Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If I got a collar, I’d tie some sticks together with the collar on top and toss it in the nearest creek.

Doesn't work, they did that on Yellowstone and the collar still got traced back to Rip. smile
I figured that the constant, non-stop motion of the water would be a giveaway, but I'd do it anyway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Be a shame if the poor critter and its collar fell into a crevice or down between some boulders.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by colorado
We just need to reintroduce grizzlies into Colorado to keep the wolf numbers down smile
Ya'all want some griz we will send ya some.

deerstalker;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the day's looking promising a few valleys east of us on your side of the medicine line.

Was listening to the Communist Broadcasting Corp. on the radio the other morning heading up hunting and they had a bio on there who has now retired but spent most of his life studying grizzly bears in the Flathead Valley just east of you.

They currently have 74 collared grizzlies that they're monitoring - in the Flathead alone.

By his account, they're expanding their range and population here in BC and since they don't recognize the medicine line, for sure and certain they'll be down your way soon if they've not arrived already.

Oh, buddy wrote a book on his life out there in the Flathead. Here's a link, but I've not read it so can't recommend yes or no.

https://rmbooks.com/book/grizzly-bear-science-and-the-art-of-a-wilderness-life/

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We have them in the Upper Peninsula frown. I know people who have stopped going there to bear hunt with dogs because of the wolves attacking their dogs. I use bells and beeper collars on my bird dogs and whistle them in to keep them close. I always carry a handgun as well as I feel it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Several friends that deer hunt in the U.P. see nothing on trail cameras but wolves and can spend the 15 day firearm season in the woods and never see a deer. One of my best friends comes to lower MI mid December to harvest several doe's so his family has venison for the year. Small communities in the U.P. suffer economic loss due to the lack of deer hunters because of the wolves.
Some day the wolves will cross the frozen lake and take up residence in northern lower MI. It will be interesting to see what happens if that does indeed happen and leads to predatition on the elk herd.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
well, I guess it's time to fight fire with fire. Seems the anti-hunting groups have been using lawsuit after lawsuit to keep wolves protected from hunting, so why not use lawsuits to stop wolf introduction.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/12/...wildlife-lawsuit-cattlemens-association/

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TRnCO
well, I guess it's time to fight fire with fire. Seems the anti-hunting groups have been using lawsuit after lawsuit to keep wolves protected from hunting, so why not use lawsuits to stop wolf introduction.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/12/...wildlife-lawsuit-cattlemens-association/

I'd like to read that, but it requires a subscription to the Denver Post. Can you copy and paste it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Colorado Cattlemen’s Association and Gunnison County Stockgrowers’ Association sued Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service this week to delay the reintroduction of gray wolves into Colorado.

Through a lawsuit filed in federal district court Monday, the industry organizations are seeking a court order to delay the release of gray wolves into Colorado by Dec. 31, a deadline required by the state’s Gray Wolf Introduction Initiative narrowly approved by voters in 2020.

The complaint alleges the two agencies violated the National Environmental Policy Act by not conducting an environmental assessment or environmental impact statement on the “environmental consequences of reintroducing gray wolves to Colorado.”

Previous environmental impact studies released this fall did not address those issues, the lawsuit states.

The Colorado Cattlemen’s Association, which represents 6,000 members, has long opposed the ballot measure to reintroduce gray wolves, with officials describing it as a threat to humans, domestic pets, livestock and wildlife.

Under the state’s reintroduction plan, up to 10 wolves will be brought to Colorado from Oregon by plane or truck and released in Summit, Eagle or Grand counties by the end of the year, where they will likely disperse by up to 70 miles.

The agency plans to bring up to 50 more wolves to Colorado over the next five years.

But despite years of planning and development, state and federal wildlife officials did not take the required steps to analyze the impact of gray wolf reintroduction as required under the National Environmental Policy Act, the lawsuit alleges.

