Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I warned students when I was conducting shotgun training and qualifications, that if I heard "shottie" or 'the gauge" in reference to their weapon they would fail the qualification. Only a few failed before they realized I was serious.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by greydog
... and on one memorable occasion, an ejaculator. GD

That made me laugh out loud.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"Long range hunting isn't hunting- it's shooting"

So explain to me in detail, what do you do to an animal with your rifle at close range ? club it to death ? stab it in the ear or eye hole with the barrel ? or do you shoot it ?

another one is ....

"Shooting an animal at long range is unethical because it doesn't allow an animal a chance to escape"

So, you miss a lot at short range ? allowing an animal to escape ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mart
I warned students when I was conducting shotgun training and qualifications, that if I heard "shottie" or 'the gauge" in reference to their weapon they would fail the qualification. Only a few failed before they realized I was serious.

Bravo!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Huh? Since when has that been news? the fact that 6mm = 0.236" was well known in the early 1890s, for example."

Understood, Dan, but 1890 was a few years ago and one example (or 2 or 3, even) does not make a very strong case. I'd suggest to you a majority of shooters under age 50 would tell you that .284" = 7mm and, not be aware of the truth.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe math is as important a subject as English is. It's not that difficult to remember that 1 inch = 2.54 cm. Then again, calculators have deprived several generations of useful numbers skills by now.

AI may well make things exponentially worse, and the irony is that those living in that future hell may have no idea what "exponentially" means.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Timberdoodle instead of woodcock sets my teeth on edge.

Last edited by meddybemps; 11/18/23.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
People say they are running something. I run my truck and shoot my rifles. I never run them.

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 11/19/23.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
People say they are running something. I run my truck and shooting my rifles. I never run them.
You don’t know what you’re missing.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Drives me when people ask what grain bullet they should shoot - what pound should I weigh? What dollar do you make at your job? We are doomed.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by barm
I was thinking recently how some people and manufacturers use words which are incorrect. For example, "My favorite caliber is the 30-06." When they should have said, "My favorite chambering and cartridge is the 30-06." Or they refer to a cartridge as a bullet, although a bullet is part of the cartridge it is not the whole. What are some examples that you hear which make you cringe a little?

100% the word caliber is used incorrectly so often by so many that should know different

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A couple-three years ago I Googled various major rifle and ammo-company websites, and over 30 used caliber instead of cartridge. Most of the same ones still do, from Federal to Weatherby.

Whether this is a symptom of the decline and fall of Western civilization is another question. English (and especially American English) is a constantly evolving language, based on "common usage."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One that really gets me is "pair of binoculars ". To my thinking one is either using a binocular or a pair of oculars.

I also think caliber refers to the diameter of the bullet (essentially since a 30 caliber bullet is 0.308") but cartridge is 300 Win Mag or 308 Winchester etc.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any "coolspeak",most of which have been mentioned. Boolit-I won't even open a post/add with this in the subject line.Optic instead of scope ,furniture instead of stock,"running". Hunting guns for close range"work". Nicknames for various cartridges. Every time someone mentions bear protection another poster will invariably have talked to an old guide whom advised him to file the front sight off of his bear protection handgun-this old guide must have warned half of the U.S. population.

Last edited by JimH; 11/19/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by rufous
One that really gets me is "pair of binoculars ". To my thinking one is either using a binocular or a pair of oculars.

Yep, saying a pair of binoculars is redundant, since "bi" already means pair. It's like saying "a pair of bicycles."

But it's such common usage that when I was writing the optics column for Petersen's Hunting in the 1990s, the second head editor of the magazine I worked for always changed "binocular" to "pair of binoculars."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't pay any attention to these ignorant fellas, let it go in one ear and out the other.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rufous

English is weird. Pants are a "pair of pants".

I hate it when someone says they are going to, or have used, an ATM machine. They should (justifiably) be punched in the face.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had to punch in my PIN number on the ATM machine to do an EFT transfer

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yesterday I was watching a video on YouTube from Kentucky ballistics where destroyed a cheap 1911 with an overloaded cartridge. He mentioned that the normal working pressure for a 45 ACP was 38k psi. I turned the video off at that statement.

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Before computers. Ads and catchy marquis on signs and bill boards would sometimes be intentionally mis-spelled for humorous affect. I had a teacher in school that pointed these out regularly as she felt obligated to, and she also took umbrage to the practice. She saw it as an assault on her life's work.

Popular musical lyrics, contemporary slang or figurative speech regularly butcher most languages. I doubt there's much help for it.

I read a book about the Holland Campaign in WWII.. Seems phone cables were ran all over the place and subjected to tampering by the enemy. Sometimes these slang or figurative speech phrases were used to double check whom was being spoken with.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 59 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.