Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The brakes on my 03 Tacoma started grabbing yesterday. When you barely press the pedal, the rear drums lock momentarily, and I could hear the ABS module activate. The warning light in the dash would also flash, but doesn’t stay on. Soon as you let off the pedal, it goes back to normal.

I did cross a shallow creek right before this started, but doubt that has anything to do with it, as I’ve crossed it a 100 times before.

Where would you start looking to find the problem?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would pull the rear drums and see if there is wear, brake fluid or differential lube on the shoes. Any of these can be the culprit. Water on the shoes can cause a pull but if that is the only problem it usually clears up quickly as the shoes dry out. After a submersion of drum brakes, apply the brakes lightly for a short distance to help dry the drums out.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pull the drums and have a look as mentioned.
I recently had a similar issue and found one of the two hold down pins was broken causing the shoes to "ride sideways", fugging the drum and shoes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been watching a lot of YT vids lately in anticipation of buying a new vehicle in the Spring. One thing that crops up often is brake cylinders seizing on Tacomas. Fortunately, it's a simple replacement and not that expensive. I'd have a Toyota dealership look at yours because there are a LOT of counterfeit aftermarket parts for Toyotas out there, most often found at non-dealership repair shops.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That’s where I’ll start. Many thanks, men!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not related to your question, but on my ‘03 I was going through front brakes and warped rotors til I started torquing lug nuts to 80 Ftlbs. I’m running steel wheels and Toyo MT’s

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Not related to your question, but on my ‘03 I was going through front brakes and warped rotors til I started torquing lug nuts to 80 Ftlbs. I’m running steel wheels and Toyo MT’s
I’ve not had that problem. I replaced the pads several years back, but the rotors were good and remain so.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I've been watching a lot of YT vids lately in anticipation of buying a new vehicle in the Spring. One thing that crops up often is brake cylinders seizing on Tacomas. Fortunately, it's a simple replacement and not that expensive. I'd have a Toyota dealership look at yours because there are a LOT of counterfeit aftermarket parts for Toyotas out there, most often found at non-dealership repair shops.
The only reasons I would go to a dealership would be for warranty/recall work or to buy a new vehicle. I’m reasonably sure I can fix it. I just thought someone here would have run into this before and knew where to look first. Sounds like pulling the drums for an inspection inside and going from there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
This is very good advice. Aside from labor, it might not be as painful as you would think. I did a brake job on my nephews 07 Camry. It cost about $35 more for genuine Toyota parts than using chineseium crap from VatoZone/Oreillys/Napa.

Last edited by smarquez; 11/19/23.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any sand/small gravel in that creek that could have gotten in there?

Suspicious that it started after crossing the creek. A quick check and you might find something besides water in there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Any sand/small gravel in that creek that could have gotten in there?

Suspicious that it started after crossing the creek. A quick check and you might find something besides water in there.
There’s always a chance. I’ll check tomorrow. I wouldn’t be surprised if the drums, shoes, and cylinders all need replacing. I’m mainly curious if the axle seals are leaking now.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

That & Amazon & Fleabay most likely also

I buy all my 'Yota OEM parts from these guys in AZ

Many 10-15% off sales offered along with free shipping

https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com/Lexus_2003_LX-470.html

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Since you have disc front and drum rear you should have an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear that's not working right. May just need to be reset.

Last edited by victoro; 11/20/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by victoro
Since you have disc front and drum rear you should have an adjustable a proportioning valve for the rear that's not working right. May just need to be reset.
I hadn’t considered that. I’ll check it out if I don’t find anything wrong in the drums. Thanks!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Drums,cutting edge technology lol

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Well, the damned thing gets me where I want to go, and I retired at 48, so laugh all you want.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by garddogg56
well my '01 not only has drums in the back it also has hand crank windows and a clutch with a genuine stick shift.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
See if you're leaking anything out of your rear axle seals. Had the same thing on my '02. Leaking seals was the culprit.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DaveR
See if you're leaking anything out of your rear axle seals. Had the same thing on my '02. Leaking seals was the culprit.
I’ll look at that too. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Could the parking brake cable be partially set or not returned all the way?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.