Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi Mule Deer and all others. Does anyone know of any actual brown/grizzly bear kills from approximately 40-50 years ago to 2023? This is a subject of 30-06 vs .270 Win ability to kill browns and grizzly bears that has been argued for almost one hundred years. Does anyone have any stories about .270 Win kills on the BIG
bears? Jack O'Connor killed two grizzly bears if memory is correct.
Also, Charles Sheldon back around 1900 to early 1920s, killed approximately 80 grizzly and brown bears with a 160gr 6.5 manlicher schoenaur rifle. Hmmmm!

Roanmtn (Roan Mountain, TN)

Last edited by roanmtn; 11/21/23. Reason: Add more information.

Glenn Campbell
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You should ask Phil Shoemaker, 458Win on the Campfire, who's guided for brown bears for almost 50 years. Some of his clients have used .270s and .30-06s, which is OK with Phil.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks John! Keep the great stories coming.

Glenn Campbell
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I shot one that weighed about 350lbs 27 years ago on the Hunt river near Ambler with a Remington 788 22-250. I ended up killing it with the first shot at about 150 yards with a neck shot. They are much smaller than the bears where Phil is at. Tyler Freel shot a huge interior Grizzly this Spring with a 6.5 Creedmoor. I had students kill one while I was up in Ambler with three 10/22 ruger rifles in 22LR. They shot the bear about 40-50 times. Heimo Korth has shot probably north of 40 Grizzlies with a 22-250 in another Remington 788. He prefers a Slug gun today. I killed another grizzly DLP with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag when I was 18 years old fishing on the Tonsina River. It had been injured with an illegal snare and was in bad shape. I like bigger caliber rifles now. People have killed bears with 250-3000 and even 32-40s and believe it or not 25-20s.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I killed a Caucasian brown bear in Russia with a .270 Wby shooting 150 gr. Bergers a few years ago. Stoned him dead, didn't even twitch from about 200 yards. But they're not real big.

Last edited by talentrec; 11/21/23.
IC B2

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Wow! I am not believing someone didn't get badly hurt/killed with the smaller calibers. My experience tells me shot placement is the real deal here. In our modern times Mule Deer has told us about shot placement results. Thanks for your reply.

Glenn Campbell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My dad shot a grizzly with his 7 Saum when I lived in AK. It’s more or less a short action 280 performance wise. 150gr Partition from 150 yards or so.

I know another guy who killed a nice peninsula brown bear with his 280. 8.5 footer.

Visited with many villagers who had cell phone pics of grizzlies and polar bears they’d slewn with various rifles, mostly 222s and 223s with the Mini14 being fairly popular.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
My dad shot a grizzly with his 7 Saum when I lived in AK. It’s more or less a short action 280 performance wise. 150gr Partition from 150 yards or so.

I know another guy who killed a nice peninsula brown bear with his 280. 8.5 footer.

Visited with many villagers who had cell phone pics of grizzlies and polar bears they’d slewn with various rifles, mostly 222s and 223s with the Mini14 being fairly popular.

Villagers aren’t dropping $20K +, plus travel and miscellaneous expenses for a hunt!

There’s no doubt that most any animal on Terra-Firma can be killed with a 22 Hornet…..but probably not prudent…..nor legal in many places. If it’s my hard earned money, I want to kill my bear…..not have the guide kill “my” bear! My photo, shown with a light rifle, posed with a bear killed by someone else…..ain’t how I want to spend my money! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/21/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And where in the OP does he state grizzlies killed on an expensive guided hunt?

There are way more bears killed as incidentals when moose, caribou, or sheep hunting by residents each year than guided hunters kill. Scores more killed with whatever is handy in the boat or snow machine by rural dwellers. A huge percentage of the time the rifle employed will not be some giant magnum.

And in AK there are no caliber restrictions.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
These are always weird threads. But I know of a Pre 64 Model 70 270 WCF that has likely taken over 50 Grizzly Bears in its lifetime. Successfully.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Jake Korrel killed both the full body mounted Grizzle and the full body mounted Buffalo in the Riverton Museum with his 270.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I moose hunted in Alberta and the oufitter's camp rifle, a Marlin .30-30 had accounted for 11 problem grizzlies in camp over about 20 years

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder how many Russian/Asian brown bears have been killed with lowly SKS's.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A younger brother has killed two Alberta grizzlies with a .270 Winchester with ammo I loaded for him. Winchester cases, Winchester primers, 54 grains of IMR4350, and 130 grain Hornady SP. This was some years ago so it may have been before the InterLock was introduced.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
roanmtn,

One reason I suggested Phil Shoemaker is that he's guided not only clients with .270s, but many who used the .30-06, and the brown bears in his hunting area get very big.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
. ..and let's not forget that Phil killed a brownie with a puny little ol' 9mm pistol.

Seems like with good shot placement and the right bullets that not much else matters.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If a .22 can kill a GIANT Grizzly, then a .30-06 will kill them way faster!

Bella Twin was a calm, quiet, clear-headed Cree woman with a trap line. May 10, 1957, she killed a massive grizzly bear with her Cooey Ace #1 . 22. That was near Slave Lake, Alberta, and the bear Twin killed turned out to be a world record that stood for a good long time.

