Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have done several walnut stocks but never done maple. I have a spalted maple blank I bought several years ago that I want to use for Argy 1909 based barreled action I bought from a fellow forum member. I didn’t know until now that spalted maple is actually caused by fungus. I am paranoid about everything that looks like a black mold. The wood will be sealed, of coarse, but I wonder if anyone has thoughts about it. Looks beautiful, though. Very dense grain, looks denser than English walnut.

Last edited by k98junkie; 11/19/23.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Given the nature of spalted wood, may be difficult to get a useful opinion from anyone reputable who hasn’t first examined the blank. Suggest calling Wenig Custom Gunstocks and ask them, for I think they do a fair amount of maple. They will also machine inlet it if you chose to go that route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Growing up in a sawmilling family, region, we called it punky or doody. And threw
it in the slab pile. I would want it stabilized before any more money was put into it.

Maybe it is still strong, but it has to have degraded some.

It makes an interesting look for grips or scales, a stock is another animal.

Maybe it's just prejudices, but that look invokes a negative response.

Don't get me started on "Live Edge" furniture!
Dad and Pap would have a conniption if they could see folks dropping huge
money on lumber that hadn't been edged. And mills acting like
bark on a board was something rare and special.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
we cut a lot of spalted wood at the mill to be used for live-edge furniture. It IS beautiful stuff, especially in the light colored woods like maple. However, remember that spalting is actually the result of the beginning of the decaying or rotting process and with that is, or will be, the softening of the wood. I would say that if it is the very early spalting process, the wood will still have its normal hardness. But the more the spalting, the more the softening and if there is lots of spalting, there will be considerable softening.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of guys use spalted woods by stabilizing them with epoxy. You could rough the blank, vac the blank with epoxy and finish.

You might email south cox and ask him as he does a lot of exotic woods.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't waste your time. Spalted wood is wood that is decaying and the fungus is already attacking the wood, creating the black streaks you see. Even if it seems solid in some areas, it will be soft and degraded in other areas, making it unsuitable for working, sanding, or taking finish properly- not to mention it may not be suitable for recoil resistance. Worst thing is you won't realize it until it is already cut and shaped and you've wasted time and money on it. Also, drying a blank that is spalted is iffy at best. Even if it shows it is dry in some areas, the degraded areas can hold a lot of moisture that will show up at the worst time.
Now, the reality is that if you have just a few very small spalt lines in restricted areas you may or may not be able to use it but the risk is still there. For example I have a piece of Spalted maple I just finished on a rifle. It has very small spalt lines in the gorgeous fiddleback maple from a tree I cut down many years ago. It finished fine and worked fine for the most part, but when I tried to checker it there were soft spots in some areas that constantly would cut deeper than the surrounding areas and caused hollow spots which stood out like a sore thumb. I had to sand all the checkering off and leave it without.

And forget trying to stabilize it properly. I stabilize knife handle wood with a vacuum chamber and stabilizing fluids as it should be done and it adds a huge amount of weight to the blank. Forget epoxy, it won't penetrate deep enough to actually stabilize the stock. If you like carrying a 20 lb + rifle into the field, you may consider it but I wouldn't entertain this thought.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Spalted maple is actually standing dead wood. It usually pulls minerals up into the stump so can look great, but the blank is only suitable for very low recoiling rifles like a 222, 223, etc., I would not cut one of the blanks that I have, for even a 308. I usually buy four tables at shows and will put a spalted maple blank out, because they show real well under bright lights, but they do not have much strength at all, on their very own merit. You could reinforce them with pillars, a block, 100% glass bedded, etc. But if it hits the floor, do not expect to pick it up in one piece.

I own a retail stock blank company, and that is about as fair of an appraisal of spalted wood as I can give you. As Sheister said, do not expect to stabalize one either, would be like carrying a gallon of epoxy or a rock around.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would not on a rifle stock though these 20 year old spalted maple grips have done fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Caught at the proper time spalted wood can produce very nice stocks with plenty of strength. There is a lot of absolutely wrong info above. I have made and shown a number of spalted maple and myrtle stocks here before. They are still doing fine years later.

