Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ive been watching the same rifle in a gun shop. Its probobly a 92%+ cond rifle. Same cal made in I believe 1953. Its priced at 2750. Theres tax on top if it of course. Its been sitting in the rack since July. To give OP idea where the market is right now.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
Ive been watching the same rifle in a gun shop. Its probobly a 92%+ cond rifle. Same cal made in I believe 1953. Its priced at 2750. Theres tax on top if it of course. Its been sitting in the rack since July. To give OP idea where the market is right now.

Likely not the "same" rifle, as the OPs is not worth that kind of money. Read 79s posts. That is likely closer to true value.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One thing I forgot to mention is that it could be a Model 54 stock that is on it as well. Darrel Wick

RAVENS & WOLVES
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll stick with my assessment from yesterday.

If the OP doesn’t want to deal with eBay/gunbroker; I’d list the scope here (separately) for $200 and the rifle for $1000 - and be willing to entertain offers.

My 0.02

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’ll stick with my assessment from yesterday.

If the OP doesn’t want to deal with eBay/gunbroker; I’d list the scope here (separately) for $200 and the rifle for $1000 - and be willing to entertain offers.

My 0.02

AK, that is exactly my thoughts. However, I'd go one step further and ask for pics of bolt face and some closeups of the crown and muzzle. That way I could give a more definitive eval. The bluing wear on the outside doesn't bother me as much as what the inside condition tells us.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No mention of condition of the bore, the wood and the metal have definately seen better days. May be a put together rifle, therefor little interest especially at the asking price.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by irfubar
I will offer $500.... that's the best I can do

Originally Posted by Denver257
With all that said what would a reasonable value be on a rifle like this?

A lot of the input you've received has been from gentlemen who are trying not to offend.

The rifle has no collector value.

$700 would be a fair ask, at $800 you'd be doing well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by 79S
$1500 shipped for the whole thing?

You won’t get that on here, you need to go put it on gunbroker.

In my humble opinion, that may be a stretch even on GB.

I agree, but weird stuff happens on GB as you know. I think $1500 will be a stretch to get. I hope the OP didn't pay a bunch for it.

We’ll soon find out how “weird”, as you see it’s now on GB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crockett305
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by 79S
$1500 shipped for the whole thing?

You won’t get that on here, you need to go put it on gunbroker.

In my humble opinion, that may be a stretch even on GB.

I agree, but weird stuff happens on GB as you know. I think $1500 will be a stretch to get. I hope the OP didn't pay a bunch for it.

We’ll soon find out how “weird”, as you see it’s now on GB

Yes, we see it. It also has very minimal pictures. The ones I asked for previously would tell me/us a lot. Also, with this rifle, the proof marks on the barrel do not line up with the ones on the receiver. I'd be leery about this one, as it's probably a rebarrel. At best it is a shooter, not a collector. And I emphasize "at best" here. Lets hope it does that. That's not even bringing the major bluing loss into the picture, and the stock is not worth anything. Now, it is very possible that some guy bids on it, that does not know what he's looking at. Not to crap on this guys thread, but he probably should have asked questions in the Winchester collector forums here. However, he has every right to ask what he wants for it, but that does not mean he's going to get it. Good luck to the seller.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have no problem getting those pictures, of course I don’t have the ability to get them on here myself. But I can get them for anyone who wants to see them. The bore is good and the rifle functions and shoots excellent, I can definitely say that much. I ASSUMED with a 48 on the barrel and a 1948 serial number that meant that it likely wasn’t a put together gun.

Again, I didn’t realize the issues with the stock when originally listing it. I’m obviously not going to say exactly what I have in the rifle but it’s certainly more than I should have in it according to the figures being mentioned here. when I bought it there were multiple bidders very close behind me, That was at a better and probably unreasonable time in the gun market. I’ve since hunted with this rifle multiple times, taken deer with it and I was ready to sell it to help fund another purchase. Most likely I will be keeping it because I never intended for it to be a collector piece and I like it well enough to not take what it might possibly be worth.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m doubtful it’s a rebarrel. ‘48 sn; ‘48 stamped barrel; witness mark centered; equal amounts of wear. Does the bolt sn match? Not sure we have asked.

Still, as everyone has said, you have a well worn barreled action with no real collector value in a stock that has either been replaced or poorly refinished.

