Print Thread
Hop To
H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I have a Brazilian contract VZ-24 that was originally chambered in 7x57 but was rebarrelled to 257 Roberts. It doesn't like to feed off the right side of the box magazine and extraction is iffy. I'm pretty sure that the problem is a worn extractor, but I'm not sure. Anyone have a way to test that. And if that is the problem is there any way to adjust it? Or is is strictly a replace the extractor problem?

Why is abbreviate such a long word
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To quick check the extractor fit on a Mauser, pull the bolt, put a dummy round on the bolt face, under the extractor, hold the bolt with dummy round straight up. Then put the bolt body at a 60 degree angle and turn the bolt while maintaining the 60 degree angle. The dummy round should be held onto the bolt face a full turn.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
It won't stay with the bolt like my other Mausers. I replaced the extractor with a new one and it is almost the same thing. So, the new extractor fixed the feeding issue, but now the extraction is basically non existent. I'm starting to wonder if someone maybe opened the bolt face up a little to make it a swede.

Last edited by HadsDad; 11/18/23. Reason: Added information

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like the bolt face may have been modified, perhaps "squared" when it was re-barreled, if a new extractor will not hold a cartridge to the bolt face, someone may have gone past just removing the bluing all round on the face. If it now feeds correctly, but will not extract or hold the cartridge base to the bolt face. The 6.5 Swede bolt face will hold, feed and extract a .473 (308) case, so something else was done.
You can try to modify the extra, extractor, to work properly. Just try to set the claw in towards the firing pin hole a bit further by adjusting the extractor hold off points just a couple of thousands at a time, any mods to the extractor only. Try feeding and extracting with dummy rounds only.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
So, an interesting thing happened. I made up some dummy rounds to check feed and extraction. Well, my dummy rounds were a different make of brass. They fed and extracted just fine. In fact all of my stuff feeds and extracts fine. EXCEPT for my newest batch of brass from Hornady. Which is kinda weird. I'm going to have to mic those when I get a chance to see what the difference is. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HadsDad
So, an interesting thing happened. I made up some dummy rounds to check feed and extraction. Well, my dummy rounds were a different make of brass. They fed and extracted just fine. In fact all of my stuff feeds and extracts fine. EXCEPT for my newest batch of brass from Hornady. Which is kinda weird. I'm going to have to mic those when I get a chance to see what the difference is. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Some brands of brass have deeper extractor groove cuts, this can and will affect both feeding and extraction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by HadsDad

Some brands of brass have deeper extractor groove cuts, this can and will affect both feeding and extraction.

I sense the frustration, Hads. That's just like when I tried to resize some brass with the same 'ole set of RCBS dies I have used for years. I ended up snapping two decapping pins in half and for the life of me I couldn't understand why. Low and behold the brass I was using had berdan primers in them! I was pissed!! DO NOT buy from U.S Reloading supply out of the state of Florida!!

Last edited by Sabretooth; 11/27/23. Reason: added info

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.