This bear was killed 2 hours from my home in Alberta, with her teensy-weensy .22

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/21/23.

KB

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I used to watch films of Gordon Eastman hunting in Alaska and Canada's NW Territory. IIRC his son shot a brown bear with a 270win in one of the films.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KillerBee
If a .22 can kill a GIANT Grizzly, then a .30-06 will kill them way faster!

Bella Twin was a calm, quiet, clear-headed Cree woman with a trap line. May 10, 1957, she killed a massive grizzly bear with her Cooey Ace #1 . 22. That was near Slave Lake, Alberta, and the bear Twin killed turned out to be a world record that stood for a good long time.

This bear was killed 2 hours from my home in Alberta, with her teensy-weensy .22

I believe it was shot with .22 longs not even long rifles. She was grouse hunting at the time. One shot to the head and down. Walked up to it and shot it several more times in the head just to make sure.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, she used Longs--and shot the bear in the head with the rest of the rounds she had to make sure.

My father, who grew up partly on a central Montana homestead during the Great Depression, was also a believer in Longs, because they looked just as long as Long Rifles. He always thought I was nuts for spending the extra money for Long Rifles with my paper-route money.....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that you and Eileen are well tonight.

Thanks for the chuckle, I know you've mentioned that before and so help me I recall at least a couple times having a similar conversation with my late father.

Dad liked shorts in his Cooey 39 which was the same action as Bella Twin's Ace, but the 39 was just a wee bit longer barrel and bigger stock.

His one regret buying me a Lakefield Mossberg Mk II bolt action repeater was that it only fed long rifle ammo properly so his beloved shorts were out.

That was likely okay though as both longs and shorts became harder to get into the early '70's.

If anyone wants to read up about the rifle and CIL Whiz Bang Longs used, here's a link.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/

Thanks again for twigging some pleasant memories from long, long ago John.

All the best to you both this Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
roanmtn;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day behaved down in your part of the world and you're well.

For sure hopefully Phil looks in and gives some input as he's likely seen more bears cross over the great divide than any three other people I can think of.

As to your question, I knew a couple of fellows who were shooting mentors that grew up in the Kootenays back when bears could still be hunted and problem bears were just "dealt with" who shot at least a handful of grizzly each with a .270.

While I can't say this for certain, there might be a difference between shooting a garden or stock raiding bear and taking one up on the mountain - or not, I just don't know.

There was another Kootenay grizzly in a taxidermy shop that belonged to a father and son who were personal friends that died with a 180gr Sierra out of a .308 lever rifle, but so help me I can't say for certain if it was a 99 or an 88 now, that detail has slipped away.

Lastly and I'm cognizant it's not a .270, but a hunting mentor of mine who was a small farmer in the Peace Country during the Depression shot everything that needed shooting with a 95 in .30-40. That included whitetail, mulies, moose, elk, caribou, black bears and grizzly.

He talked about sometimes shooting more than one black bear a week to keep them out of the garden and how grizzly bears and hogs were problematic in that once they developed a taste for pork, there was no non-lethal way of changing a grizzly's opinion about it.

Anyways that's a few from up here, but again Phil would have better and more data.

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roanmtn
Wow! I am not believing someone didn't get badly hurt/killed with the smaller calibers. My experience tells me shot placement is the real deal here. In our modern times Mule Deer has told us about shot placement results. Thanks for your reply.

Shot placement ALWAYS matter. You can't miss the vitals with a 460 Weatherby and expect anything other than a schidt show.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Long time no see Dwayne. 👍

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
And where in the OP does he state grizzlies killed on an expensive guided hunt?

There are way more bears killed as incidentals when moose, caribou, or sheep hunting by residents each year than guided hunters kill. Scores more killed with whatever is handy in the boat or snow machine by rural dwellers. A huge percentage of the time the rifle employed will not be some giant magnum.

And in AK there are no caliber restrictions.

You are very correct, My mistake! I made the mistake of assuming that the OP from Tennessee was considering a hunt!

However, your reading comprehension is also somewhat lacking, as I very cleary stated (for those that can read) that a 22 Hornet is capable of killing most any animal on Earth.

I guess that we both have our reading/comprehension flaws! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/21/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer....I am utterly enjoying the responses to my question from you and others. I am now age seventy one and have hunted from the Yukon to Tennessee to Southern Africa with a.270 Win. I have had wonderful experiences with my custom Mark X 98 Mauser in .270 Win. with a 26 inch barrel. After all of these years I have become tired of opinions and no experience of a .270 being used on big brown bears. I am attempting to contact Mr. Shumaker as you have suggested. OH! By the way, I'll use my 9.3 x 62 on big dangerous stuff if I go back to Africa. My cape buffalo was killed with one shot with a 286gr X Bullet. Next time I will use your load of
66 grains Big Game behind the X Bullet.

Last edited by roanmtn; 11/21/23. Reason: Spelling

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have killed only 2 grizzlies, certainly not an expert, but my first was a 7 foot bear in Montana with a 25-35. It is all I had and one shot between the eyes was all it took…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And then there's the rumor that expert shot, multiple bear killer and Alaskan game warden Hosea Sarber was out with his .270 and got eaten by a bear, because he had an inadequate rifle. There are other rumors about that particular incident as well (such as salmon poachers got him), that's just one of them.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/21/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son at 17 shot his second brown bear with a 25-06. Two 100% lethal shots at about 150 yards. Bear facing left swapped ends after the first shot and was running flat out across an avalanche chute. Second shot nearly crossed paths with the first and dual entrance and exit wounds on each side were less than two inches apart.