In a statement, Gunnison County Stockgrowers’ Association President Andy Spann said concerns raised by the group during the reintroduction plan’s development were not sufficiently resolved.

RELATED ARTICLES
The wolves are coming to Colorado, and the state has stockpiled explosives and deterrents. How are ranchers preparing?
With Colorado set to reintroduce gray wolves, bill backed by U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert seeks their removal from endangered species list
Colorado middle schoolers voting to name reintroduced gray wolves
“We believe that much of our input, and that of many others across Western Colorado, was diminished by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission,” Spann said. “We regret that a course of litigation on this and other issues seems to be the only recourse left to have these concerns legitimately addressed.”

The lawsuit seeks a declaratory judgment that the federal and state wildlife agencies violated the law by renewing an Endangered Species Act agreement without preparing an environmental impact statement on the reintroduction of gray wolves and a court order to delay reintroduction until it is complete.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife and U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials could not be reached for comment late Monday night.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sunday is the day there gonna start the capture in Oregon, Laden Marsh in Lagrande, Oregon is the spot there gonna bring them to by Helicopter would be funny if there was a huge protest like Bundy style with all sorts of media.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If all the hunters would just SSS, stick together and not admit to anything. There would be no problems.
We didn't care enough about our country to fight for liberty and justice in 2020, so I see no reason to fight for wildlife.

Life is good live it while you can.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hint:
Use FMJ for a pass-through and gut shoot. Let them expire on someone else’s land wink

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
If all the hunters would just SSS, stick together and not admit to anything. There would be no problems.
We didn't care enough about our country to fight for liberty and justice in 2020, so I see no reason to fight for wildlife.
You guys are dreaming if you think SSS will kill all the wolves, I wished but its not reality.
What got rid of them the first time? It wasn't shooting them.
99% of you will never see one.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/15/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Trapping them and poisoning them has been the only effective way. We hunters can not kill them fast enough

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Trapping them and poisoning them has been the only effective way. We hunters can not kill them fast enough
100%

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just do nothing but complain, that'll help a bunch. No one will ever convince me that not killing predators is a good thing.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No one said it's not a good thing. It's just that hunting them doesn't work. They reproduce faster than hunters can kill them. Their range is too large and they're too mobile. Finding them to shoot them is just pure luck and that doesn't get them eliminated. I've seen tracks here in Idaho many times but I've only seen hair once since they were planted here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I keep saying reintroduce grizzlies to control the wolf population ...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No one said it's not a good thing. It's just that hunting them doesn't work. They reproduce faster than hunters can kill them. Their range is too large and they're too mobile. Finding them to shoot them is just pure luck and that doesn't get them eliminated. I've seen tracks here in Idaho many times but I've only seen hair once since they were planted here.
Rockchuck nailed it 100% some just think its like coyote hunting far from the truth. Easy for some to spout off and say just SSS and that will take care of the problem.
Simple solution anybody who thinks its that easy come on out show how its done then get back to us later how the outcome was.
I've seen 3 in 30+ years hunting in montana 2 I couldn't have even got a shot at if I even wanted too.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/15/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Read the first 10 wolves will be released into Colorado tomorrow.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We had this discussion back when a few wolves made it to North Park.

Those North Park wolves are gone now. DEAD.

Wyomings Predator Zone is proof positive that hunting can work to stop expansion and remove a population before it becomes well established.

Dumping 10 wolves loose is a really poor way to establish a wolf population. One could suspect the guys on the ground doing the wolf reintroduction are setting it up for failure. Colorado Parks and Wildlife was against the wolf reintroduction.

I wonder how many of those wolves travel North and get whacked just across the Wyoming border?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
10 wolves a really poor way to establish a wolf pack? Are you kidding! You know how many were dumped in yellowstone in 1995 ? 14. 1995-1997 there were 41 dumped in Yellowstone now how man is there in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana?
The New Perce last i heard were gonna give Colorado 40.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 59 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,012
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.