Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Wonder if those females were bred?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CPW Plan
Private landowners, the general public, and other federal/state agency personnel will be requested to immediately report any observation of a gray wolf to CPW. Illegal take of gray wolves by the public will be discouraged through an extensive information and education program, which will include reference to all initially transplanted animals being monitored daily through GPS satellite collars and radio telemetry. Any reports of suspicious activity will be taken seriously and investigated. The public will be encouraged to cooperate with CPW in the attempt to closely monitor the wolves and quickly resolve any conflicts.

CPW will monitor transplanted wolves that emigrate into adjacent states and assess management implications on a case-by-case basis in consultation with that state’s wildlife management agency and the USFWS. Such animals may be captured and relocated back to Colorado in the most efficient and effective manner possible.

Any unexpected losses of wolves to preventable causes will immediately prompt a review of all associated factors, and, if possible, find ways to improve procedures. Unexplained losses or an unusually large number of losses during the first year of releases or following any modification to established protocols will prompt a full review of management procedures. To assure high initial post-release survival, the project may be suspended at any time until likely cause(s) of problems are identified, and acceptable solutions can be implemented to resolve the problem(s). Monitoring will occur over a longer time frame to assess when the program has reached its benchmarks for success and completion

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon me skipping all the posts above, but it seems to me that if they can use the wolves to cause a decline in game populations, they can make a case against allowing further hunting. That may well be the driving force behind this stuff. That Mule Deer maybe pressured too much matters not to them I expect.

If someone else already posted this idea well, sorry sorry sorry.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yes, and those evil scoped sniper rifles.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The only good thing about the release of these five wolves in Colorado is that there are now five less wolves in Oregon.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
10 oregon stock killers were released.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Wonder if those females were bred?

Might be just a bit early in the season for that.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in '79 and '80 friends and I drove up from Texas and bowhunted up on Unit 62. This was up on the Uncompahgre, 40 miles west of Montrose. At night we heard wolves howling every night. On the '80 trip, I actually had one trot by me within bow range, I had the wind right and no, I didn't even try to shoot him, ha. He looked 10ft long from nose to tail, big head and tall. I told a guy at a store down in Montrose we heard them at night, and I saw that one and he called me a liar! Heck, I know what a coyote looks like, a coydog looks like and a Red Wolf looks like! So they have been there quite awhile!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
. . . .I told a guy at a store down in Montrose we heard them at night, and I saw that one and he called me a liar! Heck, I know what a coyote looks like, a coydog looks like and a Red Wolf looks like! So they have been there quite awhile!!

Been told that myself about various critters
I finally came to the conclusion that the doubters
are usually those that spend an hour, hour and a
half, two hours in their stand, or depend upon
gamecams for all their scouting, or take naps
or diddle with their phone or whatever other
than observing while they're in the bush
Oh well. . . .

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There are plenty of solid sightings coming out of Colorado particularly the last few years. It’s obvious with time they will repopulate wherever they want, there is no limit.
In Colorado’s case being they are there and gradually expanding the way wolves do, what is the true reason that state is rushing it with money and resources? I know all the guesses we have, I’d just like to hear it from the horses mouth, the truth that is.

Having the place in Northern MN since the 50’s I have seen as a boy when wolves were at manageable number and no harm to anything. They gradually unchecked over 30 years really exploded and first wiped out the moose, then on to the deer, then livestock.
You Colorado folks won’t see much of them in the first years or feel the impact but then they will have numbers and your elk will get clobbered in the spring during calving season when the wolves hunt hardest to feed feed pups and the denning anchors the pack to tighter areas. Don’t worry about your bulls, the young cows and calves will get hit hardest and first. That’s when the real damage is done. They kill to kill then as well, they don’t stay and clean up a kill like the hard times of winter. This scenario wiped out a lot of prime elk country up in the Clearwater basin towards Lolo in Idaho, Yellowstone, and other places in the west as well.