You put your minimum where you are comfortable selling it; and that may be above what someone is willing to pay. Sounds like you are ok with that, so no harm, no foul. Good luck.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’m doubtful it’s a rebarrel. ‘48 sn; ‘48 stamped barrel; witness mark centered; equal amounts of wear. Does the bolt sn match? Not sure we have asked.

Still, as everyone has said, you have a well worn barreled action with no real collector value in a stock that has either been replaced or poorly refinished.

You put your minimum where you are comfortable selling it; and that may be above what someone is willing to pay. Sounds like you are ok with that, so no harm, no foul. Good luck.

Bolt SN matches

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Bolt SN matches

Thanks for the reply. That definitely helps your cause!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 79S
My $500 offer still stands

Well aren’t you just mr generous 🥰👊. Now knowing that’s a factory D&T barreled action it’s worth more than $500 bucks.

Please overlook my ignorance, but what does D&T stand for?

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member Safari Club International
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Chance615
Originally Posted by 79S

Well aren’t you just mr generous 🥰👊. Now knowing that’s a factory D&T barreled action it’s worth more than $500 bucks.

Drilled and tapped.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by donsm70
Originally Posted by Chance615
Originally Posted by 79S

Drilled and tapped.

Duh! Brain Fart on my end! Thank you for making me feel stupid lol.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no problem getting those pictures, of course I don’t have the ability to get them on here myself. But I can get them for anyone who wants to see them. The bore is good and the rifle functions and shoots excellent, I can definitely say that much. I ASSUMED with a 48 on the barrel and a 1948 serial number that meant that it likely wasn’t a put together gun.

Again, I didn’t realize the issues with the stock when originally listing it. I’m obviously not going to say exactly what I have in the rifle but it’s certainly more than I should have in it according to the figures being mentioned here. when I bought it there were multiple bidders very close behind me, That was at a better and probably unreasonable time in the gun market. I’ve since hunted with this rifle multiple times, taken deer with it and I was ready to sell it to help fund another purchase. Most likely I will be keeping it because I never intended for it to be a collector piece and I like it well enough to not take what it might possibly be worth.

It’s all about learning, now you know who to ask and where to ask. When it comes to pre64’s BSA or Akwolverine are the guys I’m asking. Not going to beat a dead horse you know you paid too much for it now. But with that, if you watch flea bay or got to gunshows keep an eye out for a pre64 stock. You never know you might stumble into one at a reasonable price. But you will probably never recoup your money.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Guys always say that it is worth what it sells for. You are doing the right thing by putting it on GB. You'll have a lot of people looking at it. 79s is right, sometimes really weird things happen there too. The positives of your rifle is you know it fires/shoots, which is a good thing, and it's chambered in a cool cartridge. I don't know if you mentioned how well it shoots though? I personally would like to see the pics I mention, if I were a potential buyer. I also like the fact that you are not messing with the bluing, so it is not being misrepresented or any funny business going on there. Just a lot of bluing wear.

When I see a rifle like that, it tells me that someone really loved the rifle enough to use it. Maybe even the infamous one rifle man owned it. I have a classic 7mm rem mag that was that way, and a more recently purchased pre 64 270 featherweight, and boy do those rifles shoot!! Generally if a rifle is used like that, it shoots well enough, and operates like a singer sewing machine, guys hang on to them and use them. The original owner probably hunted all kinds of animals with this rifle and had it in the field a bunch, in a rifle scabbard and in all kinds of weather. And when I say a bunch, I mean prarie dogs, yotes, to elk. If only it could tell us stories about all the hunts it's been on.. I wish you the best of luck in selling your rifle. If it does not get bids on it this go around, lower the price a little. Eventually someone will buy it. I also agree with others here that say to separate the scope and rifle. Generally you will get more money that way. It's also easier to ship a rifle without the scope on there. I've actually bought rifles on GB, where the scopes were broken or bent during shipment. Luckily they were cheap scopes and I was only buying the rifles. Had to throw away 2 scopes because of that. Just a warning, some guys are not as nice as I am in that department. However, had they been a high dollar scope, and I paid the amount expecting to get a good scope and rifle, I'd be asking for a refund. I'd pull the scope off and sell it here, like others have suggested. Someone might give you a couple hundred for it?

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm currently hunting with a rebarreled '53 model in 257. Smooth shooting rifle in nice vintage shape. I gave $500 for it a few years back with a weaver 6 power on it. Now sports acLeupold vari-x II.

If you do not sell, I might be interested in making an offer on it.

Last edited by Chance615; 11/19/23.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.