80gr TTSXs destroyed the heart.

He has also killed multiple black bears, Sitka deer, mountain goat, a huge-bodied bull moose, multiple caribou, and more with the combo.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Bella Twin has been mentioned. How far can we be from a Karamojo Bell sighting in this thread?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I plan to take a 30-06 with 180s next Fall when I go to the Alaska range. My buddy will also have a tag and has also opted to bring a 30-06. Guide is good with it and both of us shoot the rifles well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
2 friends and I did a drop-camp Caribou hunt on the N slope of AK in 2011. 2 270's shooting 140gn Barnes TSX and 1 7Rem Mag loaded with 160gn Partitions. We didn't even see a bear, but, I guess I wouldn't have felt undergunned with the 270's or 7Rem we had in camp. When we got back to Kavik we found out that a camp 5Mi up-river from us had to DLP a Griz that wouldn't leave their camp alone.

In a "hunt" situation, really about any rifle I could shoot well with a fairly stout bullet would be fine.

In a charge/wounded/pissed-off bear situation I'd want every ounce of kenetic energy and every MM of penetration I was capable of summoning.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgive my ignorance but what is DLP?
I assume shot in self defense but IDK.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Defense of Life or Property. You have to skin out the bear and turn it in to Fish and Game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Defense of Life or Property. You have to skin out the bear and turn it in to Fish and Game.
Thank you!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cousin Tom shot one with his 270 Win 150 gr mature Brown bear out of Valdez

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well I'm not taking my 270 on my brown bear hunt this spring🤫

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah I used my 375 H&H with 300gr tsx for my kodiak bear. Shot a dink not as big as some mentioned here. Only measured 9feet.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Well I'm not taking my 270 on my brown bear hunt this spring🤫

Come on Dennis……we need to catch up with some of the others in the world of hunting. Over at LongRangeHunting, many are pushing the concept of “hot” 22’s for the largest of NA game!

For some folks……I highly recommend the use of .22 centerfires for the big bears! 😉 Oh, and for those folks……they should insist that the guide be unarmed! 😁 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/23/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shooting a Grizzly with a 270 is about like shooting a big northern deer with a 243 or a small texas deer with a 223 scale wise. Not a problem, just hit them right with a good bullet. A 338 or 375 isn't going to kill them any quicker if you if you don't hit them right.

Throughout time I'd hasten to bet more grizzlies have been killed with 30-30's and 30-06's than anything else, add the .303 for Canada.

Eskimos like the 223 and 22-250 for polar bears.

Shoot it with whatever blows your skirt up.

Saw one shot 9 times with a 358 norma mag and the thing was still flopping around. Saw a 30-06 180 hornady interlock bang flop one with one shot. The 30-06 bear was much larger. Shot placement is what matters.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bushrat
Shooting a Grizzly with a 270 is about like shooting a big northern deer with a 243 or a small texas deer with a 223 scale wise. Not a problem, just hit them right with a good bullet. A 338 or 375 isn't going to kill them any quicker if you if you don't hit them right.

Throughout time I'd hasten to bet more grizzlies have been killed with 30-30's and 30-06's than anything else, add the .303 for Canada.

Eskimos like the 223 and 22-250 for polar bears.

Shoot it with whatever blows your skirt up.

Saw one shot 9 times with a 358 norma mag and the thing was still flopping around. Saw a 30-06 180 hornady interlock bang flop one with one shot. The 30-06 bear was much larger. Shot placement is what matters.

I can’t argue with any of what you stated…..though, with one addendum……I’ll bet more have been wounded by 30-30’s and .303’s than any other rounds also! It’s simply math! memtb

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Eskimoes shoot what ever they have, if the game gets away here is always another.
Bullet placement is important, but what you hit them with is equally important.

One of my older friends, now gone, was a guide in Alaska for both polar bear and brown bear. His favorite rifle was a .270 and at one time he said 130 Silvertips. I would prefer something else, but he did it for years.

Another old timer now gone shot a .300 H & H with 180 Rem factory loads. He killed a ton of the big bears.

Molon Labe
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MickeyD
. ..and let's not forget that Phil killed a brownie with a puny little ol' 9mm pistol.

Seems like with good shot placement and the right bullets that not much else matters.

And a full mag dump with the 9.... smile

A guy I worked with in the 70's got cross-ways of a sow griz and her 2 year-old twins out of Pt. Hope. .243, but he did have to go back up to his 3-wheeler for an 11th round to finish the last wounded bear.

Last edited by las; 11/23/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are absolutely NO substitutes for shot placement and bullet performance!

A well constructed and well placed bullet from a 270 or 30-06 will kill a big bear as quick as any caliber

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Back in the territory days and just after statehood my father in law, his brother and their “old man” used a .222 Rem Mag for several brown bear. Uncle Rick was almost eaten by a Kodiak that wasn’t impressed by either the 25-06 nor the .270 but he eventually succumbed to a 115gr 25-06 between the eyes.

