Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My lovely daughter age 23 has taken a shine to her new purple G19, but it doesn't seem to like her as much. I don't know what to tell her other than that her grip isn't firm enough, and then I watch her struggling to pull the trigger while holding too firmly, in my opinion. The pistol works fine in my hands. I'm just not enough of a pistol guy to guide her and could use some good advice.

The skinny...she's big enough to handle the pistol. She's right handed but left eye dominant. We've tried Browning, Federal, Winchester and S&B loads in the gun. I have her leaning into it, her thumbs are along side the left side of the frame.

Anybody got some advice for us?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lot of things can cause a stovepipe. In my experience a common cause is limp wristing or weak ammo. The slide doesn't move back far enough or with enough authority to eject the spent round, then closes with the empty cartridge stovepiped out the side of the chamber. If it's working for you and not her, it's clearly a shooter issue. Try different bullet grains, 115, 124, and 147 and see if that changes anything.

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I can do that. I think all we shot were 115

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
No reason a 19 shouldn't run just fine with factory 115's. Make sure she's gripping the pistol properly, "beavertail" portion of the grip in good contact with the web of her thumb/ index finger. If there's a gap between the rear portion of the frame and her hand, its wrong. She doesn't need to "crush" the grip to the point where trigger press becomes an issue, gentle forward push with the firing hand, gentle rearward pressure with the support hand. Make sure her wrist is in line with her forearm, some right hand/ left eye shooters tend to torque their wrist outboard in an attempt square up the rear site with their left eye. Hope that helps, if not 30 mins to an hour with a decent instructor should be able to diagnose it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Limp wrist

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Limp wrist

Most likely if it runs fine in your hands.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BMT
Limp wrist

Most likely if it runs fine in your hands.

BMT

Yes, clearly. Thanks. I am seeking advice on what to tell her. We don't have pistol instructors in our neck of the woods

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is she letting her elbows piston back and forth like shock absorbers? If she has a firm grip, make sure she also is giving the gun enough resistance from her elbows and shoulders.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
One technique is to have her close her eyes while you load the gun.

The give her an empty gun and see what happens when the pulls the trigger.

This is the same technique used to address a flinch in a rifle.

Repeat this process until she loses the flinch. Then, one time (without showing her) hand her a gun with a round in the chamber and see what happens.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 11/20/23.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BKinSD
My lovely daughter age 23 has taken a shine to her new purple G19, but it doesn't seem to like her as much. I don't know what to tell her other than that her grip isn't firm enough, and then I watch her struggling to pull the trigger while holding too firmly, in my opinion. The pistol works fine in my hands. I'm just not enough of a pistol guy to guide her and could use some good advice.

The skinny...she's big enough to handle the pistol. She's right handed but left eye dominant. We've tried Browning, Federal, Winchester and S&B loads in the gun. I have her leaning into it, her thumbs are along side the left side of the frame.

That confirms that it's limp-wristing.
I'd also be using 124gr ammo.
If you can find it, NATO and Fiocchi ammo is a little hotter and good to run through a new pistol.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B3

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
All good stuff thanks. I can work with this.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had a fellow and his wife in one of my classes. Same problem with his wife. He had sent it back to the factory twice already. I fired three magazines worth of ammo.Not a glitch. He still didn't believe me. He sold the gun.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Glocks are prone to do that with a severely limpwristed grip. There are some autopistols that will shoot even while being badly limpwristed, but a Glock isn't one of them.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In addition to a firm grip/wrist, also make sure the web of her hand is all the way up to the top of the rear of the grip.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

Rack the slide about a million times while sitting on the couch watching bad TV. Obviously no ammo around.
Then clean and lube it.
Good, cheap 124gr will run better than 115gr - more slide velocity.
A G19, when broke in, will run when held upside down with two fingers. At least mine will.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ve observed several folks (my wife was one)having “stove piping” trouble with Glocks ……they were “limp wristing”! My wife has never had the issue with her Sig 938! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Limp wrist

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
More of a question than a suggestion. Would a metal framed pistol help her to get started and get the feel then transition to a polymer pistol?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by memtb
I’ve observed several folks (my wife was one)having “stove piping” trouble with Glocks ……they were “limp wristing”! My wife has never had the issue with her Sig 938! memtb
Because of the metal frame on the P938. Autopistols with polymer frames are the most prone to malfunction in the hands of a limpwrister because of how light they are (and thus need firm support from the hands in order to rack the slide during firing), but there are some polymer pistols that are less prone than the Glock to this. If one doesn't limpwrist it, though, a Glock is amazingly reliable.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by IZH27
More of a question than a suggestion. Would a metal framed pistol help her to get started and get the feel then transition to a polymer pistol?
Yes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.