-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my DIY on the cheap annealing machine. With the heat source I use and 750 tempilac, the necks/shoulders are only exposed to the heat for 5 or 6 seconds. No guessing, just consistency. An extra 4 seconds would likely ruin my brass.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I need that in my loading procedure! I saw where there was a company that builds one really similar, can't recall the name?

HeayBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Heavy Barrel

Just use a deep well socket and drill with a Propane torch and don't waste your money on that unit unless you are gonna do alot of brass. Annealing isn't as difficult as some think it is.

A slow to moderate spin with a medium flame will be plenty. Stay away from the flame in the tip of the torch and just use the outer portion of the flame, the tip of that flame is good. A light blue tint just below the shoulder is good. Generally under 10 seconds will do it, a one one thousands count is best.

If you've got your necks too soft, and have excessive neck tension, you WILL push things out of whack seating a bullet.

My neck tension, .002 on pump rifles and .001 on my bolt rifles. Its fine with how I anneal, and bullet concentricity under .001 of an inch consistently and accuracy under a half inch with my bolt rifles. Head expansion is .0015 after firing, with no indications of over annealing there either.

BTW I'm on my SIXTH reload.......

Last edited by anothergun; 11/13/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
I need that in my loading procedure! I saw where there was a company that builds one really similar, can't recall the name?

HeayBarrel

Cost me $75 worth of mechanical and electrical parts back in 2015. All found on Amazon and Ebay. I made my own cabinet out of an old scrap aluminum road sign. Look up Elfster on the YouTube. He can guide you through a parts list and build.

The nice thing about having a "machine" is I can do as few, or as many as I want/need, and have the same result from case to case, loading to loading, season to season. Dependable consistency.

I couldn't justify a commercial made machine despite having a large volume of match brass to do every month, but I could justify $75 dollars and a Sunday afternoon putting it together.

Pretty sure that if you switch over to using some sort of machine you'll see the fallacy in other methods that aren't governed by mechanical advantage. I used the socket/drill myself for a couple decades until I realized I needed more consistency in what I was doing. Holding tolerances costs money and effort.

I have brass that I've lost count how many reloads are on them, well over a dozen, annealing every firing. I'd say just THAT is worth the $75 and a Sunday afternoon. Not to mention holding the set back and neck tension tolerances I go by for my precision stuff.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Up-date on what is going on for those that might be interested.

Got a new sizing die, a Redding neck die. It is resizing to .002 or less.

When I seat a bullet in the brass I have not yet shot but formed I get concentricity issues as bad as .019 out, but the neck is still withing .002 to .004.

When I seat a bullet with one time fired in my gun it stays .006 to .004.

I assume that maybe I softened the brass to much during my annealing process. I went a little longer because I knew that I was going to be moving a good bit going from 264WM to 257WM.

Waiting on my new seating die to see if it might be my RCBS seater.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Redding seater ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

When I seat a bullet in the brass I have not yet shot but formed I get concentricity issues as bad as .019 out, but the neck is still withing .002 to .004.

I assume that maybe I softened the brass to much during my annealing process. I went a little longer because I knew that I was going to be moving a good bit going from 264WM to 257WM.

HeavyBarrel

Not sure how you are chamfering the case mouths, but I have found a VLD type chamfer tool very helpful for seating some bullets straight.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Using a VLD chamfer tool.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like the necks are over-annealed.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

He had the same issue before he annealed Jordan. The RCBS seater and stem sucks.

Last edited by anothergun; 11/19/23.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Yes I am thinking that is likely. I should be getting new seating die tomorrow, if I do I can rule that out. Only thing that makes me think die issue is thar even on the loaded rounds with .019 run-out the necks are still reading fairly concentric? But the brass that has been fired in my rifle seems to not get extreme run-out, like maybe they have been work hardened slightly, reaffirming that they were annealed to much.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I don't know for sure but if I can find new 257wm brass I might give up on the converted brass.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes I am thinking that is likely. I should be getting new seating die tomorrow, if I do I can rule that out. Only thing that makes me think die issue is thar even on the loaded rounds with .019 run-out the necks are still reading fairly concentric? But the brass that has been fired in my rifle seems to not get extreme run-out, like maybe they have been work hardened slightly, reaffirming that they were annealed to much

HeavyBarrel

.019 run-out the necks are still reading fairly concentric?
So what's good concentricity to you then ? LOL

the brass that has been fired in my rifle seems to not get extreme run-out
of course it not gonna be out that much, it's formed to the chamber

maybe they have been work hardened slightly, reaffirming that they were annealed to much

Annealing produced more consistent shoulder bump and neck sizing. Can you post a pic of a newly annealed case ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by anothergun
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

He had the same issue before he annealed Jordan. The RCBS seater and stem sucks.

From the OPs first post on this thread.

Unable to source brass at a reasonable price I decided to make it out of once fired 264 Win Mag brass. Seemed an easy step as I annealed and ran the 264 through the 257 RCBS resizing die and brass looked great.

Right up until post # 18924152 it was assumed BY ALL that the necks were NOT over-annealed. You will induce TIR even with the BEST seater die if the necks are too soft. It's getting figured out and not with your help. You gave your last ditch effort, remember?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MikeS

HeavyBarrel

Not sure how you are chamfering the case mouths, but I have found a VLD type chamfer tool very helpful for seating some bullets straight.

Never heard of it. But I' getting one, thanks.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Watched Eric Cortina YouTube show earlier where he purposely over annealed some brass. He mentioned something about running the over annealed brass back through a full length die a few times to work harden it. Curious if anybody has done this with a positive outcome?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Don't know exactly what he meant about work hardening after annealing, but I'll say this..... he didn't have to mention running it a few times to harden the brass. You want to anneal every firing to avoid work hardening. Work hardening prevent consistent sizing. Anneal your brass like I told you and size. As long as you have consistent sized shoulders bumped back and consistent neck tension and concentric necks, then that's it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have over softened some brass for me 35 Whelen and yes I did repeatedly size it in my fl die to work harden it. Was successful as the shoulders stopped collapsing upon bullet seating.
F01

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
it's hard to over anneal. If you just rotate the brass at the tip of the secondary flame not the inner flame of a medium flame, and watch under a low light for the light blue hue just beneath the shoulder and stop there.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks Fury01 I will give that a try soon.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.