Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Any and all advice appreciated on this problem. I had a Marlin 336Y rechambered to .307 Winchester. It shoots very well, but extraction is difficult, to put it mildly. It's so sticky that I have to put the butt on my thigh and give the lever a good yank. Naturally, I'm reluctant to shoot it much because I don't want to break the extractor. I shoot everything from 110gr .30 Carbine bullets over a very modest charge of milsurp BL-C(2) equivalent to 173gr cast FN over IMR4895 to Hornady & Nosler 170gr jacketed over 43.0gr of Varget. Every one of those loads causes hard extraction. The ejected cases have a fine. grainy pattern on the case body. It leads me to guess that the reamer wasn't the sharpest tool in the toolbox, but there may be other things I should be looking at too. If it is a "rough" chamber situation, is there a way to polish the chamber without distorting its shape? Would sizing with a small base .308 die help?

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you pay a 'Smith for the work?

If so, bag up your fired brass and take it back, it's not your problem to diagnose or fix.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well, yes I did. But if I ship it back and it takes as long to get it back as it did when the rechamber was done, I won't be hunting with this rifle next year. So I think I'd like to addtess it myself, if do-able.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assuming the chamber dimensions are correct, it's probable that the chamber could benefit from a bit of polishing. There's a balance between smooth enough and too smooth when it comes to extraction, though. Not smooth enough can give issues. But so will too smooth. In between is what works...which is right around what a worn piece of 320 grit will give. In fact, many 'smiths do that as a final step after chambering.

Tough to diagnose long distance...but some food for thought.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Well, yes I did. But if I ship it back and it takes as long to get it back as it did when the rechamber was done, I won't be hunting with this rifle next year. So I think I'd like to addtess it myself, if do-able.

Roger that. BT/DT myself.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Assuming the chamber dimensions are correct, it's probable that the chamber could benefit from a bit of polishing. There's a balance between smooth enough and too smooth when it comes to extraction, though. Not smooth enough can give issues. But so will too smooth. In between is what works...which is right around what a worn piece of 320 grit will give. In fact, many 'smiths do that as a final step after chambering.

Tough to diagnose long distance...but some food for thought.

Good shootin' -Al

Could he wad up some 0 or 00 steel wool on a chamber fitting cleaning brush and spin it a couple three times in the chamber with some light lube, flush it, dry it, try it, and see if it improves? Maybe take several trials to get it right? Not polish completely but take just enough rough out?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If the chamber is rough enough to cause extraction difficulty, as bad as described, there is some significant roughness, which should be readily apparent on the brass. Bad reamer or inept gunsmith. I would use a ball hone (1/2 inch) and some light oil. Power the hone with an electric drill. Keep it moving back and forth. Don't dwell in one place. Run the hone in the chamber for no more than thirty seconds. Run up until you just touch the shoulder then pull back. The ball hone will do a relatively good job of giving a smooth, straight surface, without removing too much material, but it does require some technique. It's a good idea to polish a hole which doesn't matter first; to break the hone in a bit, and get a feel for how it works.
Another system which works quite well is to use a slotted rod with a piece of abrasive cloth which is a loose fit in the chamber. Run it with a high speed grinder and work it back and forth like the hone.
Anything is best done with the barrel removed, but I'm guessing that is not an option. GD

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Post some pictures of the brass. If you use a sharpie pen to color a couple cases and then fire them, the tight spots should show up as bright spots with the marker rubbed off. Have you measured brass with a micrometer at the base in front of the solid head, at the shoulder, and on the neck before and after firing? That could tell a tale as well. If the chamber is just rough and grabbing all over or has a burr, it should be a quick and easy fix. If it is a dimensional issue like a ring that the case is swaging out into, it will require a little more effort.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For doing a chamber touch up, I use a piece of 12 inch 5/16" wooden dowel and split one end to hold a piece of crocus cloth or wet/dry 320. Add a bit of light oil and proceed as GD explained. For barrels still on the gun, a longer piece of dowel works great. Clean the beejesus out of the chamber/barrel afterwards.

A good test is to lightly oil the case of a loaded round with a couple drops of Kroil, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. and fire it. If it extracts easier, that's a good clue that a light touch up of the chamber will help.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
How do they chamber, difficult or easily?

Last edited by anothergun; 11/16/23.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be interested to know who did the work. I'll be sending a 336 out for rebore and new chamber after the first of the year. I've never heard of the outfit I'm using leaving something like a rough chamber though.

I'd understand if you'd not want to out anybody publicly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I may have missed it, but have you tried factory ammo?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just now catching up with this thread and my PMs. Excellent suggestions all...just as I had hoped The 'Fire would offer up. Every suggested test will be done and results posted. All in good time. Hunt first; fix this puppy after late muzzleloader season ends in mid-December. Thanks to you all!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Feral_American
I'd be interested to know who did the work. I'll be sending a 336 out for rebore and new chamber after the first of the year. I've never heard of the outfit I'm using leaving something like a rough chamber though.

I’d rather not say who it was, but I will say who it was NOT. It was not JES, who did excellent work on two rebores for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Originally Posted by Feral_American

I’d rather not say who it was, but I will say who it was NOT. It was not JES, who did excellent work on two rebores for me.

Roger that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Once again, maybe I missed it, but does it do the same thing with factory ammo?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
At $3 to $4 a round, I have never fed it factory ammo. I have always handloaded W-W brass...often new.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the techniques described by Al and greydog, mild abrasive and electric drill, with success.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mrchong, sending you a PM....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 17 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,679
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.