The .270 would not be my first choice for big bears but with a mono or a premium C&C to the right spot it’ll kill them. I would NOT choose that but if that’s all I had I absolutely WOULD go hunting.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

.....dang Phil.....that's a little harsh....editors and advertisers might be offended... grin grin grin

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 458Win

A well constructed and well placed bullet from a 270 or 30-06 will kill a big bear as quick as any caliber

I wonder if this statement is specific to “hunting” an un-wounded, calm bear as opposed to what you would choose to protect yourself and others from an enraged charge?

I absolutely understand if it’s the first but would be especially curious if your lifetime of experience has convinced you of the second as well.

Thanks for being here.

M
M
Although not as well versed as some on this site, I can say I have not seen much difference in killing power between the bears-both brown and black- that I've shot with my 308, and those that I shot with my 300win and 375. With all due respect to opinions on this site, the moose I have broken down have had thicker hide and ribs than the bears I have shot and have seen shot, and many of those have been with 243, 270, and 308.

It used to amaze me what folks would hunt with around here...a lot of 223s, 22-250s, 243s, 270s, 30-30s, and 30-06s. At one point I was told that you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a 270 around here; I would agree. I know- and some on this site know- a well-versed hunter on the south side of Iliamna Lake that has hunted most of her life with a handed down .300 Savage.

As has been said, good bullets put in the right place are what do the work.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Anteloper

I wonder if this statement is specific to “hunting” an un-wounded, calm bear as opposed to what you would choose to protect yourself and others from an enraged charge?

I absolutely understand if it’s the first but would be especially curious if your lifetime of experience has convinced you of the second as well.

Thanks for being here.
You can read what Phil sometimes uses to follow up wounded big bears. Bet he likes a client who can shoot.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk

.....dang Phil.....that's a little harsh....editors and advertisers might be offended... grin grin grin

Charlie, I hate to be the guy who tells you, but in todays world most people seem to think that the truth is harsh 🙄

But it really doesn’t matter very much whether an animal is resting or charging , a well placed bullet that penetrates will quickly kill it.

The only reason I carry a bigger caliber is that sometimes when things are going sideways it’s difficult to quickly place your bullets and that is when a bigger bore with excess power can sometimes make a difference.
I have killed bears with a lot of different calibers , from the 9mm handgun to the 505 Gibbs, and the more experience I gained with the larger rifles , the more I learned to appreciate the standard 458 Win.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Eskimoes shoot what ever they have, if the game gets away here is always another.

That has not been my experience after hunting with many Inuits across the Canadian North.
But am interested in hearing about your experience.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That has not been my experience after hunting with many Inuits across the Canadian North.
But am interested in hearing about your experience.

Certainly not my experience either. While I have not spent a lot of time with Inuit, I have guided with, and hunted and fished with other indigenous men and women. If anything, they are more careful about utilizing all of what they harvest, and go to great effort to secure it.

Ted

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Since I am the OP, can someone please tell me what does OP mean?

Glenn Campbell
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Original Poster

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks? I'm learning a new vocabulary here on the 24hourcampfire

Glenn Campbell
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mule deer, that was reported in Outdoor Life by JOC. I think it was in reference to polar bears.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks? I'm learning a new vocabulary here on the 24hourcampfire
Some you may need to un-learn.

Ha!

I’ve learned a lot over the years I’ve spent here, exchanging info.

We’re fortunate to have this level of expertise, experience and camaraderie.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mule deer, that was reported in Outdoor Life by JOC. I think it was in reference to polar bears.

Would like to see the quote. To my knowledge (and I have all of O'Connor's books, plus some of his magazine writing) he never hunted with Inuits or for polar bears.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I don't think he hunted P. bears, his was doing articles on N. America wildlife and the Polar Bear was covered. He mentioned the .22 Hornet and .222 as a favorite of the people because they could carry lots of ammo. The bears were incidental while hunting seals. It has been probably 50 years since I read this. I never kept much of his writing, but may have the article in a box in the reloading room. If I get to it, I will check it out.
If you can still access old Outdoor Life articles you may find it. I am almost 100 % sure that is where I read it. How he knew about I don't remember if he mentioned it.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just wondering if there are any brown bear guides carrying 270 Win rifles for client back up on brown bear hunts ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've discussed polar bears with a few natives in Alaska and also in the NW Territories. One in the NWT guides for them and has supposedly been in on around 100 polar bear kills. They all seem to prefer mild mannered rounds of .257" or 6.5mm. The NWT guide recommends the .243 Win to his clients. They all say that .300 Magnums (I presume they're referring to the Winchester round) is too destructive. I am not sure if they'r referring to the hide, the meat or both.

I am guessing they shoot their bears bayed up by dogs or those chased down on snow machines, so close shots are the norm...but that is just a guess. Take that for what it is worth...

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer was Moose Johnson, who guided O'Connor on sheep hunts, a Eskimo? He later went mentally ill after surviving a grizzly attack. I have no knowledge of the native tribes in Alaska or Canada.

