Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
EJ was one of my father's heroes and when we lived in Plattsburgh, NY in '71 we ran across his place in Ogdensburg. He invited me to stay with him for a week and learn about fur handling and to help with his trap line.

He had been writing for FFG for many decades at that point and was reduced to a crusty old chain-smoking geezer. I liked the guy. He made a lot of sense when it came to trapping. For instance, I had a huge desire to trap a mink. He pointed out that I would catch plenty of mink just as soon as I trapped where there were lots of mink. Nothing tough about it. He was exactly right.

For the week I trapped with him I worked my butt off in the afternoons skinning and stretching fur, but rode around in EJ's old truck checking traps from daylight to noon or so. We caught foxes, coon, skunks, 'rats and mink. Seems beaver and otter were not legal there then and we did not catch any.

When my father came to pick me up EJ had just received a new office chair. His old oak, swivel, office chair was tossed outside. My father asked for and received the old chair "Yeah, take that old piece of crap!"

EJ said he wrote everything he ever wrote from that chair from his start (in the '20s I believe) to that day. My father restored the old chair and wrote from it himself from then until his death in '98. When EJ died my father wrote his obit in FFG... and considered it a high point.

Yesterday my mother gave me EJ's chair. Have not picked it up yet, but hope to see the quality of my writing improving soon!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are a very ;lucky man! I'm sure you consider it an honor to receive something that is really a keepsake> Hopefully you will be able to pass the chair down to your son.
I'm betting your writing will improve sustaintally!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you ever get over to O. L. Butcher's place?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Never did... But remember much of his fox trapping stories and such...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where is that chair?
You need a place to store it/someone to pick it up? wink
That's one neat piece of history there mr sitka deer.
and you be one blessed fella for getting to spend that week rootin in the Champlain Valley w/EJ.

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a side...I met Liz Greene at a social yesterday.
Her hubby Don was a noted bobcat hunter in VT,and wrote a small book on the subject.I believe she's going to mail me a copy of the book.Will follow up on that.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The chair is here in town at my mother's house... No need to store it anywhere, but thanks for the offer!

Don Greene rings a small bell, but it may just be my imagination.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was able to obtain 2 pictures of Don.First is 250 lb Black Bear #19,70 yrs old,1991....
[Linked Image]
Next was taken in the 60's.Don is 2nd from left.Bennington VT...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The good old days! smile

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Sitka,

May your writing equal that of EJ's!

EJ, OL, Walt Arnold, VE Lynch and Bill Nelson were my heros growing up in the late 60's and early 70's. I still have quite a few of their books, some no doubt stained with logwood crystals.

Ed T

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
With you on the logwood... Remember them well... wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Art,

That's a very cool piece of history that you have there! Cool memories too.

We used to read FF& G all the time. I trapped a bit, and one of my younger brothers ran a line for years. While we have not trapped for decades, I still read FF&G now and then.

Chris

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As kids in the early 60's we worshipped a few untamed old-timers (probably in their 30's) who at that time lived by trapping, sturgeon fishing, dock-building, etc. When one of those guys asked if we wanted to ride over to "EJ"'s place to get supplies or because a fur buyer was going to be there we jumped at the chance. It was great to hang around all those hard-living, soft-spoken men who seemed to gather there. EJ would be bouncing all over the place like a banty rooster, talking to people, getting out goods for customers, always had time for us kids. As we got older, with drivers' licenses and girlfriends, we'd often drive over after school. Most girlfriends waited out in the car after their first trip (and their first whiff of the inside of EJ's building. We didn't have a lot of cash for or exposure to magazines in those days, unless they were at the barber shop. I'll never forget the time a Fur Fish and Game came our way and whoever was reading it suddenly looked up and said, "Look at this, EJ must be the one writing this question and answer column in this magazine." We finally figured out what he was doing when we'd come in and find him pecking away at the old typewriter. He would have been sitting in the chair you got. Gotta love the prose. I still can't pot a grouse, squirrel, coon or whatever with a .22 pistol without the words "..where he fell easy prey to my belt gun..." running through my mind.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That would be a phrase straight from EJ... In '71 he had to be quite a lot older than his 40s though... He died around '74 and I would guess he was close to 70. He seemed very old to me, but perspective is most everything and I was 16.

Somehow seems they were better days, doesn't it?
art

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Every now and then a guy gets lucky and accidentally stumbles across a thread like this. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Where he fell easy prey to my belt gun" makes me want my Bearcat back and to load my packbasket and run a muskrat line again. One hasn't really lived until he has snapped a #1 Victor longspring on cold fingers. (Hey, I was 12)

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
great thread i lived for years in bennington vt. trying to remember name of dealer who bought fur sold lure and i think did some writing he lived in ny state maybe in cambridge, petersberg ? have crs anyone know who i'am thinking of ? thanks Ed in idaho

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What years?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1959 to 1981

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You're not thinking of Paul Grimshaw up around Champlain?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.