Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18944527 11/21/23
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I’m thinking of getting a Dillon press. I was thinking that with the holidays coming up there may be a chance to find a deal from them. Since they are at or near the top of the chain in reloading has anyone ever seen them to have deals or holiday packages? If not I’ll likely go ahead and order one.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You might watch places that sell them for a deal, Scheel's and Double Alpha Academy will probably run black friday sales.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What model are you wanting?
I would suggest a 750. Maybe some will disagree but Im not a fan of the 550 for loading small cartridges. I have had 3 550’s and 4 650’s and a square deal. All at the same time, long story. My issue with the 550 is a chance to double charge a case. After loading on all three, Im definitely a 650/750 guy. I have loaded on a 1050 and do like that press although I have no experience changing setups or fixing issues. Im down to a 650 and a 900 shotgun press

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I first started reloading, one could get a Dillon 550 - press only - for $248.

I chose a Rock Chucker because it could be had for less than half the price. I still have the Rock Chucker. It's a fine press. I will outlast me. However, hindsight being 20/20 - I whished I had bought a Dillon.

Every time a Democrat is in office - there is a RUN of Dillon Presses, Dies, and Accessories. Last year I priced a Dillon 750 - they were back ordered 12-15 months.

Long story short - If you want a Dillon - get one when you can find one. I assure you - next year - they won't be cheaper.

Buy once - cry once.

GB

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 550 and don't see how a double charge could result?

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am with the 550 club.

After loading for over 50 years with 3 colors of loaders I vote Dillon 550.

What I like is that I can run one shell at a time and I can feel if there is any interference or difficulty, especially when setting up.

What I meant to say if you double charge one, it's your own fault, some people can do that with a loading block one at time on a single stage press.

Moral of the story is : Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't load if you can't focus on the job.

I just take my time 200 to 400 per hour and enjoy myself.

Last edited by mulespurs; 11/23/23. Reason: mistake
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IZH27
I’m thinking of getting a Dillon press. I was thinking that with the holidays coming up there may be a chance to find a deal from them. Since they are at or near the top of the chain in reloading has anyone ever seen them to have deals or holiday packages? If not I’ll likely go ahead and order one.

Good luck. I will say this, if you decide whatever Dillon you get is not working for you it will be easy to sell with little loss.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mulespurs
I am with the 550 club.

After loading for over 50 years with 3 colors of loaders I vote Dillon 550.

What I like is that I can run one shell at a time and I can feel if there is any interference or difficulty, especially when setting up.

What I meant to say if you double charge one, it's your own fault, some people can do that with a loading block one at time on a single stage press.

Moral of the story is : Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't load if you can't focus on the job.

I just take my time 200 to 400 per hour and enjoy myself.

I have a 550b
I have only used RCBS single stage presses before I purchased my Dillon so I have no knowledge of any other presses to compare it with.

I wanted to get the 650 and when I talked to Dillon about my needs they told me that the 550b would be a better fit for me.

What Company talks someone out of purchasing a less expensive product when they are looking at a more expensive product form that company.

I had an issue with the primer feed.
Dillon sent me an entire new system and when I found out that the problem was how I set the system up.I contacted Dillon to see what they wanted me to do to return the replacement system they sent to me .

They told me no I did not need to send it back.

I then offered to pay for the replacement system and they told me
No need.

What kind of company stands behind their product like that.

My Dillon 550b was one of the best products that I have ever purchased and I would not hesitate to purchase another press from them if and when I need another.

I purchase Dillon Dies when they have them in the caliber that I want what ever the cost.

Dillon backs their products very very well.

Last edited by funshooter; 11/26/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my Dillon, a 450, 30 to 40 years ago. I don't know the difference between it and a 550. I load 4 pistol cartridges and my .223 and .308 rifle cartridges on it, which is about 1,000 shells a year, which fills my needs perfectly.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you are just starting with a Dillon, suggest you just get a 550, it is the closest thing in simplicity and cost of change over, to having a single stage in a Dillon progressive. Were it me, if I could get one on the way, today, I would go on and get one coming. You can not go wrong if starting out with a Dillon to get a 550b or c. They are the #1 selling Dillon for a reason.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 750 is far superior to the 550. If you're loading handgun ammunition at all, don't waste time with the 550.

Last edited by drop_point; 12/11/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The more progressive the press gets the more issues. They all have a rythym they like to operate at. Tend to take some breaking in or disassembly and polishing of critical parts . Have run dillons for over 30 years. Would consider the 550 a very good fit for most. Bought a 650 one time from a guy that had it so jacked up there was no way he loaded anything with that press. If getting and keeping a progressive press tuned and running smoothly is a challenge then keep the progressive press a somewhat simple model.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by foogle
The more progressive the press gets the more issues. They all have a rythym they like to operate at. Tend to take some breaking in or disassembly and polishing of critical parts . Have run dillons for over 30 years. Would consider the 550 a very good fit for most. Bought a 650 one time from a guy that had it so jacked up there was no way he loaded anything with that press. If getting and keeping a progressive press tuned and running smoothly is a challenge then keep the progressive press a somewhat simple model.

Have you seen the number of people running a Mark 7 Autodrive on the 750? Its really an easy press.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The 550 is a great press to build double-charges with - an auto indexing progressive is better. Machines don't have senior moments.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You can update your 450 to a 550 with Dillon parts......Cal "em"............I f you are happy with your 450......Keep on truckin.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I run 3 dillon 650's and they are not a complicated press. They also do not just randomly go out of adjustment. I have used other progressive presses and they do have issues with being hard to adjust and just randomly going out of adjustment or jumping time, not my dillon's. If I have a problem on one of them it is more likely a component issue than a machine issue. I load only pistol rounds but I load a bunch of them. Once I have the dies set where I want them all I have to do is pull the handle and keep the components full. A 550 is a good machine. I had one of them once and sold it because I liked my 650's much better.

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Apologies for losing track of this thread. Thanks for all of the feed back. Will be making a final decision after the first of the year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you make the buy?

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have an XL650 and wouldn’t want anything less!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I have a 550 and don't see how a double charge could result?
Load handgun case that 2 charges will fit. Pull the handle twice with out advancing. It can happen, When I had 550’s I purposely tried it. No I didn’t shoot it. But I figured if someone walked away from the loader and pulled that handle with out checking it would/could happen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.