Splating is caused by fungi growing through the wood (hyphae is the term for the tiny hair-like growth.) There are many different species and they usually have a limited number of species they colonize. They are categorized by the type of action they have on the wood. The black cell type is the most desired in maple and does the least structural damage. The hyphae growing in the wood release digestive enzymes to break down sugars and some more complex carbs. Because multiple hyphae will grow through the same piece they digest the sugars out until they bump into a zone being digested by another hyphae. The black lines forming the lines between zones are not minerals. It is digested sugars that could not be recovered by the fungi.

There are many, many species of different kinds of fungi and imposters like "black line disease" in walnut which is actually a virus which usually attacks cherry trees. There is also a fungus that attacks box elder which produces patches of orange-pink which fluoresce bright pink under black light. Another here in alders makes emerald greens. Beech is notorious for great and wild spalting colors.

The bad fungi attack cell walls (lignin) immediately and produce a number of distinct damage types. White spot is common in soft maple and produces pale, blotchy areas which get soft quickly. Brown rot fungus is another bad one and produces soft brown zones quickly. And there are a ton more.

Bigleaf maple is the only common stock material which beats walnut in virtually every desirable mechanical category... ON A WEIGHT TO WEIGHT BASIS. Because almost all walnut is heavier it is still the better wood usually. There are bigleaf blanks around which get into the middle of the walnut density range. If the blank is dense enough and has no white or brown rot it will probably make a fine blank structurally.

A dense blank will checker just fine. A good seal coat of epoxy or CA will make a lighter stock quite checkerable. Avoiding high line count checkering is a good way to reduce the problem, as is a multi-line tool of 3 or 4 lines.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m a forensic wood expert within the boat building world but do lots of testing and custom furniture and boat building. I’ll make this short but spalted hard maple species are not the best candidate for applications where there is shock and compression. I’ll let it go at that. It’s pretty but not suitable

Rick

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
I’m a forensic wood expert within the boat building world but do lots of testing and custom furniture and boat building. I’ll make this short but spalted hard maple species are not the best candidate for applications where there is shock and compression. I’ll let it go at that. It’s pretty but not suitable

Rick
Please describe exactly which aspects of shock and compression you consider questionable in regard to hard maple.

Please expect very specific follow-up questions to define your concerns. Your concerns about hard maples are different from my comments about bigleaf but should be greatly minimized with hard maples.

Arguments from Authority are generally hollow and require a great deal of energy to substantiate. Vague statements presented as fact are open to serious inspections and any minor failure to support them create ever larger questions.

Feel free to visit the many websites using the Encyclopedia of Wood (US Forest Products Lab at Madison WI.) I will be using that data for very specific questions to start. They also published a large book on large wood timbers used in bridges which I will be relying on for gross data to back the small end of the extremes calculations. Fair warning: I may have had a hand in recalculating some of them based on weathering projections.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one has a small amount of spalting in the fore end. It has been checkered since this photo was taken , it took the checkering fine and has held up perfectly

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking rifle Brother irfubar, what caliber?

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
220 Swift with a 1/7.7 twist. It likes 70 gr Barnes TXS bullets at 3400 fps , wicked little low recoil set up

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cool, I really like the Tiger Shark Pattern in the wood, good stuff!

KB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Woodpecker

Rick
Please describe exactly which aspects of shock and compression you consider questionable in regard to hard maple.

Please expect very specific follow-up questions to define your concerns. Your concerns about hard maples are different from my comments about bigleaf but should be greatly minimized with hard maples.

Arguments from Authority are generally hollow and require a great deal of energy to substantiate. Vague statements presented as fact are open to serious inspections and any minor failure to support them create ever larger questions.

Feel free to visit the many websites using the Encyclopedia of Wood (US Forest Products Lab at Madison WI.) I will be using that data for very specific questions to start. They also published a large book on large wood timbers used in bridges which I will be relying on for gross data to back the small end of the extremes calculations. Fair warning: I may have had a hand in recalculating some of them based on weathering projections.

Crickets...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Cool, I really like the Tiger Shark Pattern in the wood, good stuff!
Tiger shark pattern??????????????????????????????????

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.