Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Link has photos of the Jayhawk on it's roof. I know it was pretty stormy and they were called out for a nighttime search & rescue mission. Anyone know what happened?

https://localfirstmediagroup.com/co...copter-crash-two-released-from-hospital/

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks like a wrecked copter allright and only a few feet from a water landing. Could have been lots worse...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's amazing there are any survivors. I've provided emergency care and evacuation after a few crashes. Not many survived.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It makes my heart heavy thinking about this. The Coast Guard will forever course through my veins and I will always consider its members family. I am so thankful this wasn't worse.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So glad they are all ok. Provide a great service.

Amazing they escaped that with relatively minor injuries from the sounds of it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Thankfully ALL aboard survived. Cheers to those brave souls who fly & ride in them in the service of others.

[Linked Image from localfirstmediagroup.com]

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank God they’re all alive!

I have the ultimate RESPECT for the Coast Guard Search and Rescue! I’ve been onboard boats and ships all over the world but I never feel “safe” unless I know that it’s the United States Coast Guard that’s responsible for operations in my area.

God bless and keep them safe!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The helo squadron on the Midway used to make a logistics run from Atsugi where the airwing was based, to the boat at Yokosuka every morning and afternoon when the boat was in port. It turned an hour and fifteen minute commute into a brief sightseeing trip.

As we walked through the hangar toward the flight line, Vern, one of their Lieutenant aviators, would stick his head out the maintenance door and yell, “HOPE YOU DON’T CRASH!” 😳

One morning there were several passengers that hadn’t taken the helo before and when Vern yelled out one of them asked, “why did he have to say THAT?”

I looked at them and asked, “well, what would you want him to say!” 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good article in the kodiak paper. They were dropping pumps to vessel and downdraft put them in trees. Vessel receiving assistance watched it happen. The fishermen ended up jumping in the skiff with blankets etc to assist the aircrew until the troopers arrived

Now the downdraft was speculation by the fishermen. The pilots might have lost track of where they were and flew into the trees. As you can see, the helo didn’t fall very far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think them guys do a lot of good things that dose not get the appreciation of a lot people that don't under stand that they put their life on the line to do their job

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This was a very close call. They were conducting a hoist of a sick cruise ship passenger. At about the 35 second mark you can see the sky darken over them. Then the helo starts bouncing around a bit. They realize that that are getting caught in a down draft and get away from the ship. As soon as they get clear of the ship, the down draft nearly shoves them into the Gulf.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah those downdrafts and microbursts are a real thing. Wish I could find the interview from the fisherman on the boat to post.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockdoc

2 of the 4 had some pretty significant injuries. Luckily they were flown to Harborview in Seattle so they will get the best care possible.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

2 of the 4 had some pretty significant injuries. Luckily they were flown to Harborview in Seattle so they will get the best care possible.

They will definitely receive the finest care at Harborview! Do you know what their conditions are listed at?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This was a very close call. They were conducting a hoist of a sick cruise ship passenger. At about the 35 second mark you can see the sky darken over them. Then the helo starts bouncing around a bit. They realize that that are getting caught in a down draft and get away from the ship. As soon as they get clear of the ship, the down draft nearly shoves them into the Gulf.

Looks pretty controlled as they descended... could it have been intentional? looking for ground effect?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 44mc
I think them guys do a lot of good things that dose not get the appreciation of a lot people that don't under stand that they put their life on the line to do their job
I have seen the appreciation loud and clear in Kodiak restaurants and bars, even on the streets and docks, more than a few times.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hope they recover quickly and completely.

I too have upmost respect for the fabulous service they provide.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope they recover quickly and completely.

I too have upmost respect for the fabulous service they provide.

The USCG Medical Clinic is named after a friend, Doc Rockmore. He made the decision for a chopper medivac from Ahkiok in horrible weather. Flying down the East side of Kodiak they were flying sideways and correcting to check location as they went. Somehow they met the downweather side of Ugak Island and all perished.

Every time I see you post it brings me back to Doc Rock...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am sorry for the loss of your friend Sitka. They gave their all to help others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka I have too, been living on the coast my hole life . people that live inland don't care about the fishing & shrimp boats that don't make it back to port

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.