Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
LAS, have you ridden that 600 Ace Expedition yet?

I need to get me one of those storage boxes for my Tundra and possibly a ski widening kit.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice rig T, and dang, nice rig Las.

T, you'll be after some wider skis in no time. But I don't think you'll need to widen the stance. The aftermarket skis should help.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman
LAS, have you ridden that 600 Ace Expedition yet?

I need to get me one of those storage boxes for my Tundra and possibly a ski widening kit.

I bought my first (and probably last, unless I wreck it) snowmobile when I moved to Montana. 2020 Expedition Sport with the 600 ACE engine. My cabin is usually only accessible by snowmobile from around late November through March, so I use it to get to the cabin, haul stuff to the cabin, haul game away from the cabin. I also like to head into the mountains just to cruise around, so it's been perfect for that. Very quiet, pretty efficient and has just enough power to get me where I need to go without getting me in trouble.

Only complaint I have about it is that I am prone to getting it stuck, which is likely more due to my lack of skill than anything about the sled, which is not made for blasting around in deep snow.

I was going to replace the Skidoo 21l tunnel bag with one of the huge Skidoo cargo trunks but decided to go cheap and have a Plano tub that works pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Skins will give you some float and stop the diving in the powder if that's what you are seeing. Widening will kill the beauty of the tundra, which is effortless sidehilliing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Different perspectives or maybe riding styles, I guess.

I have found Tundras to be among the worst for side hilling, due to their narrow stance. You have to lean WAY more than you do with a wider stanced machine. The ski widening kit on my Summit made a huge difference and even stock it was significantly better at side hilling than this Tundra is. I layed the Tundra over on Saturday on a side hill simply because I wasn’t paying attention and didn’t lean enough on the uphill side and it wasn’t very steep at all. I may try wider skis and a deeper skag first before I go for a wider ski stance as I think the widening kit also raises the center of gravity. I’ll talk to the dealer about those ups/downs.

To me, the beauty of the Tundra and the reason I went with it was maneuverability in tight areas, again due to its narrow profile, though it is longer than I would prefer which doesn’t help with tight spaces.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Posted pictures in another thread but here’s mine. Expedition SWT with 900ace R turbo. I’m the last one in my group to finally get one. These are the ultimate winter hunting sleds. We been trying to make the Rex trail muzzleloader hunt an annual trip. Hopefully the two rivers we need to cross on the Rex trail are frozen.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Different perspectives or maybe riding styles, I guess.

I have found Tundras to be among the worst for side hilling, due to their narrow stance. You have to lean WAY more than you do with a wider stanced machine. The ski widening kit on my Summit made a huge difference and even stock it was significantly better at side hilling than this Tundra is. I layed the Tundra over on Saturday on a side hill simply because I wasn’t paying attention and didn’t lean enough on the uphill side and it wasn’t very steep at all. I may try wider skis and a deeper skag first before I go for a wider ski stance as I think the widening kit also raises the center of gravity. I’ll talk to the dealer about those ups/downs.

To me, the beauty of the Tundra and the reason I went with it was maneuverability in tight areas, again due to its narrow profile, though it is longer than I would prefer which doesn’t help with tight spaces.

Nothing creeps through the trees better than a Tundra! Beware the widner kit, it changes the angle of attack on the track quite a bit. Some folks dont have an issue with it but those folks don't seem to break alot of trail. Mostly just trail riders.

I trap up north quite a ways in the snow shadow of the Brooks and a SWT makes a big difference when its time to break trail. I like the skandic over the expedition myself. Pogos ride circles around A arms when then snow gets deep. Every time...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Posted pictures in another thread but here’s mine. Expedition SWT with 900ace R turbo.
[Linked Image]

Sweet sled 79S!! That'll be a ball with all that track and 180hp on tap! It'll probably dangle the skis as far as you dare!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The ergonomics of the newer sleds are better for old backs and knees. I am looking for a ski-doo expedition myself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Nice rig T, and dang, nice rig Las.

T, you'll be after some wider skis in no time. But I don't think you'll need to widen the stance. The aftermarket skis should help.

Yep, new skis & you'll be golden Ted !

LOL, get a tundra they said, you'll never get stuck !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Seriously, they are great !

Joe's 2010 550f (yellow) with big skins.

Mine's the black 09 550f !

Box is a great addition.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess yammy quit the snowmobile industry. Back in the 80's, I was in awe of anything that said "YAMAHA". My uncle was dominating informal races/hill climbs on a yz 250.

My first sled was snojet powered by a yamaha 440 fan cooled twin with a powerblok clutch.

Still some old 90s yammy stuff working hard around here. Goodbye yamaha.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 11/23/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yamaha isn't done with sleds till the 2025 model year. You have time to get a brand new SRX if you so chose. I would expect their deal with Arctic Cat to last past this though.

I too am a Yamaha slut and when shopping powersports - I start and end with them.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If the bearcat had evolved alongside the tundra it could be an amazing machine now. As it is, Yamaha hasn't made anything that appealed to me in a snowmachine for a long time. And I'm also a big Yamaha fan.

Actually.... I take that back.... Forgot about the viking!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
T,
Congrats on the tundra! Yep, I've ran plenty of heavy wide track loads in low gear. But a day in day out, general purpose woods bomber for breaking trail/trapping/firewood/hauling milled slabs, a smaller sled is the way. Widetracks arent "flickable" in tight off trail stuff. They're quite cumbersome in tight sht. Always try to jump on a small sled first, they use lots less fuel.

Hard to do better than a 600 ace tundra.

If you're freighting out materials to build a remote cabin, the widetracks come into their own. Aside from that, tough to 600 ace Tundra for all around trail use. It's on my list when I trade out the sand for the snow.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
How much longer is your sentence?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The older carbureted 550 fan motor is hard on fuel but very reliable. Comes with electric start and a pull start as well. Regular track or long track in the older tundras.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The new 2024 tundra LE in 600efi, very light and plenty of horsepower. Still in breakin mode, but preliminary fuel use is 15gph. The LE is a 16” X 154 long track

Last edited by pipercub; 12/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much for an electric one?

The Dems are wanting to stop drilling up there!

I am just your average Joe.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I haven't been back to this thread in awhile. Yes, I've driven the new Expedition Sport 600 ACE 3 times now. It's bigger than either of us thought it would be.

My wife let me back it off the trailer twice, and put it on once....... smile

I need to figure a sled connection for the hitch - the hitch hole is smaller than the one on the Turbo, so ththat clevis doesn't fit. Just in case we need to tow with it.

We went into our rec cabin for 4 days a couple weeks back - two sled loads, both in and out, for 4 friggen days. I had a tool box.... I remember those 10 day back-pack hunts with a 50 lb load. What the hell happened????

First load out...

She likes it much better than the 2012 AC 1100 Turbo. Lighter, quieter, and has a removable seat for the dog(or someone) behind her, plus the cargo box. She has tipped it twice, and able to put it back upright by herself. I like it because it is fan cooled. The Turbo apparently is now mine. A bit of an upgrade from the '93 Bravo, but I ain't selling that. The Turbo doesn't go any faster than the Bravo. Well, it does, but I don't! I can if I want to tho. smile

The Exp. only has about 15 miles on it, on trail, so far tho.

Last edited by las; 12/19/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You got a lot more comfortable!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 60 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.