Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Im conflicted. Went on a stone sheep hunt this year and was lucky enough to take a legal, 8 year old ram. As rams go, it was not a "big ram" as far the horns.....not all, but most pics of rams Ive seen taken this year might be a little thicker, a little longer, or have a deeper curl. And many of these guys it was their 2nd or 3rd hunt, so they had passed up alot of rams and were waiting for a hammer. But I am proud of him. We had a very memorable, grind of a hunt, and I'll never be able to go on another stone sheep hunt again. I do hope to go on a bighorn, desert, and dall hunt in the future, so will hopefully have other rams to mount as well, but those are certainly not guaranteed.

So I was thinking of getting replica horns done for the mount, and then having the original skull/horns done as a euro.

The negatives are: more cost, significantly longer wait from the taxidermist, will take up more space in the house.

Positives are: It would just be awesome to be able to handle the horns whenever I want, look at the teeth, and let friends and family hold it.

I dont hunt to impress others, but I try to be self-aware, and I do like to get input from others at times. If you were in my shoes, and money were not an issue, what would you do? Get replica made or just get it mounted?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd just get it mounted. But, seems like you are leaning towards a replica and I would not scoff at the idea. I'd just want to make doubly sure that the replica guy was G O O D!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
I'd just get it mounted. But, seems like you are leaning towards a replica and I would not scoff at the idea. I'd just want to make doubly sure that the replica guy was G O O D!

I'll second all of the above. I'd have no issue in justifying the expense (to myself) of the replica as well as the mount had I shot a stone ram.
Congrats!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in a little different situation, but looking at both options. I shot a pretty nice Dall this summer but the wife isn't all in on a shoulder mount (yet :D). So I'm definitely going with a Euro- hoping to come up with something a little different, adding some habitat or the like. The cape is tanned and ready to go if I eventually go to a shoulder mount and then I would simply (but expensively) get the euro skull/horns replicated for the shoulder mount.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I did a shoulder mount on a pedestal with a base cabinet for storage. I'm still enjoying it 20 years later.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ nice smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I love euro ram mounts, probably more than shoulder mounts. I have all the shoulder mounts I probably need and don't regret getting them when I did. Euros are cool though, for all the reasons you listed. I'd pony up the money for both if you can swing it. And for sure put the replica horns in the shoulder mount.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I would do the replica. A Euro sheep is so nice to have.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks gents. I’m definitely going to do the replica and have both my euro and a shoulder mount. Wyoming Backcountry & Decor will do it. Seems like they are the gold standard. It was a once in a lifetime hunt for me so I’d be dumb to not do both over a few extra months wait

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think Wyoming backcountry and decor replicas look like crap. His coloring is always off and the new growth line he puts on the base of the horn is always too thick. I think people use him because they don’t know any better and he’s been doing it a long time. Also he’s always at all the sheep events. And if you get your replica and are not happy with it the customer service adventure will rival your stone sheep hunt.

I would get a quote from this guy. Besides antlers by Klaus he’s the only guy who can make a replica look as close to the original as possible:

https://www.trappermanantlers.com/

Last edited by SeldomSeenSmith; 12/02/23.
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSmith
I think Wyoming backcountry and decor replicas look like crap. His coloring is always off and the new growth line he puts on the base of the horn is always too thick. I think people use him because they don’t know any better and he’s been doing it a long time. Also he’s always at all the sheep events. And if you get your replica and are not happy with it the customer service adventure will rival your stone sheep hunt.

I would get a quote from this guy. Besides antlers by Klaus he’s the only guy who can make a replica look as close to the original as possible:

https://www.trappermanantlers.com/

Thank you for this.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
I did a shoulder mount on a pedestal with a base cabinet for storage. I'm still enjoying it 20 years later.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Heck of a ram, congratulations!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.