-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had two 44 mags. Feeding was fine and accuracy was acceptable. The triggers were stiff though

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I had to send the 45 Colt in... straight out of the box it couldn't consistently hit a paper plate at 50yds.

The 30-30 was around a 5"@100 rifle at its best. My Dad actually has that one as a safe queen. It has a big loop lever and really pretty wood, so he traded me a 357 for it.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Pinnah
Originally Posted by Chapoosa
I always felt like I’m pretty knowledgeable about guns and stuff. Growing up reading Gun bibles and listening to old men and such. But I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for, maybe it’s a golden egg lol. I love to tote my dads old Model 94 “it’s a 1981 model” but my eyes don’t like the iron sights. I don’t like the Side mount scope stuff, and just to be plain honest, 30-30 isn’t my favorite caliber. But I absolutely love the way that rifle totes and balances. What would be a close second to that rifle in the way it’s built that would come in a short action caliber of some sort. Don’t have to be a lever action by no means, just something that balances like it and is narrow built. I assume a BLR would be close, but not the same. I tote a Rem. Model 7 a lot cause I like the way it handles as well. Just getting yalls opinions on it mainly. And before you start cutting me down on yhe 30-30, it’s a good caliber for what it is, just not my favorite is all. I know your paw paw and his kin killed 7274 deer with em over the years, But still. 😁😁

What part of the country do you hunt in and what is a typical shot? 50 yds? 100? 200? More?

How do you hunt? Still hunting and tracking in the woods? Sitting in a tree stand in the woods. Sitting in a blind along a field? Hiking and spotting in the western high country?

What would be your ideal cartridge? .308? .243? Without trying to defend the 30-30, I'd be curious what aspect of "more" you're interested in? More range? More accuracy? Flatter trajectory? Faster kills?

East central Alabama. 150 yards and under when I tote the 94. I use my bolt actions o out to 300 plus yards around the farm. I stalk hunt mainly with the model 94. What I’ll probably wind up doing is going to the eye doctor and get some glasses. I need to anyway, and get some fiber optic sights and keep on trucking lol.

Last edited by Chapoosa; 11/22/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I found the handles close to the 94 is the Marlin 1895G Guide gun

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
East central Alabama. 150 yards and under when I tote the 94. I use my bolt actions o out to 300 plus yards around the farm. I stalk hunt mainly with the model 94. What I’ll probably wind up doing is going to the eye doctor and get some glasses. I need to anyway, and get some fiber optic sights and keep on trucking lol.

I think there are three different issues that interrelated but worth thinking about separately.

First, aging eyes suck. Ask me how I know. I've owned a handful of bolt guns and lever guns with iron sights of various sorts. IMO, in increasing order in terms of working with aging eyes:
  • Open sights
  • Receiver mounted peep sights
  • Tang mounted peep sights
  • Red dot sights
  • Scope

I had a Swedish Mauser for a bit. Couldn't see the sights. At. All. Put a no drill scout scope on it and could see again.

I have 2 Win94s (both in 32Wsp). I used to be able to see standard irons on the. But really struggle with them. My grandfather's gun has Lyman No 1 tang sight and I can see great with it. But I wouldn't use it for tracking as it's frail when up and too clumsy for quick shots. I put a Williams FP receiver sight and their FireEye fiber optic front sight. Not as clear in certain light and I need to swap apertures through the day. But a lot more durable. Eventually, my newer 94 will get an XS scout rail for use with a red dot or scout scope. I'll leave the FP/FireEye on as a back up.

I've played with scout scopes on both my Mauser and my 94 and they don't. Wreck the handling as muc as a traditional scope. And while I shoot in offhand matches with normal scopes, I struggle to shoot off hand for tracking hunting with a scope. I'm much better making quick shots with peep sights.

All of this to say, I would suggest thinking about sights and optics for your stalking gun; whether it be a lever or bolt gun.

Second issue is which cartridge. Not defending the the 30-30 (or 32WSP) but I think they're perfectly adequate out to 150 yds. And TBH, that's beyond what I can do off hand making quick shots and well beyond the distance I see deer when stalking. If I had to replace it with a none lever round, I go back to the 6.5 out of old times sake and would only use a .308 if I downloaded it a bit. It's more than I want for a stalking gun.