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If I recall correctly, Moose Johnson was from one of the western Canadian tribes, maybe Cree, and not an Inuit.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
IIRC he was from the Dease Lake area, perhaps Tahltan?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Dease Lake , probably Kaska

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've discussed polar bears with a few natives in Alaska and also in the NW Territories. One in the NWT guides for them and has supposedly been in on around 100 polar bear kills. They all seem to prefer mild mannered rounds of .257" or 6.5mm. The NWT guide recommends the .243 Win to his clients. They all say that .300 Magnums (I presume they're referring to the Winchester round) is too destructive. I am not sure if they'r referring to the hide, the meat or both.

I am guessing they shoot their bears bayed up by dogs or those chased down on snow machines, so close shots are the norm...but that is just a guess. Take that for what it is worth...

Money is a big factor. The last time I hunted with Inuits, a "summer" hunt for musk ox and caribour along the southern shore of the Arctic Ocean near the mouth of the Ellice River, my primary guide wouldn't even use such a powerful rifle as his .30-30 Model 94 Winchester if he could help it, because it made too big a hole in polar bear hides--which at the time were bringing up to $2000. This was around 20 years ago.

From our conversations (which were translated and added to by his nephew) most polar bears were either taken by using sled dogs to bay them, or by stalking amobearsng the pressure ridges of sea ice, which allowed the hunters to get well inside 100 yards.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Money is a big factor. The last time I hunted with Inuits, a "summer" hunt for musk ox and caribour along the southern shore of the Arctic Ocean near the mouth of the Ellice River, my primary guide wouldn't even use such a powerful rifle as his .30-30 Model 94 Winchester if he could help it, because it made too big a hole in polar bear hides--which at the time were bringing up to $2000. This was around 20 years ago.

From our conversations (which were translated and added to by his nephew) most polar bears were either taken by using sled dogs to bay them, or by stalking amobearsng the pressure ridges of sea ice, which allowed the hunters to get well inside 100 yards.

That sounds a lot like what I have heard. I wonder if Polar bears have thinner hides? I wouldn’t think so due to the conditions they thrive in, but who knows. The bears (both griz and black) that I have shot with a .300 Win Mag and similar rounds didn’t have any more hide damage than those I have taken with smaller rounds and similar bullets.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This guy mostly used the .22 Rimfire Magnum.

John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have seen IIRC several times. What does it mean?

Glenn Campbell
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If I Recall Correctly= IRCC

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi BC30CAL

The stories you have given here are just what I have been looking for. I knew that there must be a good number of people that are/have used the .270 to kill big brown bears. Thanks! I am really enjoying this Thanksgiving gift of .270 Brown Bear stories.

Last edited by roanmtn; 11/27/23. Reason: Spelling

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thànks for your experience. I knew that people were killing brown bears with .270 Win. BUT, where were all the stories. Was there some kind of an agreement by the gun makers to hide the truth.

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil Shoemaker just forwarded this photo to me, of one of his brown bear clients who used 150-grain Nosler Partitions with a .270 Winchester:

[Linked Image]

Phil had these comments:
"He is a Colorado rancher and serious hunter who can shoot. On the first shot from 120 yards the bear spun to bite at the wound and a second hit in the same place dropped it in his tracks."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I took a large adult grizzly with the old 160NP and also found it very effective on moose.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer!!!???///$$$$$$YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS! What a photo and what a tell all story in just two sentences. I have been known to utterly punish my buddies with tall tales of the Mighty .270 Winchester. This photo of THE BIG BROWN BEAR KILLED BY THE MIGHTY .270 WINCHESTER will cause me to be utterly
endeared by my poor buddies when I punish them again with .270 stories. WELLLLLLL? Do you guys believe I should show a wee bit of mercy? Thumbs UP or Thumbs Down, it is all you deciding if any mercy is shown. What say y'all?

Tell 458, the king of all bear hunters, someday I hope to be able to hunt with him for a BIG, BIG, Brown Bear. Thanks Mr. Shoemaker.

Glenn

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will do! Though Phil checks in here now and then....

Will also mention that the quickest/deadest I've seen a bull moose drop from a non-spine shot occurred with one shot from a .270 Winchester and a 150 Partition handloaded to 2850 fps. It took a step-and-half and folded up dead. The bullet entered the middle of the left ribs and ended up under the hide in front of the right shoulder....

John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks John. I came back home from the Viet Nam war time mess, spent some time with the old folks, and went to the Yukon with a fellow soldier who had a dad there and we went hunting. Moose, reindeer, grizzly. All killed with a
270 130gr Nosler partition. The reindeer took two shots as I was so cold I couldn't hold steady was my excuse. The grizzly fell flatt and was hard hit then got up and ran forty yards and just rolled. I knew that people were killing big, mean animals with the .270. Where were the stories? This Thanksgivimg was great with all the stories here that has spoiled a lot of urban legends about the so called inadequacy of the .270. Only experienced hunters can ever really know the truth. The 150gr Nosler partition is the equal of a 7mm 160gr and the moose you saw killed didn't have a chance against that bullet. My only moose went down a whole lot slower.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have seen IIRC several times. What does it mean?
This might help.

https://www.smart-words.org/abbreviations/internet-acronyms.png

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Mule Deer;
Good evening, I hope you and Eileen had a fine Thanksgiving and this finds you well.

That hunt story - I want to say he called it a ".22 Mag a num" unless I'm messing up the stories - anyways that muskox hunt story is one of the top 5 for me that you've written.

