about the 7mm-08, is just about any damn bullet made, will work great in the 7mm-08. It's harder to find one that will not work, than to find one that is the "best". Keeping in mind, that term is highly subjective when it comes to the 7mm08 and bullet choice. The one that shoots the best in your rifle, is likely the one that is going to be the best for you. Deer are extremely easy to kill, but if you are talking elk, step up to the 150 Nosler partition, or the 140 TTSX. My rifle loves both. Since this thread was brought back to light, I thumbed through the pages and all had great suggestions, with their bullet choices. Don't want to spend a lot, try an interlock of the weight you desire. Chances are they will shoot well. If not, step up to a ballistic tip or partition or Barnes TTSX. I always load heavy because I love hunting elk. Ymmv, if you only hunt deer.

Last year, I was doing some testing with the 150gr Nosler partition. Just put a new stock on one of my Tikka's. Shot in the prone, with no rear rest and off a bipod.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ran with this load, as it shot sub moa consistently:

Had to confirm the hashmarks on the Burris:
Surprisingly, the old Nosler did well in the wind too. As I held off slightly for the wind, but it hit where I was aiming. I would not kick that out of bed, nor be afraid to use it on an elk out to 400 yards.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Oh and your posts are so inspiring and enriching

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
At one point I reloaded for 5 7mm-08 rifles. Four Tikkas and a Ruger American.

All five shot the same load, 140 Partition, 47.5 gr Big Game, WLRM, R-P brass, 2.806” COAL, MOA or slightly under.

And I get it, all it means is that load shot well in those rifles, no guarantee that the sixth rifle would shoot the load well.

Buuuut…

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is our newest resident answer twat still giving advice about things she has no experience with?

Beretz's pic reminds me of an old country song...

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Is our newest resident answer twat still giving advice about things she has no experience with?

Beretz's pic reminds me of an old country song...

Good tune 358WCF!

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You guys can’t post anything better than your mantality

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh and your posts are so inspiring and enriching

Just what we need, some know it all who has to tell us we need to do it his way or we're wrong and will never reach nirvana. Personally, I like to read about what others here have accomplished. Have I ever gone that route to see if I can achieve similar results? Sometime yes and other times pass. I also think most of us here are adult enough and experienced enough to not take unpublished load data without starting low and working up. Apparently Mr. Anothergun has a much lower opinion of the people on this site. Pity!
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ones who bash the daylights out of ya are the real losers ! No life outside this forum it seems !

Kindergarten show and tell. Guy ask the best bullet and people post their rifles, loads, targets... O look here's my favorite rifle, mommie said I can't bring it to class, but Here's some pictures that will take up the whole page..... the ignore feature to hide all the BS, yeeesss !! At least do a thumb nail, sheeeshhhh.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ones who bash the daylights out of ya are the real losers ! No life outside this forum it seems !

Kindergarten show and tell. Guy ask the best bullet and people post their rifles, loads, targets... O look here's my favorite rifle mommie said I can't bring it to class, but Here's some pictures that will take up the whole page..... thank goodness for the ignore feature to hide all the BS !! Ay least do a thumb nail, sheeeshhhh.
Just shut your [bleep] dickhole already. You are an annoying twerp. I think I hear your mommy calling you for dinner. PB&J with the crust cut off.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Try a thumbnail from now on BSA it would be greatly appreciated and anyone else for that matter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Fotis
Here is another load I worked up in MY Savage 7mm-08.

IMHO it will do for mice to moose.

IMHO it may not and most likely not work in thier rifle. It boggles my mind why people share thier loads to try in someone else's rifle. I know you didn't say try this in your rifle, but it means that.

If rifles chambered for a particular cartridge are all so radically different that what works in one most likely won't work in another, then how did the various "standards" that typically work quite well in most any rifle come to the fore over the years?

Examples:

308 Winchester: Federal Gold Medal Match, or 41.5 gr IMR4895 (or 42 gr. IMR4064 or 39 gr. IMR3031) and a 168 SMK in military brass

270 Winchester: 55 gr. IMR4350 and a 130 gr. bullet

30-06: 52 gr. IMR4064 and a 150 gr. bullet

I could go on.

Thank you sir. That was my point. The combo works well and it is a good starting point.

Obviously start at 43 gr or so........

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the point is that the combo shoots well.......In HIS rifle.

Now you're trying to make it sound like it will for some one else LOL Sending some one to the range with their worked up loads is better and can more likely find a great load than to be disappointed with some one else's load, that most likely won't shoot well AND wasting components. Been there, done that !

There are some loads that are what I call the "standard loads".
They have worked in many may guns regardless of make/model. Some examples are:

7mm rem and 160 gr 66 gr RL 22
30-06 around 56 gr of H or IMR 4350 180 gr
270 Win 130 gr with 60 gr H4831 or rl 22
300 Win Mag 180 gr and 76 gr of H4831 or RL 22
30-06 150 gr around 53 gr IMR 4064

And I have a plethora of more "standard loads". Moreover, these are the loads I work up to with new rifles, and if they do not shoot well then I know I have a super finicky or sick rifle.

In fact if memory serves well John Barness (Mule Deer) had written an article about this many moons ago.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
I think the point is that the combo shoots well.......In HIS rifle.

Now you're trying to make it sound like it will for some one else LOL Sending some one to the range with their worked up loads is better and can more likely find a great load than to be disappointed with some one else's load, that most likely won't shoot well AND wasting components. Been there, done that !

There are some loads that are what I call the "standard loads".
They have worked in many may guns regardless of make/model. Some examples are:

7mm rem and 160 gr 66 gr RL 22
30-06 around 56 gr of H or IMR 4350 180 gr
270 Win 130 gr with 60 gr H4831 or rl 22
300 Win Mag 180 gr and 76 gr of H4831 or RL 22
30-06 150 gr around 53 gr IMR 4064

And I have a plethora of more "standard loads". Moreover, these are the loads I work up to with new rifles, and if they do not shoot well then I know I have a super finicky or sick rifle.

In fact if memory serves well John Barness (Mule Deer) had written an article about this many moons ago.
He’s got a book about loads that tend to work.

https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product/gun-gack-iv-the-little-book-of-rifle-loads-that-work/

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.