Third issue is how the different platforms match their cartridges. The 94 started its life as a pistol caliber 92. When JMB shoved that 30-30 into it, that same stock design that comes up to the shoulder so easily also flips up under recoil. I often punch myself in the nose with mine. In this way, I wouldn't want anything more than a 30-30 in a 94.

The only options that I can think of would be a carbine pump or bolt. Personally, I would go with a 6.5x55 or 7mm-08 carbine, but finding them is hard.

Sorry for the stupid long post. Hope something here helps with your search.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by K1500
Halfway through reading your post I was going to suggest a Remington Model 7. To be honest, I’m not sure there is much else that feels like a 94. Maybe look into a forward mount red dot. I’ve always thought the 7-30 Waters looked like a neat chambering for the 94.

There isn't anything else that feels or handles like a 94
I know it's blasphemy, but I always thought the 94 felt too much like a bb gun. I don't have enormous hands, but it just never felt "solid" the way a 336 or even a m92 does. I know, I know...

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Pinnah

I think there are three different issues that interrelated but worth thinking about separately.

First, aging eyes suck. Ask me how I know. I've owned a handful of bolt guns and lever guns with iron sights of various sorts. IMO, in increasing order in terms of working with aging eyes:
  • Open sights
  • Receiver mounted peep sights
  • Tang mounted peep sights
  • Red dot sights
  • Scope

I had a Swedish Mauser for a bit. Couldn't see the sights. At. All. Put a no drill scout scope on it and could see again.

I have 2 Win94s (both in 32Wsp). I used to be able to see standard irons on the. But really struggle with them. My grandfather's gun has Lyman No 1 tang sight and I can see great with it. But I wouldn't use it for tracking as it's frail when up and too clumsy for quick shots. I put a Williams FP receiver sight and their FireEye fiber optic front sight. Not as clear in certain light and I need to swap apertures through the day. But a lot more durable. Eventually, my newer 94 will get an XS scout rail for use with a red dot or scout scope. I'll leave the FP/FireEye on as a back up.

I've played with scout scopes on both my Mauser and my 94 and they don't. Wreck the handling as muc as a traditional scope. And while I shoot in offhand matches with normal scopes, I struggle to shoot off hand for tracking hunting with a scope. I'm much better making quick shots with peep sights.

All of this to say, I would suggest thinking about sights and optics for your stalking gun; whether it be a lever or bolt gun.

Second issue is which cartridge. Not defending the the 30-30 (or 32WSP) but I think they're perfectly adequate out to 150 yds. And TBH, that's beyond what I can do off hand making quick shots and well beyond the distance I see deer when stalking. If I had to replace it with a none lever round, I go back to the 6.5 out of old times sake and would only use a .308 if I downloaded it a bit. It's more than I want for a stalking gun.

Third issue is how the different platforms match their cartridges. The 94 started its life as a pistol caliber 92. When JMB shoved that 30-30 into it, that same stock design that comes up to the shoulder so easily also flips up under recoil. I often punch myself in the nose with mine. In this way, I wouldn't want anything more than a 30-30 in a 94.

The only options that I can think of would be a carbine pump or bolt. Personally, I would go with a 6.5x55 or 7mm-08 carbine, but finding them is hard.

Sorry for the stupid long post. Hope something here helps with your search.

Thanks for the advice and info. I’ll take heed to it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Winchester 94 remains a classic. Everyone seems to have owned one. I am not a fan of the 30-30 yet when I see them on a rack, I get the urge. The gun has sold the cartridge.
I can't stay away from lever guns. I suspect there is a reason I still have a box of Winchester 170 grain ammo in the safe...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just get you a BLR in whatever caliber you want and be done with it. Send it to Neil Jones for a trigger job if you can't live with the factory trigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Just get you a BLR in whatever caliber you want and be done with it. Send it to Neil Jones for a trigger job if you can't live with the factory trigger.

