Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Several whitetail deer with a bow almost directly under my tree stand. Shot a large 8-point buck on a push drive about 38 years ago that nearly ran over me. Shot him twice and the second shot that dropped him was less than 5 yards.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
5 yards on a whitetail buck. But a couple times I have had deer close enough to actually touch but didn't take a shot.

It is generally thick woods where we hunt. My longest shot was 70 yards down a hollow that was narrow but fairly open. This is a long shot in these woods.

In the Allegheny National Forest there is more old woods and shots can be longer but still a lot of bush in between.

That doesn't mean you can't set yourself up for a long shot on a power line, cut field, etc. But I prefer the bush.

MAGA!

Last edited by TreeMutt; 11/15/23.

"an armed society is a polite society"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Forkhorn mule deer maybe 15 feet from the Ponderosa pine 🌲 I was in. Standing on limbs as big as my body. Absolutely incredible Utah hunt for a 21 yo flatlander from Alabama. Groves Flame Hunter 50# Easton 2018 and Bear Razorhead. X through the heart.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Probably 20 yds , a good sized buck in northern MN, just south of International Falls.

It was 20 below that morning, but temp shot up in short order around noon, almost 50 degrees to about 30 degrees.

Sky was clear and the winds kicked up to like 60 mph. Was just standing there and this buck walked by, in a confused state
with all the wind. Never even looked at me.... I was headed back to our rally point with the family party.

30/06... bang/flop....probably was using a 220 grain RN. Used a lot of those in that time period... Early 1980s.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
15 feet straight down several times. It's easier if they're more than 20 feet away from my tree though. Better shot angle and a bigger target.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Black bear in Manitoba, 6 paces w 45-70 govt.

Last edited by Txtrpr; 11/15/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
40ft, whitetail doe I missed.

Kickapoo Caverns SP, drawn hunt. I had been standing quietly for a few hours on the other side of a big low juniper tree off of a dirt road downwind of a game trail about 25 yards to my left on my side of the road, Marlin 336 at port arms.

The doe walked out started moseying in my direction. Ever so slowly so she didn’t catch the motion I brung the rifle up. My mistake was, when I had her lined up on a clear line through the branches, I leaned forward to clear the branches and shot in one quick motion.

A kazillion years of deer evolution in reacting to sudden ambush; she was faster than I was.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
las, you may be the ultimate winner on this topic! đź‘Ť memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I shot a doe with my bow, straight down below my treestand.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by memtb
las, you may be the ultimate winner on this topic! đź‘Ť memtb

For "not-too-bright" anyway.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I shot this Blacktail in '99 at about 6 yards in the creek bed behind where the pic was taken. The part that sucked was that my scope was turned up to 9X from when I first spotted him.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Years later I canoed a sow coming up the trail I was on while dove hunting. Was kind of surprised on the amount of damage from 1 1/8 ounces of 7 1/2s on her skull.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I killed 3 bull elk with my rifle that were all 5-10 yards! But I have never got one with my bow. YET!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Two at less than six feet. The first I was walking up a trail with a couple of kids who wanted to tag along. I literally stepped on the little deer and shot from the hip' The muzzle couldn't have been more than two or three feet from the deer when I shot.

Deer number two was shot in the same canyon a couple of years later. My buddy was workin the top of the ridge and kicked up a little spike that ran down toward me. Another shot literally from the hip. I had my buddy come down and told him he could have this ne if he wanted which he did. it was one of the hunts that was like a first for him out west as he was from NYC. He must have POed someone back there at the bank he worked for as they'd transferred him to Winnemucca Nevada. It was fun teaching him that there really were deer that lived out in the desert. He never quite got ovr the fact that they did.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably a bull elk at 10 yards with my whitetail II compound bow.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buck, chasing a doe @ less than 10 paces.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Middlebranch
I shot a doe with my bow, straight down below my treestand.

That's about the toughest shot with a bow. Can't tell you how many times I've missed trying to do that.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About ten yards on a black bear. I was hunting, in the great state of Alaska.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
15 yards. Cape Buffalo charging me head on. A 300 grain soft in the face turned the charge.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A caribou at 8 feet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Less than 3 feet on a boar pig, through the forehead with a .30/06. I had wounded him (shot him in the arse as he was galloping away) and he had gone to ground in some low cover. I circled round to find him, crossing a small creek. As I moved in he leaped up and charged from only a few yards away. I didn't have time to aim, just shot him from the hip and jumped back as he crashed into the ground where I'd been standing. He certainly got my attention.

I shot another in similar circumstances in a lignum swamp one time. Lignum higher than my head, and so thick you could only see a few yards. The pigs were moving through "tunnels" through the stuff. It was very exciting, because you could hear them but could only see them at the last moment. This big pig had taken a load of SG (00) buckshot, but it had only served to rile him up. I could hear him grunting and squealing, clacking his tusks and crashing around just a few yards away, but I couldn't see him. Suddenly he charged in and I gave him another lot of SGs in the face from a couple of yards off the muzzle, which took the fight right out of him.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,520
Posts18,491,029
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.