Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prolly the first time in years the killer did not just keep his yap shut

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The DNR isn't willing to admit we have half the wolves we do. I doubt cougars are any different!

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
We have a dairy farm in western Wisconsin that I grew up on. Around 1980 or so I was driving down the road behind our farm fox hunting. i was screwing around blowing a rabbit call out the truck window when an adult cougar came out on the neighbors ridge and crossed a hay field. Kinda freaked me out but 100% sure it was a cougar. I went and looked for tracks then home to tell my dad, as soon as I walked in the barn he asked me what was wrong with me. I told him I saw something thats not supposed to be around here, it was the cougar. Eventually I called the WDNR and they told me there were no cougars in Wisconsin.

I find it funny they are seeing them all over the place now, including having one trapped in a barn. What we do have a lot of now, is bobcats. Have never seen one back in the day. Have a handful of family and friends that have either trapped or shot one. We get them every year on the deer cameras, and see them when hunting. Some times 2-3 at a time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ReedsRebel
We have a dairy farm in western Wisconsin that I grew up on. Around 1980 or so I was driving down the road behind our farm fox hunting. i was screwing around blowing a rabbit call out the truck window when an adult cougar came out on the neighbors ridge and crossed a hay field. Kinda freaked me out but 100% sure it was a cougar. I went and looked for tracks then home to tell my dad, as soon as I walked in the barn he asked me what was wrong with me. I told him I saw something thats not supposed to be around here, it was the cougar. Eventually I called the WDNR and they told me there were no cougars in Wisconsin.

I find it funny they are seeing them all over the place now, including having one trapped in a barn. What we do have a lot of now, is bobcats. Have never seen one back in the day. Have a handful of family and friends that have either trapped or shot one. We get them every year on the deer cameras, and see them when hunting. Some times 2-3 at a time.

Several years ago a guy bow hunting deer video taped a cougar from his stand, not far from Palmyra, Missouri. He reported it to the conservation dept. and let them look at the video and they told him the same as the WDNR told you. We don't have them here. Not to be dismissed he took that video to the a local TV news station and it was plain to see exactly what it was and yes it was a cougar. MDC had egg on their face big time over that. I've only seen one close to my place but I hear others see them too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Its a damn cougar lol. If it evem remotely looked like it was becoming aggressive, put the bitch down. Dude had a freakin bow. Not much protection there

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by 673
My Son had 3 Cougars under his treestand several years ago now. He called me on the radio and was wondering what to do, a pant wetting moment, but from the safety of my position I advised him to just observe, he did so.

They were there for more than half an hour, rolling around making a variety of whistling noises lol, just one of the many benefits of spending time in the woods hunting.

Exactly.

lolololololololololololololol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Several years ago a guy bow hunting deer video taped a cougar from his stand, not far from Palmyra, Missouri. He reported it to the conservation dept. and let them look at the video and they told him the same as the WDNR told you. We don't have them here. Not to be dismissed he took that video to the a local TV news station and it was plain to see exactly what it was and yes it was a cougar. MDC had egg on their face big time over that. I've only seen one close to my place but I hear others see them too.

I am doubtful of any of this story. The Missouri Department of Conservation has had Mountain Lion information on their website for years. Since the mid-90's there have been over 100 confirmed lion sightings in the state. The MDC has developed a policy around the mountain lion in Missouri. Lions are protected and there is no hunting season however lions are not considered a desirable species in Missouri. Several lions have been killed in defense of life or livestock and no charges have been filed in any of those shootings. MDC confirms the lion's presence based on factual evidence, real proof of life, not rumors and gossip. And that upsets the goober who sees something out of the corner of his eye as he blasts down County Road 11 trying not to spill his beer or swallow his chew and then wants to claim to anyone with an open ear that he just saw a black panther down by the low water bridge. Sorry Bubba, not good enough. Despite the claims of black helicopters stocking panthers and rattlesnakes MDC has been pretty transparent about the presence of lions here.

https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/report-...-reports/confirmed-mountain-lion-reports

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We aren't supposed to have them in Arkansas either. I almost hit one in the truck sw of where I live before daylight several years ago. I have hunting friends that have seen them as well. Heard some stories about people killing them and dumping them in the county.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
We aren't supposed to have them in Arkansas either. I almost hit one in the truck sw of where I live before daylight several years ago. I have hunting friends that have seen them as well. Heard some stories about people killing them and dumping them in the county.

