Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RUM7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I saw a WPG (Supposedly) this weekend. Younger pup that was about 6 months old. Talking with his owner, I was told he was a WPG with papers and a solid lineage. He sure looked like a GSP to me. Maybe showing a smidge longer hair than normal. Facial furnishings were nothing more than a few whiskers. The owner said that both parents were WPG with coats that met the breed standard. I know this happens with PP and I've seen some GWP's with really short hair but I've never seen this with a Griffon. Anyone ran across this before? Does the dog have a chance at growing into his breed standard? I don't proclaim to know it all when it comes to that breed so I was curious about what some of you more experienced guys have seen.

Thanks

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of your German breeds will revert back to the original hair coat. It must be a funny gene or something. At least that's what I heard somewhere.

It doesn't seem to affect the prey drive or natural hunting drive.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This guy was a purebred Drathaar that was supposed to have longer hair like a usual Wirehair. Registered with NAVHD and all that. Didn't make him any less of a hunting dog.
(Not the Airedale)

Last edited by Kenlguy; 11/14/23.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve seen Griffs with pretty tight shorter coats, but nothing like you can see with GWP. GWP’s can sometimes look very much like a shorthair.

Honestly a griff like that would be perfect for me. Only bitch I have about my griff is the coat can be a PITA.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
RUM7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’ve seen Griffs with pretty tight shorter coats, but nothing like you can see with GWP. GWP’s can sometimes look very much like a shorthair.

Honestly a griff like that would be perfect for me. Only bitch I have about my griff is the coat can be a PITA.
I can see where a short coat would be easier to deal with. I've seen GWPs and Pudelpointers that were slick coated. Never seen a WPG with an entirely slick coat. Til now.... of course he was just a pup so maybe some furnishings will show up.
Owner seemed to love him regardless.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Some of your German breeds will revert back to the original hair coat. It must be a funny gene or something. At least that's what I heard somewhere.

It doesn't seem to affect the prey drive or natural hunting drive.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This guy was a purebred Drathaar that was supposed to have longer hair like a usual Wirehair. Registered with NAVHD and all that. Didn't make him any less of a hunting dog.
(Not the Airedale)

I'm partial to the Airedale. I have one sleeping on my bed as we speak.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Griff's sire was tight coated and the bitch wooly. The litter was all over the map. My Griff is a little Wooly but his head furnishings are thin. No matter after 2 months of daily hunting his coat is brush stripped pretty good. Got all winter to grow back!

Had three Dales before the Griff and love them too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One time a Griff came into the grooming shop just covered in cockleburs. Nose to tail. They had been hunting quail down in the river bottom. .The owner wanted them all cut out so the groomer put on a leather glove , grabbed her clippers and went to town on that poor dog.
Dog looked like schit by the time she was through but the owner was happy that he didn't have to pull them all himself

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
F
F
Not sure it's related, but years ago there was a Griffon breeder that had an entire litter of smooth coated dogs. He swore his GSP didn't father the litter, but everyone who saw them thought otherwise. I've seen hundreds of Griffons. None had smooth coats.

Political comments in signatures often reflect poorly on the poster.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never liked the smooth coat on a GWP. Never heard of a WPG having anything but a very wooly coat.

There is a price to be paid for that long hair, when there is a wet year in S. Az. The Mentzelia Desertorum aka sticky grass can be bad. It takes some effort to remove. Friend saw this pic and said it looks like the dogs are wearing ghillie suits.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I never liked the smooth coat on a GWP. Never heard of a WPG having anything but a very wooly coat.

There is a price to be paid for that long hair, when there is a wet year in S. Az. The Mentzelia Desertorum aka sticky grass can be bad. It takes some effort to remove. Friend saw this pic and said it looks like the dogs are wearing ghillie suits.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I know the struggle! Although the Airedale has never been that bad, she definitely would be in the same boat as yours are!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.