Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
As it states, I’m looking for the best solution for a lightweight synthetic replacement stock for a Ruger M77 Hawkeye standard 06 length action. I looked at McMillan and they don’t inlet for Rugers. I would like to get something similar to their carbon fiber Hunter sock as that is what my other rifle wears and I like the weight and ergonomics of it. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who has been down this road with a Ruger who has wanted something better than the factory stock or a Hogue Thanks

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My old tang 35 Whelen wears a 25 year old High Tech Specialties stock. I am not sure if Mark is still inletting for Rugers.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
McM will sell you a flat top, not inletted, stock and direct you to a 'smith who will inlet it for you. Of course McM doesn't offer much of a discount for the flat top stock, and the cost will be more than it was before McM was sold to the current owner, but if you really want a McM for your Ruger Hawkeye, and who wouldn't, it can be done if you're willing/able to throw money at it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Does your Hawkeye have wood or full Zytel stock? The Ruger Hawkeye full Zytel is not a bad option.

Ed
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a Brown Precision fiberglass, kevlar, and graphite stock on my Ruger 77 in .280, and like it VERY much. I bought one of their stock blanks, had them install the recoil pad and I bedded, finished, and painted it myself, but you can send your rifle to them and they'll bed it for you, and they also have pre-finished stocks. It tremendously improved the accuracy of that rifle, as the factory wood stock had a knot in it right in the receiver area.

Last edited by Skeezix; 11/20/23. Reason: Typo

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The factory Ruger synthetic stock is still the best option for that rifle. It will be lighter than a standard McMillan and just as strong. If I could get a McMillan Edge stock for a Ruger I'd consider it, but they have never offered that option.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I will check on the Brown Precision option. Currently it is wearing a Hogue over molded that is pillar bedded. Not horrible but it isn’t my ideal choice. My particular rifle is a SS that started life as an 06 with a brown laminate stock. It now wears a 24” Shilen 14” 35 Whelen barrel with Williams Gunsight fiber optic irons a stoned and tuned trigger and a smoothed and polished action. It’s a gun I had built with heavy whitetail and black bear in mind. I hunt bear over hounds which is why I chose a CRF action and had it polished. Bears fighting expensive hounds makes you want positive case ejections under hairy conditions. It has become the rifle I trust and reach for more often than not even with my fairly new Nosler M21 300 WM setting alongside it. The Hogue isn’t horrible I’d just like something a bit higher quality and better looking (if such a thing exists in synthetic stocks) than the Hogue.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ll also check with Ruger to see what there options are for a replacement stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my Ruger M77R in .280 Rem. with the Brown Precision fiberglass, kevlar, and graphite stock. I bought the stock as a blank, had Brown install the recoil pad and bought their metal filled epoxy bedding kit. Then I finished the inletting, bedded it with their kit (barrel totally free-floated), then rattle-can painted it with duck boat paint. With the factory wood stock, with the knot in the rear action screw area, the best groups I ever got out of it were 1.5" to 1.75" and the groups moved with the weather, even after I sealed the wood on the inside of the stock. After installing the Brown Precision stock, the rifle became a consistent sub-0.5 MOA shooter with several different bullets and loads.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18942633/ruger-m77-280-rem[/img]

I can't figure out how to make the images show in the thread.... sorry.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
The factory Ruger synthetic stock is still the best option for that rifle. It will be lighter than a standard McMillan and just as strong. If I could get a McMillan Edge stock for a Ruger I'd consider it, but they have never offered that option.

Oh JMR, going to rattle a few cages with that. I agree though..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just paint mine, install a proper recoil pad, glass bed and call it a day.

Well, you got to shoot it too. Then call it a day...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by brinky72
I’ll also check with Ruger to see what there options are for a replacement stock.

Ruger factory synthetic stocks are commonly seen on eBay.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Does the Hawkeye stock fit the Mark II?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes it will fit

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Skeezix
Here's my Ruger M77R in .280 Rem. with the Brown Precision fiberglass, kevlar, and graphite stock...

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18942633/ruger-m77-280-rem[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To add or link images from the Image Gallery or a photo host site like postimages or imgur, you have to copy the pic's web address and place it inside the image tags in your reply like so:

[img] pic's web address [/img]

Two ways to do that. You can manually type the image tags and paste the pic's web address inside them as above, or use the pic button in the Full Editor to generate the image tags as shown in the following screenshots:

1st reply by clicking the Use Full Editor button which gets you to the Full Editor screen ...

[Linked Image]

Then go to your hosted image and right click on it to copy the pic's address from the drop down menu. You can also copy it from the address bar at top of your browser screen, but I illustrate right clicking the image here ...

[Linked Image]

Next click the Add Pic/Image button at the top of the Full Editor button menu ...

[Linked Image]

Then paste your image's web address into the menu's address field (note that the field already has http:// added, so be sure to paste over it, or delete it first; i.e., you don't want a double http://http:// accidentally entered into the field ...

[Linked Image]

The screenshot below illustrates the image tags and address generated by the process below ...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Here's my Ruger M77R in .280 Rem. with the Brown Precision fiberglass, kevlar, and graphite stock...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To add or link images from the Image Gallery or a photo host site like postimages or imgur, you have to copy the pic's web address and place it inside the image tags in your reply.

Image tags: [img] pic's web address [/img]

Two ways to do that. You can manually type the image tags and paste the web address inside them, or use the pic button in the Full Editor to generate the image tags and entry fields as shown in the following screenshots:

1st reply by clicking the Use Full Editor button which gets you to the Full Editor screen ...

[Linked Image]

Then go to your hosted image and right click on it to copy the pic's address from the drop down menu. You can also copy it from the address bar at top of your browser screen, but I illustrate right clicking the image here ...

[Linked Image]

Next click the Add Pic/Image button at the top of the Full Editor button menu ...

[Linked Image]

Then paste your image's web address into the menu's address field (note that the field already has http:// added, so be sure to paste over it, or delete it first; i.e., you don't want a double http://http:// accidentally entered into the field ...

[Linked Image]

The screenshot below illustrates with red underline and arrows the image tags and address generated by the process below ...

[Linked Image]

That sounds like a huge pain in the azz. I just post directly from IMGRU. Copy the link, and add it to the thread. Easy peasy. You make it sound like complicated rocket science..

It for damn sure is not that complicated. Remember to hit where you are aiming. That goes for posts and targets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I really should have looked a little closer at your post. Your only mistake was copying and pasting the Image Gallery's address instead of the image's address itself. So you need to click on the image in the gallery, then copy the address to paste.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That sounds like a huge pain in the azz. I just post directly from IMGRU. Copy the link, and add it to the thread. Easy peasy. You make it sound like complicated rocket science..

It for damn sure is not that complicated. Remember to hit where you are aiming. That goes for posts and targets.

It wouldn't be the first time you demonstrated what a pompous jackass you are. Keep on keep'n on there.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 308ld
Does your Hawkeye have wood or full Zytel stock? The Ruger Hawkeye full Zytel is not a bad option.

My Ruger Hawkeye 308 All Weather. Barrel fluted, bolt handle skelatonized, trigger worked to 2.75lbs, Paint by Grand kids.

Ed
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’ve been looking at the H-S Precision and willl probably go that route. Stockys has them a little cheaper.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

My Ruger Hawkeye 308 All Weather. Barrel fluted, bolt handle skelatonized, trigger worked to 2.75lbs, Paint by Grand kids.

Nice rifle. Excellent paintwork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,234
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.