-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Personally, I think EVERY rifle should have a return policy - that is - if they don't already guarantee the accuracy of what they sell. If, say, after a week or so, you can't get a rifle to shoot like most bargain priced Savages or Tikkas do - you should be able to return it for a full refund."

I agree with that statement right there BC. I once bought a model 70 Winchester 30-06 and put about six boxes of shells through it and couldn't even get to under six inch groups at 100yrds. Now I've had model 70s before and since that would put bullets in the same hole and like that model. That one gun was just a lemon. I couldn't get a refund or a trade in a few weeks later. I kind of feel bad about trading to a guy for a dirt bike, except he traded it for a fastback Mustang that needed restored when he couldn't get a decent group out of it either. He wouldn't trade me the bike for the 'Stang either frown . That gun is still out there somewhere and I doubt that anyone has ever gotten it sighted in.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As far as the Remington issue with the "non-magnum" Titanium rifles. Well... It was a bit shameful that Remington didn't address the problem better but at least they DID discontinue the thin whippy barreled Ti rifles and went to the "magnum contour" on ALL of them and provided fluting to somewhat mitigate the increased weight in the Alaskan Ti models.

$bob$

You are joking, correct? Haven't seen a Ti not shoot and can't see how adding close to a pound and $500 to the Ti made it a better rifle. I'm sure the Ti doesn't interest those that sit on their butts all day in a shooting blind, stand, what have you.

Haven't had a Ruger that wouldn't shoot either, but I've always been lucky that way.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SeaRunRainbow
As far as the Remington issue with the "non-magnum" Titanium rifles. Well... It was a bit shameful that Remington didn't address the problem better but at least they DID discontinue the thin whippy barreled Ti rifles and went to the "magnum contour" on ALL of them and provided fluting to somewhat mitigate the increased weight in the Alaskan Ti models.

$bob$

You are joking, correct? Haven't seen a Ti not shoot and can't see how adding close to a pound and $500 to the Ti made it a better rifle. I'm sure the Ti doesn't interest those that sit on their butts all day in a shooting blind, stand, what have you.

Haven't had a Ruger that wouldn't shoot either, but I've always been lucky that way.

I seem to remember a benchrest smith checked Brian's Ti and it had a bulge in the barrel, even when he reported this to Remington they wouldn't do anything. I am in the camp that these companies should be able to make a product that is good but not necessarily great out of the box. Some companies do and other don't. I don't feel I should have to bed and get a trigger job on a new gun just to make it shoot better than 1.5 inch groups so I don't. Most of my rifles are Sako's which require none of the above.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't believe I should be pro-active to make my life better. I should have everything given to me for a happy life, but it just ain't so and I don't mind a little work to make things Merry...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don;t need everything perfect either, but would you buy a new truck and book the front end alignment at the time of delivery or would you make them fix it beforehand?

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When I start paying $40K for a rifle, I'll get back to you.....

I'd rather a rifle not be bedded so I can do it the way I like. Unfortunately we don't come with "Life can cause death" stamped on our ass, no guarantees...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My experience with rugers has been mostly positive. The only real bad shooter I ever bought was a tang safty in .308 I bought a couple years ago cause it was cheap and in like new condidion.
It was awfull. I traded it strait across for a marlin 45/70 that shot rings around it.
But I had a tang safty 300 win that shot great. I curantly have a 77MK2 RL in the Roberts that is just excelent. I had to free float it to get it there but thats no trick.
I also have a #1A 7X57 that is remarkable.
I like rugers just fine.
If I spent 1300.00 on a rifle and it did not shoot, I dead seriously would either get it fixed a refund quite possibly wind up in jail.
That is too much money.
It seems to me it might be a good Idea to talk to a customer service rep before you buy a factory rifle. Get them to tell you what to expect from the product. and what to expect if it fails you. Get a name and employee number.
I,ll bet they will work harder for the money still in your pocket than them money you already gave them.
...tj3006

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCBrian
My Remington Ti is my most expensive rifle. It had, without a doubt, the worst accuracy (out of the box) of any rifle I've ever bought.

Was this ever remedied? How so?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If a company advertised a certain accuracy guaranty can you imagine how many people that dont shoot that good,keep blaming the rifle.How many that would be returned?Some guys wont shoot a group under 2 inches their whole life.There are a lot of people who shoot just once a year.......right before deer season.See where Im going?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am I alone in feeling that sub 2moa would be just fine for big game hunting? I mean my 300weatherby vanguard is only slightly better than that, and it has been a hell of a productive hunting tool.

I get around 1 moa from my Ruger M77 in 220 Swift and it hits beldings ground squirrels out past 300 yards all the time, and I am able to take them offhand out to 100 often enough that I try it in front of witnesses.

My Ruger 7X57 (the first one) shoots under a half inch using a handload I dont like because of the bullets failure to provide the terminal performance I want. It shoots Bellier and Selliot ammo into over an inch, but the game is taken much more decisively.

So what does Nth degree accurracy really bring to the table? I think it is a placebo.