As an aside last summer we were at a game farm in Whitehorse where they had muskox and honestly if there's anything cuter than baby muskox, I'm not sure what it might be.

His photo is in the last Sports Afield article you wrote too maybe?

All the best to you both and thanks for the many times you've taken me along on your hunts across the globe.

Dwayne

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have no doubt a 270 and many others work. That said, I will take my 375 H&H M70 that my previous guide, Brad Dennison, was happy to see and happier to see how I shot it. The same rifle for bear next year.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have no doubt a 270 and many others work. That said, I will take my 375 H&H M70 that my previous guide, Brad Dennison, was happy to see and happier to see how I shot it. The same rifle for bear next year.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mule Deer!!!???///$$$$$$YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS! What a photo and what a tell all story in just two sentences. I have been known to utterly punish my buddies with tall tales of the Mighty .270 Winchester. This photo of THE BIG BROWN BEAR KILLED BY THE MIGHTY .270 WINCHESTER will cause me to be utterly
endeared by my poor buddies when I punish them again with .270 stories. WELLLLLLL? Do you guys believe I should show a wee bit of mercy? Thumbs UP or Thumbs Down, it is all you deciding if any mercy is shown. What say y'all?

Tell 458, the king of all bear hunters, someday I hope to be able to hunt with him for a BIG, BIG, Brown Bear. Thanks Mr. Shoemaker.

Glenn

How long do you wish for your buddies to remain your friends? I went back in the" Ask the Gunwriters forum" quite a few pages till I found the thread by Moosemike " Can a person ruin a cartridge for you?" I bumped it up so you won't have a problem finding it, you need to read it all start to finish . In a way it's a good thread that reveals alot about how people can beat a subject to death with their.enthusiasm for it. Might not kill the beaters enthusiasm but sure wears itself out on one's friends. Works the other way also as some people get damn tiring by continually expressing their hatred of certain cartridges. By bashing someone elses choice or being over enthusiastic about yours is not endearing to those you associate with. Anyway the thread is a good read. And no I don't hate any cartridge (6,5C, 270 , etc) or try to wax on and on about them either. Just my 2 cents worth.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Mule Deer;
Good evening, I hope you and Eileen had a fine Thanksgiving and this finds you well.

That hunt story - I want to say he called it a ".22 Mag a num" unless I'm messing up the stories - anyways that muskox hunt story is one of the top 5 for me that you've written.

As an aside last summer we were at a game farm in Whitehorse where they had muskox and honestly if there's anything cuter than baby muskox, I'm not sure what it might be.

His photo is in the last Sports Afield article you wrote too maybe?

All the best to you both and thanks for the many times you've taken me along on your hunts across the globe.

Dwayne

Yep, that photo in the latest Sports Afield is the ".22 mag-a-num" guy, David Ameganik.

Hope all is well in B.C. We're still having semi-summer here, though it is getting a little below freezing most nights....

Good hunting,
John

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Enjoyed reading this! A few comments about the Inuits choice of firearms based on four bow hunts with them from 2018 to 2021:

For his own polar bear (and seal) hunts, my assistant polar bear guide out of Resolute Bay, Nunavut used a Remington 700 .222 with 50 gr softpoints. Said he bought it 15 years earlier when he was in high school. He'd typically order in 500 rounds of ammo every year for it, but was contemplating starting to reload based on uncertain availability of ammo (this was in February 2018).

I asked him about his shot placement and hunting techniques of polar bears...."stay about 70 yards away, take a perfectly frontal shot into the soft spot of the chest". And he said he'd typically shoot them 2 or 3 times "to put them to sleep".

As a sidelight, he was my backup when I arrowed my bear. We got in to 30 yards broadside while the 9 sled/bear dogs held the the bear at bay. The big boar let out a ferocious roar when the arrow hit, then lunged forward one step before melting down into the snow. He was carrying an ancient .303 British Lee Enfield with 180 gr Winchester Silvertips. I was happy I made a perfect shot putting the bear was down in a few seconds as the backup rifle had been showered with sea water a few days earlier when he fired a shot straight down at a seal in a breathing hole through the ice and missed. He'd scraped the frozen sea water off the the action and out of the end of the barrel with a seal gaff hook (think hay hook) so he could eject the empty case. The rifle stayed outside the tent the entire hunt so wouldn't get condensation and freeze up in the -30* to -40* conditions.

Down around Baker Lake, Nunavut, 100 miles inland from the west side of Hudson Bay my archery caribou guide used carried a left hand Ruger M77 chambered in .204 Ruger using 34 gr hollow points. This was his wolf and caribou rifle...and also his grizzly gun.

The week before I got there in late October 2018 he'd shot a barren ground grizzly. I asked him how it had gone down: "first shot the bear was moving away at 70 yds. He got pretty excited when I hit in the butt. It took a couple more shots to calm him down". The hide was draped over the deck railing at his house...I'd guess it was a 5.5' or 6' bear as the barren ground bears are relatively small.