Unchecked the wolves are a parasite with no bounds. With all the protections they become 24hour fearless killers. Using Full senses including daylight the ungulates get no break and stress factors kick in to the hooved breeders. At the time people in Colorado start happily seeing wolves regularly in the daytime you will know your beautiful elk herds are in serious trouble, with only one unallowable cure. Good luck.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thoughtful response Osky, and your insight comes from experience.

Colorado's experiment comes from the rabid enviro, animal rights, and unfortunately the voting majority. A 2020 ballot initiative that carried by 50.91% of the Colorado voting public mandated that Colorado Parks & Wildlife do this introduction regardless of the fact that wolves were establishing themselves.

This was the 3rd ballot box biology initiative that has passed in Colorado. The 4th is on it's way for 2024. As written, it will eliminate the hunting of mountain lions, bobcats, and lynx-more info here. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/18969426/hunting-under-fire-co-and-or It's a long read, but trying to get the word out to help with the effort to shortstop this BS of the general public thinking that they should manage wildlife instead of the agencies with the expertise.

Merry Christmas!

LHS

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Damn shame!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Media update-from Wyoming.

Cowboy State Daily

LHS

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No but they track their movements for a good amount of time so they can backtrack them for some time. So don’t think you can simply float it down a river or throw it in the bed of a truck and think they won’t figure it out.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Pardon me skipping all the posts above, but it seems to me that if they can use the wolves to cause a decline in game populations, they can make a case against allowing further hunting. That may well be the driving force behind this stuff. That Mule Deer maybe pressured too much matters not to them I expect.

If someone else already posted this idea well, sorry sorry sorry.

yep i mentioned this too and us /we the hunters and gun people are basically screwed ,10 years from now elk population will be half in Colorado. Minnesota used to have lots of deer ,moose and elk . now the moose are mostly gone, deer population is much lower now , elk population is low ,plenty beef cows have been missing and many are scared by wolf bites too. and to think 24 hr. Campfire has many liberals that vote for Biden Shameful .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Any clue if the woofs are headed for Wyoming ?? Love to hear they were all killed Shortly after crossing the state line.

Don't gobble at me
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
if they do head north and get anywhere near the border, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear that the CDOW&P would fly a heli up there and try to haze 'em back south.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Too bad that the powers that be can't understand that now that this country is populated by human beings wolves should be relagated to the status of the dinosaur, extinct . When you protect the takers in favor of the providers you are setting the stage for disaster for wildlife.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
Too bad that the powers that be can't understand that now that this country is populated by human beings wolves should be relagated to the status of the dinosaur, extinct . When you protect the takers in favor of the providers you are setting the stage for disaster for wildlife.

The ""real powers that be"" have a plan for the two legged variety , that plan is to lower the world population by 90%. Read up on it and I'll send you a tinfoil hat.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Colorado officials and everyone else who sustained the re-introduction of wolves in their state THIS way must be out of their minds.

Look at Germany. The where wolves were definetly extinct.

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal-facts/mammals/wolves-germany

According to the German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation (BfN), 158 wolf packs, 27 pairs and 20 solitary animals were confirmed in Germany in the last monitoring year. In total, the population could number about 1,200 wolves. Nobody knows the exact number as these wide-ranging and secretive animals cannot be counted individually, and pack size can fluctuate between five and ten animals over the course of a year, but the number of territories is well known, so these figures are still good and as accurate as they can be based on scientific monitoring data.

The Federal Departement of Environment states 1.339 wolves in Germany.

For comparison:

The estimated wolf population for 2022 was 1,087 wolves, according to Fish, Wildlife, and Parks. This number is down 56 wolves from 1,143 in 2021. The number of wolf packs was 181, down 10 packs from 2021. Total wolf kills for the spring and fall of calendar year 2022 were 248.

Below a chart showing the number of wolf attacks (black) and the number of killed or injured livestock (grey)

[Linked Image from dbb-wolf.de]

Montana:
Wildlife Services (WS) confirmed the loss of 96 livestock to wolves during 2021, including 67 cattle and
29 sheep; and 3 livestock guard dogs were also killed by wolves (Fig. 1). This total was similar to
numbers during 2011-2020.

Elmer Keith
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,764
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.