-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good friend has several Lone Wolfs, that's all he uses. Recently, one of the "rivets" broke and disabled the stand while he was climbing about 20 feet up, he had to tree hug all the way down. That would have been the end of LW stands for me but he still uses them and he likes go up about 30'.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted all last weekend, 3.5 hours in the rain on Saturday, in my Summit Titan with this belt about 25' up a swaying pine tree. I got this stand a couple years ago, still have my old one but don't remember the name. I'm never comfortable sitting, chronic back pain, but this stand, with added foot rest, is really great. I do spend a good bit of time standing in it too and it has a pretty sold feel Shot a doe Friday standing, off hand, at about 115 yards in it. The climbing belt is a game-changer for me, I used to tie myself in with 2" webbing. The belt if comfortable and I use 1" webbing rope and a locking carabiner to secure to the tree. Once set, I believe if the stand failed or I fell out, I'd be in a position to recover and get down (hopefully I'll never have to find out!). When climbing in the dark, I usually strap-in about half way up for added security and just move the strap as I climb.

Rifle as pictures now disassembled at home, was soaked to the core. Was probable close to 30', photo looks like 10.

https://www.summitstands.com/summit-titan-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oak-camo

https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-momentum-harness-mens

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 11/14/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have 3 Summits. The Viper I think was my first, it is an open front and excellent for bow hunting. Then I have a Titan and a 180 Max. All three have been awesome stands when I need or wanna get up a tree. I carry a Corona limb saw in my pack and I can usually get up a tree that works for my areas I hunt.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have 3 Summits. The Viper I think was my first, it is an open front and excellent for bow hunting

That may have been a "Cobra", basically an open front Viper. I used the older version (with the aluminum flip tabs for the cable) of the Cobra for years.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by brydan
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have 3 Summits. The Viper I think was my first, it is an open front and excellent for bow hunting

That may have been a "Cobra", basically an open front Viper. I used the older version (with the aluminum flip tabs for the cable) of the Cobra for years.

Could be, I got that one after I returned back from Iraq in 2004, so I have gotten my monies worth from that stand. Still in excellent condition.

Semper Fi
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Summit viper for me.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I still use a Warren and Sweatt Rifleman climber. I sit facing the tree and the tree becomes a rifle rest. I have had to replace the wooden seat and footrest once, otherwise still like new.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have some but hunt more out of hang ons. I’ve always been concerned about the noise made climbing alarming deer. Any opinions on that? Do you feel that it takes an hour or so before things settle and you’ve got a chance of seeing one or do you think the noise isn’t really a big deal?

Thanks.

Frank

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fshaw
I have some but hunt more out of hang ons. I’ve always been concerned about the noise made climbing alarming deer. Any opinions on that? Do you feel that it takes an hour or so before things settle and you’ve got a chance of seeing one or do you think the noise isn’t really a big deal?

Thanks.

Frank
I wish I had a dollar for every deer I've seen while climbing/descending. Sometimes they know I'm there and are curious, sometimes they act like they have no idea I'm there.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by fshaw

Thanks.

Frank
I wish I had a dollar for every deer I've seen while climbing/descending. Sometimes they know I'm there and are curious, sometimes they act like they have no idea I'm there.

Yep, going up or coming down either way, my bow is already on the ground and I'm unable to make a shot. I have had deer, turkey, coyotes, coons, and hogs, all walk up on me as I am mid-tree somewhere without a care in the world of getting zapped. It's like they know somehow.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
I'm too old to climb trees anymore. Haven't used one in years and my last one is rotting at the bottom of the last tree I used it in . I use either a popup or a tripod now days. Both work just as good for me . I set the popup where I want to hunt 4 weeks before season so the deer are used to seeing it and hearing it when the wind blows by the time I'm ready to use it . The tripods are up all year and get used for coyotes during the off season. I got one I been using 15 years and it's still as stable as it was the day I put it up. It is harder to get into than it was 15 years ago but that is to be expected. Gonna put up an 8 footer I bought last year at the end of season when the prices were down but I will mostly hunt from the popup.

Not sure if I’m too old to climb trees, but clearly I’m too old to fall out of them. I’m done with hunting aloft, except from elevated terrain locations, which fortunately are common where I hunt. I picked up a tripod stool with a 21” seat height that weighs the same as my safety harness and attaches neatly to my pack. I also have a cushion seat with a supported backrest and backpack straps for those places where I know there are handy logs and rocks to sit on. It can hold some stuff like a quiver, jacket, water jug, etc, and I added a chest strap. So far this season I’ve seen a lot of deer from the ground, so it’s working for me.

Killed two with the .348 out of the popup. Had a herd out front at about 50 yards and knew someone wanting a couple of does so I got him fixed . One standing shot double lung ran 30 yards and and opened the gap between wires on my 5 wire fence before she dropped. Second one waited just a little too long to run but did so I did something I never do and took a running shot. She was bouncing and I caught her at the top of a bounce with a shot just under the spine and right over the lungs. Knocked her down but she got up and ran about ten more steps . Must have been 15 does in that bunch , usually 6-8 to the herd around this area . On to the buck hunt for the remainder of the season. Happy that the .348 got blooded the first time it went out. Shes a 1936 with the bolt peep and I was shooting some 1940's vintage Remington Core Lokt ammo.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very cool Eddie. The old 348 is a beast.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My first climber was a Tree Lounger. Quite comfortable but heavy. Then I sold it and bought an API unit which worked exceptionally well for me but it was sold when we moved away from Pennsylvania. Now I have a Summit which is comparable to the API model. Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’d make you an offer if I were closer 😊

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IME Summit was the best I ever used. Mine got molten in AZ’s Madera Fire (if I have the name right). Sometimes a climber is unbeatable. I feel pretty safe in them with a safety strap all the way. Slow, I know.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Skeen, I’d make an offer if closer 😊

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I still have my original Tree Lounge and a newer Tree Walker ( no longer in business) Both are great stands and very comfortable. For the last several years I’ve hunted either out of ladder stands or lock-ons and use a safety harness.

This year I’m hunting out of a Doghouse ground blind which I set up on a trailer. The trailer gets the blind up off the ground, keeps the cows from trampling it and I can easily move it. I also put an old piece of carpet on the floor and added a shooting rest.

I positioned the trailer/blind on a hill in the pasture overlooking a creek bottom a couple months ago so the deer would get used to seeing it. I killed an 8 point out of it on Saturday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt out of a Summit a bunch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I hunt out of a Summit a bunch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You jumped on that buck, didn't you?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha!! I could have given him the “Tim Wells” spear treatment.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.