I would buy the Ruger if the factory only promised 2.5 inch MOA. After all it is a moose, elk, bear kind of gun, you know big close targets, not a varmit rig.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Let me tell you my secret,I pray about it and ask the Good Lord to help me pick a good shooter. The priniciple is found in the New Testament where James in his brief epistle tells people to pray for wisdom in the choices they make. It seems to work in other area of life besides rifles too.

I applaud your boldness in sharing this inspiration.

Originally Posted by LDHunter
I think Ruger needs to get more serious about accuracy in their rifles.

Ruger has recently taken a very important step toward improving the accuracy of their rifles. Ruger now makes their own rifle barrels on new cold hammer-forging equipment. I have found from experience that the new Ruger barrels shoot very well indeed for production-grade sporters. It is still true that every barrel is slightly different, and every barrel has it's limitations. But I have had no trouble at all working through those limitations and finding accurate combinations with several new Rugers, and none have flunked-out altogether. If a new Ruger bolt-action rifle exhibits an accuracy "problem", almost invariably it involves the forend/barrel interface - which, incidentally, is about the easiest problem to fix if done correctly. Ruger #1s are a different breed of cat altogether. I have had success improving the accuracy of various #1s, but on other occasions I have been reduced to uttering 4-letter expletives. Happily, my latest #1, an A in 7x57, has proven wonderfully accurate right out of the box, for which I am eternally grateful (and relieved).

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Brian
I agree with you on the accuracy if its representative, and I"ll never buy another new Ruger ever again, but due to the anti gun leaning issues the company founder had....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
I"ll never buy another new Ruger ever again, but due to the anti gun leaning issues the company founder had....

Jeff
Oh, Jesus H. CHrist. mad

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SeaRunRainbow

I don't mind a little work to make things Merry...

Actually, in spite of the written word here & elsewhere, I think most factory rifles, including Remingtons, need a bit of work to shoot consistently
under 1"-1 1/2". Some never will.........many factory barrels have been straightened and whenever that occurs, ultra-fine accuracy from a gun with such a barrel is just happenstance and your good luck if you get such a rifle.

A little action bedding work, straighten the barrel channel side contact, fix the barrel bedding point, float the barrel or whatever else floats your boat is almost always in order & beneficial.

I also don't think that the vast majority of everyday "shooters" could should an inch consistently regardless of the capabilities of the gun.

MM

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My "Benchrest Buddy" - Al Forsland, tore the rifle apart and spent the better part of a couple of days blueprinting the action, mating the lugs, recrowning the barrel, bedding the action and working on the horrible trigger - and through all this, he ended up giving me back a rifle that now shoots 3/4 inch groups.

If I had to pay him the going rate - for his hours of work on my behalf, the cost of the rifle would have almost doubled. Fortunately for me, our friendship enabled me to save a considerable amount of money.

But, even as he handed me the rifle back he said "It's still a horrible fouler due to that internal barrel swell an inch or so in front of the chamber and because of the general roughness of the bore." The internal swell is so great that when pushing a bore brush or swab though it - the rod will jump (with no resistance) past the swell until the bore narrows down again.

He said, if it were him - he send it away and get a "real barrel" from a custom quality barrel maker put on it. "Then you'd have a rifle!" he said.

So far, I haven't done that, I love so much about the rifle now - that I put up with its faults - and just clean it thoroughly every 5 to 10 rounds or so.

But, someday, it will get a REAL barrel.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bummer to have to go to that much trouble on a rifle that wasn't cheeep in the first place. Not like it was a Stevens 200. mad

What did Remington say about the "swell"?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This was typical of groups with the 270gr factory load in my 375 Ruger Alaskan:

[Linked Image]

And a remarkably easy load development got me groups like this with 260gr Accubonds:

[Linked Image]

Maybe the writer was using iron sights? laugh

In terms of acceptable accuracy- I would be happier with a very reliable rifle like a Ruger that shot consistent 2" groups at 100 rather than a tackdriver that was not as reliable.

Fortunatley most rifles these days seem to shoot around MOA with out to much trouble, so we can have reliable and accurate...

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
They said if I were an American, I could send it back at my own expense and they'd "look at it" - but since I was a Canadian - and they don't allow arms back into the USA, once they have been shipped out, that I'd "have to live with it".

Thus began my solemn vow to never have anything to do with Remington unless they change their policies to either give Canadians a place to return such problems, to include targets showing how the rifle shoots out of the factory, to guarantee accuracy of what they sell, or have their Canadian representatives allow for the return of rifles the BUYER considers unsatisactory.

As Remington has not moved towards doing any of those suggestions - as is, I've bought my last Remington.

Even Tikka, one of the cheaper rifles for sale in Canada, GUARANTEES 3 shots into an inch at 100 metres.

With differences in corporate policy like that - why anyone would buy a Remington in Canada - is beyond me.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In this day in age with the internet, I can't believe that companies allow bad customer service to be the standard they adhere to.

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Great groups, too bad everyone can't expect such groups from their own rifles in today's mass marketed "buyer-beware" world.

The only way to be sure of such accuracy today, is to buy rifles like Weatherby's MOA Vanguard, or better yet a Tikka or a Sako - which GUARANTEE that level of accuracy in all of their own rifles.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,829 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,637
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.