The guide also had a Ruger M77 in .308 Winchester that he he was carrying in 2019, not the .204. Says that the outfitter he worked for had encouraged him to use it versus his .204 when he was backing up muskox and caribou hunters, with the potential of a grizzly or polar bear run-in, depending on how far out from Hudson Bay he was hunting.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Well, l guess it is thumbs down for punishing my buddies. I actually have only two friends left from my youth . They have all passed. One friend, a Virginian, I met while I sold insurance passed and it broke my heart was Tom Colley. We had this good natured quarrel concerning the .270 and 25-06. Tom was born in 1937 and was utterly convinced his 25-06 was THE gun to own. It seems the white tails, hogs, elk, etc were a good point against me. BUT, we both admitted that shot placement was the big secret as my .270 was also just as good.The other friend lives in Roan Mountain, TN where we went to high school. We graduated in 1970. He too loves the the 25-06. His dad bought him a 25-06 and it was the talk of Roan Mountain, TN. New on the market, the 25-06 was hard to find anywhere. However, there were some small country hardware stores in Abingdon,Virginia next door to Tennessee. It was a long trip where we had crooked two lane roads My dad and his dad took us to one where we knew the owner and he reserved the only one he had and my buddy had his 25-06. We didn't have many deer in Tennessee fifty three years ago. The one hundred grain bullet smoked the deer as did the .270 loaned to me since age ten by my uncle, a disabled lumberjack. We hunted next door in Virginia and North Carolina.The other friend from my youth quit hunting when he became a university professor in math. In time the favorite rifle in Roan Mountain became the .243 Win-6mm Rem.

Last edited by roanmtn; 11/28/23. Reason: Diction and spelling

Glenn Campbell
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread and stories fellas. Great reading!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MickeyD

Yeah Phil's getting up in years and had to go back to shooting them, instead of just strangle'n em like he did in the old days. wink laugh

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My parents grew up during the Great Depression & those hard times were never forgotten !! They were building their first home & had to borrow $500 from a wealthy neighbor (Banks would not loan money to worthy customers during that time) to finish building their home. They worried theirselves nearly to death until they paid it back. My Mother, a school teacher never forgot those hard times & made me feel guilty to ask for Lunch Money. She said they didn't even buy underwear until out of debt !!! Needless to say my Dad was thrifty buying ammo !!!!

"not too grumpy"
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi oldwoody2

My family was also the way your your family was. My father would never borrow money unless it was an emergency. All of the folks that lived in the Tennessee mountain communities of Ripshin Mountain and Roan Mountain were scared for life because of the poverty they endured during the Great Depression. My family did without things we should have had...my opinion. I was a East Tennessee mountain boy that was a lumberjack from age 14-18. I was forced to enlist in the U.S. Army just so I could get some rest from the hard work. I also was able to see a lot of the world and get a college education on the GI Bill.

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi oldwoody2

My family was also the way your your family was. My father would never borrow money unless it was an emergency. All of the folks that lived in the Tennessee mountain communities of Ripshin Mountain and Roan Mountain were scared for life because of the poverty they endured during the Great Depression. My family did without things we should have had...my opinion. I was a East Tennessee mountain boy that was a lumberjack from age 14-18. I was forced to enlist in the U.S. Army just so I could get some rest from the hard work. I also was able to see a lot of the world and get a college education on the GI Bill. I was fortunate a uncle loaned me a battered old pre 64 M70 .270 with two old boxes of 130gr Winchester Ammo. I still had one and a half boxes of ammo when I went to Ft. Campbell, Ky for basic training. Dad sold the rifle for doctor bills for my mom and paid my uncle back for the rifle.

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yes! Yes! These great stories are the best I've read in a long, long time. I just knew there were people out there who had and were using the .270 to kill big brown bears. Just wonderful to read about all of these .270 stories.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going on my 3rd grizzly baited hunt with Jake Jefferson in June. My 1st grizzly was a nice sow killed with1 shot from a 375 Ruger with 270 Hornady factory interlocks. The 2nd grizzly was also a sow 1 shot kill with a 30/06 with 220 grain Nolser partitions handloads. Both went about 20 yards. Jake has killed grizzly with a 270 when he was young. I know his wife & 2 sons have killed 8 1/2 ' ers with a 308 Winchester. All of these bears were taken @ 100 yards. 1 shot kills. Shot placement is critical. For my hunt this June I'm taking back the 30/06----I'm thinking either 180 Hornady round nose interlocks----which is my do everything load here in the lower 48. Or maybe 220 grain factory loads either Federal or Remington. Bob

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I hope you really enjoy your hunt and your 30-06 drops your bear with one shot.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boy, not me. I'm hoping for a 'Revenant' type story coming outta this. Think GOOD tale....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Boy, not me. I'm hoping for a 'Revenant' type story coming outta this. Think GOOD tale....

Man, that's just mean grin

Semper Fi
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I really appreciate your reply. This Thanksgiving post and the replying have really brought a lot of joy during the Christmas holidays. I much enjoyed everyone's stories. Merry Christmas!

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I feel your caliber choice is very good and will exercise great authority with the bear.

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yes! I remember this story from many years ago as told by Jack O'Connor when I was a young boy. My high school principal complained bitterly that someone was stealing the current copy of Outdoor Life every month. It was JUST BORROWED as I always returned it after week or two. This is where I first read this story. That was many moons ago in Roan MTN., TN.