If you love the handling and feel of a model 94, you won't like a BLR much

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
couple of years ago i gave my son a Browning BLR S.S. 308 WIN. with a 3X9 Leupold ,son loves to carry that rifle with barrel pointed down with sling over his left shoulder and he has that rifle up on his right shoulder very fast when in the woods hunting, plus this BLR is very accurate , we did fix the trigger in it also. these BLR rifles have a magazine / clip so you don`t have to ieect every shell or have the bullet points messed up. son has shot a couple of nice bucks with this handi little rifle .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

If you love the handling and feel of a model 94, you won't like a BLR much

Got to disagree . Have both and love them both. If I could afford it I would buy a steel 81 BLR in .243 and build a .260 on it to cover any long range hunting in Alabama. My .358 is perfect for the hunting I do in North Alabama and Southern Middle Tennessee . A short Savage 99 would also work very well in one of the lighter models in a caliber with enough reach to suit you.

As far as the Henry's , Ugly and ungainly feeling compared to Winchester , Marlin , Browning or Savages.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm perfectly comfortable with the .30-30 to 200 yards. If I'll be hunting someplace where longer reach may be needed I'll take one of my bolt guns. I don't get the alure of a BLR. It's not really a lever action, more of an ugly, quasi lever operated bolt action with a poor trigger and balance.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Picking the right gun is a personal thing. All about what feels good in your hand, where you hunt, how you hunt, distances of shots…. Caliber plays into the equation and why you have more than one.. 😉(Like pick the right gulf club for the shot).

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Once you have used an original Smokeless Steel, Marlin Safety 1893 you will leave the '94 Win at home. From 32-40 to 45-70, a slender, light hunters gun, years ahead of Oliver Winchester.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I put a NECG aperture rear sight on a Ruger No. 1 RSI in 7x57 and carried it up and down all kinds of terrain on a deer/elk hunt about 15 years ago. Never got a shot, but that was the easiest carrying rifle I ever hunted with and reminded me of carrying a 94 since you carry these by the receiver. I later put a 2x7 Leupold VX2 on it and took deer with it. It is still a joy to carry with the scope, but not quite as 94-like. The No. 1A is also sweet to carry and handles fast - one of those with a peep would be similar to the RSI setup I used. I may have to try that myself.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I'll say it as long as no one has. Keep searching gun broker etc for a M94 carbine in 30x30 Angle Eject model put a 1x4 or 1x6 on it or a 3x scope just set and forget trim simple scope if your eyes are bad enough that barrel irons don't work pole vault right into a simple scope there will be a world of improvement. Screw stupid side mounts that offset the scope. You asked and I told you. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had a couple pre-64 model 94’s. I can’t say there’s any other rifle that handles as well. I sold both. They didn’t fit my hunting style.
I have a couple Savage 99’s.
I have a few 336’s, a Marlin 1894 and a 1895.
I have a 1886 and a 1892.
I’ve had a BLR.
As to which one is best??? I imagine that depends a lot on what they’re used for.

The BLR was accurate and was chambered for a fine cartridge - 358 Win. It was an early BLR, I could not live with the magazine. That cartridge, in my opinion, was good to go in my opinion, through elk size game. I sold it and barreled a short action 700 for the cartridge.
My 336’s are more accurate than the 94’s I had.
The 99’s makes a lot of sense for me. One is a 250 and the other is a 300. The 300 has killed more game than any other lever gun of mine. Its good to go, I think, for shooting game in open areas and in close in areas. Plenty of power for deer. Maybe elk, though I wouldn’t grab it if I were elk hunting.
I’ve hunted in upper New York State and in the Ozarks in Missouri. I think the 94 or a 336 would be great for deer hunting there, at least where I was hunting.
If I were to grab a lever gun and hunt elk in the mountains the choices I’d go with are: BLR or Henry. If I were to fish the rivers of Alaska and wanted bear protection it would be a 1895 Marlin or maybe a 1886.
If I were hunting rabbits it would be the 1892 or a Marlin 1894. I really like the 1892.

It all depends…

Last edited by Bugger; 01/20/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Once you have used an original Smokeless Steel, Marlin Safety 1893 you will leave the '94 Win at home. From 32-40 to 45-70, a slender, light hunters gun, years ahead of Oliver Winchester.

I had an 1893 and still preferred the Winchester. And the 1893 never came in 45-70

Last edited by moosemike; 01/20/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I forgot. I still have a 375 in a 94 and a 348 in 71. I’ll keep them.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.