Summer job while in high school in oil field out of Refugio in 1967. Cat operator from the sticks in Arkansas told me of a few of his sightings of them from.years before.

Once after hunting in the snow he walked the logging road back to his truck and Big cat tracks had followed him.into the woods quite a way.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by cv540

Sure sounds like he made the right decision. A number of friends in WI now carry a pistol when they bowhunt because of wolves tracking them as they walk to and from their stands.

BTW WI DNR has always understated - trying to be nice about their lying - the size of the very significant wolf population they created after hoodwinking deer hunters about the plan.

Wait till Biden releases 100 grizzlies in Eastern WA State.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yrs ago I was going out for an afternoon bowhunt on my bud's farm.
The guy mowing next door hopped off his ride and came over as I was unpacking my stuff
"please don't shoot the cougar" he said.

It was an escapee from a nearby place, and he'd seen it in the area that day.

Back then I wondered how many cougar sightings were escapees vs how many were wild.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/19/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of our trail cams has 8 cats on it in a week. We can't hound them and they don't come to the call if it's open enough to shoot.....they're simply hard to kill.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Its a damn cougar lol. If it evem remotely looked like it was becoming aggressive, put the bitch down. Dude had a freakin bow. Not much protection there
I don't know what the rules are in Wisconsin, but I always carry a handgun when hunting here in Kentucky be it hunting with bow, shotgun, or rifle.

NRA Benefactor Member
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Twice I have had issues with Mountain Lions while elk hunting.

One was when I killed a an average 5x5 bull with my Model 29 .44 mag right towards dark. Long story short, while quartering it up my flashlight burned out and I kept getting a feeling I was being watched. Started hauling quarters out on my back and kept having an uneasy feeling, that I was being watched, but there are lots of wolves in the area too. On the last trip in the bag I had hung in the tree, had the entire bottom ripped out and the shoulder was gone. The ground was disturbed but I could not see crap due to the dark.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

HATED walking under all those branches of big trees on the pack out with the rack.

After that I pretty much always have at least 2 lights, one being a headlamp, and some form of semi auto.

Just a couple years back I killed a big cow elk in a snow filled draw.

Quartered it up.

The bottom of the draw was narrow and steep.

As is my normal procedure, I left my rifle at the truck and just carried a handgun on the return trips, to save weight and to make negotiating the terrain easier.

Ended up with a Mountain lion tracking me in the draw. I guess the Lion wanted a meal.

Makes things interesting, as with a heavy pack, its hard as heck to turn around quick, and lions like to pounce from behind and get on your back.

I just ended up walking with the Glock in one hand, hiking stick in the other. smile

Good times!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if healthy lions act differently in the east/mid west, then they do out west with the difference in people population/forest/desert size? We get some reports of aggressive lions, but very few. I have hunted my entire life in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming and have seen 12-15 lions (without dogs) as well as dozens and dozens of fresh tracks. I have never had any situation where I felt threatened in any way, shape or form either for myself or my pack string.

Bears and wolves are a different story.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I wonder if healthy lions act differently in the east/mid west, then they do out west with the difference in people population/forest/desert size? We get some reports of aggressive lions, but very few. I have hunted my entire life in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming and have seen 12-15 lions (without dogs) as well as dozens and dozens of fresh tracks. I have never had any situation where I felt threatened in any way, shape or form either for myself or my pack string.

Bears and wolves are a different story.

I think out West they are conditioned to only go after people in spandex.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was chatting with my buddies about this Mountain Lion kill in Wisconsin.....

The one conclusion that we all arrived at.... any way you look at it.... this dude has the state record Mountain Lion killed with archery equipment....

We all are going to do what we can to knock him off the top of the list....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.