Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."

What does still make me cringe though are cutesy names we give to cartridges, ie: .257 "Bob", .300 "Bee", etc. In the end it's of little consequence, but my strange self takes a bit of umbrage at the blatant disrespect of a man's name (the inventor) simply because of a need to be cute (or fingers too tired to type the whole name). See, I said it was of little consequence! grin

Oh yeah, "boolit" too. That's just a case of transcribing local accents/vernaculars into written English - rather a lot like what Ebonics does....

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/17/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
how late friend of mine was always bothered by the word node.. it just drove me nuts and that's funny it's called get out to me hell don't worry about it..

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
What kind of scope do you run?

No, it's "what glass ya runnin' ?"

Sheesh, get it right.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by barm
I was thinking recently how some people and manufacturers use words which are incorrect. For example, "My favorite caliber is the 30-06." When they should have said, "My favorite chambering and cartridge is the 30-06." Or they refer to a cartridge as a bullet, although a bullet is part of the cartridge it is not the whole. What are some examples that you hear which make you cringe a little?

I get a laugh when folks get so riled up over semantics.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It seems many folks want to rgue clip vs magazine, point blank, caliber vs. chambering and cartridge, bullet vs. cartridge, and i get that. But, there's one "wrong" series of descriptors that I've never seen argued - that of metric equivalents. We all "know" 7.62mm is .308", but that's not correct - it's .300".
6mm is not .243" (or .244") - it's actually .236".
7mm is not .284" - it's actually .276".
8mm is not .323" (or .318", etc.) - it's actually .315", and so on.

Go ahead - look them up while I get some popcorn...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bpas105
It seems many folks want to rgue clip vs magazine, point blank, caliber vs. chambering and cartridge, bullet vs. cartridge, and i get that. But, there's one "wrong" series of descriptors that I've never seen argued - that of metric equivalents. We all "know" 7.62mm is .308", but that's not correct - it's .300".

Missed one 6.5mm = .257

Swifty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Missed one 6.5mm = .257
No I didn't - it was covered under "and so on".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Natural point of aim. Just saw it being misused in an optics forum thread yesterday...

Last edited by MikeS; 11/17/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Huh? Since when has that been news? the fact that 6mm = 0.236" was well known in the early 1890s, for example.

[Linked Image from thefirearmblog.com]

There's nothing wrong about it either, it is just based on a naming convention of using the bore (land) diameter rather than groove or bullet diameter.

Examples abound of the same approach being taken with calibres denominated in inches. The .30 US Gov't, .300 Savage and .30-30 all use a .308" diameter bullet, for example.

Where it gets more confusing is where a cartridge is named for neither bore diameter, groove diameter nor bullet diameter. How is it for example that .218 Bee, .219 Zipper and .225 Winchester all use the same diameter bullet?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"410 Gauge", rather than ".410 Bore" shotguns and shells.

One of the gun-writers back in the late '70's or '80's complained about other writers using unnecessarily flowery verbiage such as "piquant bruin" rather than "bear" or "ruddy ungulate" rather than "elk", and so on.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B3

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have enjoyed reading all of the responses, even those who say they are amused by it. One thing is for sure, if you commented on this thread you were triggered. None of us are perfect. Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Caliper vs caliber.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
English is not static, rather it is constantly changing. If large number of people use the term, it becomes the understood term and thus the correct term.

As things go that may be what happens but acceptance does not make bastardization of the language correct.

The printing press began the trend toward standardized spelling and stabilization of the English language and others. That is well established. Modern electronic voice recording and communication did much the same to standardize American English, in my opinion. Just listen to the speech of actors from various parts of the country in movies that were made in the 30s and 40s and compare that to the speech we hear in movies these days. Whether or not I am correct about that can be argued, but that's how I see it.

You'd think (maybe) that the proliferation of electronic means of communication would further stabilize pronunciation, accents, and other aspects of the spoken language AND the written language. It's curious that almost the exact opposite has taken place. I think it's a pretty interesting subject.

In the political and social realms, imprecise language is a plague. I could go into that in some depth but that's another rabbit hole altogether. Suffice it to say that the left has hijacked the language to the point that we can hardly combat their aims and whims.

I think precise communication is a lot more important than folks seem to recognize, and I would side with Jack O'Connor. I just have to wonder how badly he would tear me up, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RiverRider
English is not static, rather it is constantly changing. If large number of people use the term, it becomes the understood term and thus the correct term.

As things go that may be what happens but acceptance does not make bastardization of the language correct.

The printing press began the trend toward standardized spelling and stabilization of the English language and others. That is well established. Modern electronic voice recording and communication did much the same to standardize American English, in my opinion. Just listen to the speech of actors from various parts of the country in movies that were made in the 30s and 40s and compare that to the speech we hear in movies these days. Whether or not I am correct about that can be argued, but that's how I see it.

You'd think (maybe) that the proliferation of electronic means of communication would further stabilize pronunciation, accents, and other aspects of the spoken language AND the written language. It's curious that almost the exact opposite has taken place. I think it's a pretty interesting subject.

In the political and social realms, imprecise language is a plague. I could go into that in some depth but that's another rabbit hole altogether. Suffice it to say that the left has hijacked the language to the point that we can hardly combat their aims and whims.

I think precise communication is a lot more important than folks seem to recognize, and I would side with Jack O'Connor. I just have to wonder how badly he would tear me up, though.

Well said.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Met a fellow at the local rifle range recently. He showed me his brush buster cartridge with a round nose bullet . I asked him did he shoot it through brush at game . He said always .I asked if he ever hit the game he shot at? He said sometimes . crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is no such thing as standardized American English language anymore. The basterdization started in the late 60’s, then in the mid 90’s with computers proliferation it got worse. Now if you don’t have spell check they are lost, do they even teach sentence and paragraph structure anymore in school, probably not as that isn’t inclusive enough and it means assimilation into our society which can’t be tolerated or allowed.

Swifty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I pay no mind to most of it but,,,,, but hearing a firearm or cartridge called a pew or pew pew used to nearly set me off.

Then there's, SHOTTY. sick

And then there's TIPs or BULLET HEADs. Folks that usualy say that are thinking a bullet is the case & the projectile is a tip or head. Had some cases & bullets F/S once & a guy wanted the brass but said he was flush with tips. That one had me confused for a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here an irritation caused by use of a common European term especially in the UK

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

This is a long one but a good documentary on the origin and evolution of our language

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brydan

This is a long one but a good documentary on the origin and evolution of our language

I scanned through a few spots of that and may one day take the time to see it in its entirety, but I got a sense of what it is about. It might complement a course I took in college pretty well, "History and Structure of the English Language." It was the most interesting course I ever had, believe it or not, and I was genuinely disappointed when the semester came to an end. That was 1989, but I do recall a good deal of it. Based on watching snippets of the video, it seems to be focused in detail on certain historical events of significance. I can see that it is by no means a comprehensive history, but four hours just isn't enough time for that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.