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Phil Shoemaker wrote back to me. I was told he had stopped brown bear charges with a 30-06. His favorite load for brown bears is a 200gr Nosler Partition. Yep! That should penetrate with a sectional density of 301.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be surprised if JOC hadn't killed a griz with one of his 270s.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
If I remember correctly, the bears were killed incidentally to hunting a moose and a sheep. One of the bears came rolling down a steep hill and came close to rolling over him when he shot it with his .270. I can't remember what weight bullet he used. Probably a 130gr as he really preferred the 130gr.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'd be surprised if JOC hadn't killed a griz with one of his 270s.
He had

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Phil Shoemaker wrote back to me. I was told he had stopped brown bear charges with a 30-06. His favorite load for brown bears is a 200gr Nosler Partition. Yep! That should penetrate with a sectional density of 301.
His opinion hasn’t wavered in years. I corresponded with him when I first got on this forum about what he recommended for bear. He pretty much told me to run a 200 grain partition in an 06 with as much RL22 I could fit in the case. I no longer have an 06 but that advice still stands today in my load notes as a dandy bear load. No browns or grizz but some solid black bears

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread. I've enjoyed reading this.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Question for all you Grizz guys. How big are interior bears. Big boar and big sow. I’ve read plenty about them and seen a couple visiting out west but never dealt with them up close. I’ve been around some big black bears,400-550 lbs. I’d have no problem taking a big black bear with a stout 270 load not sure how much more an interior Grizz would take to dispatch.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here are a couple of interior Grizzlies I’ve caught on my trail cameras. Some are no joke.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
brinky,

The biggest grizzly the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks has ever weighed whole, on certified scales with witnesses, weighed 1102 pounds.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
brinky,

The biggest grizzly the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks has ever weighed whole, on certified scales with witnesses, weighed 1102 pounds.

Where was that bear trapped?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the average?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
brinky,

True. An early book titled "The Grizzly Bear" documents an bear brought into a butcher shop scales in Spokane WA weighing over 1100 if I re call correctly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Here are a couple of interior Grizzlies I’ve caught on my trail cameras. Some are no joke.

Awesome pics. Man they’re cool animals!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Well, Bella Twin has been mentioned. How far can we be from a Karamojo Bell sighting in this thread?

I think we're closing in on a new corollary to Godwin's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first “adult” center fire was a .270 Win - still my favorite (I am snobbishly excluding a 30-30).

Love reading these stories proclaiming the glory of the .270.

Last night I finished reading James Gary Shelton’s “Bear Attacks - The Deadly Truth”. One story, in particular, changed my perspective for hunting in bear country with any of my .270 / 7mm Rem Mag / .308 Win.

Chapter 4 - Carcass Defence Behavior documents a grizzly attack. Two British Columbia logging workers came within proximity of a male grizzly with an animal carcass. Not close enough to see the grizzly nor the carcass.

The men were working when they first saw the bear approaching them when at an approximate distance of 40 feet. The bear disappeared back into the brush. The men next saw the bear at 20 feet when it lunged at them.

At a distance of 7 feet, they fired two rounds of buckshot (shot size not specified) into the bear’s face. The bear stopped but did not go down. The third cartridge loaded in their gun was a slug (12-gauge - slug size, style, and brand not specified). This shot struck the bear just below one eye. The bear was knocked over backward, but not killed.

“The bear went wild; it was spinning around on its side, roaring and bellowing at the top of its lungs.”

The man without the gun dug around in their back pack and found more slugs (filtering through birdshot and buckshot) and the gunman reloaded with slugs. The fourth shot hit the bear in the chest, just behind the right front leg.

“The bear collapsed on its side and lay still for a moment, then jumped up and ran to their right, stumbling and bellowing as it went out of sight. They could see that the grizzly still had ample power, and it sounded like the bear was coming around behind them in the timber. Then, all of a sudden, it was very quiet.”

The men hiked their way back to their helicopter drop site where they radioed to be picked up. 40 minutes later, the helicopter arrived.

They flew back to the attack site and could see the bear lying in a pool of blood, trying to crawl up a steep slope.

They later returned with a Marlin 44 to insure the bear was dead. At a distance of 80 feet, they shot into the bear 6 times to insure it was dead.

Later, a Conservarion Officer investigated. He reported that the bear traveled 250 yards before dying.

——-

This grizzly took a 12-gauge slug in the face, took another slug in the chest, traveled 250 yards and was still alive more than 40 minutes later.

I don’t think I would use any of my 270 / 7mm / 308 in bear country.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman

I think we're closing in on a new corollary to Godwin's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Absolutely!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
For those of you that like Alaska hunting stories look up Alaska` Wolfman by Jim Rearden. It covers the life of Frank Glaser from 1915 t0 1955.

He hunted with many guns and killed much game. I think it is a Good read.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
When I was a little kid I was able to read a lot of Russell Annabelle. The stories of Alaska were very exciting and full of adventure with his old hunting partner. I came to wonder if he had mastered the art of slightly embellishing the facts(BS). I do like Alaskan adventure stories especially from Russel Annabelle from many, many, MANY moons ago.

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ipopum
For those of you that like Alaska hunting stories look up Alaska` Wolfman by Jim Rearden. It covers the life of Frank Glaser from 1915 t0 1955.

He hunted with many guns and killed much game. I think it is a Good read.

Yep, a great read--and well-researched and written, like all of Jim Rearden's writing.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I was a little kid I was able to read a lot of Russell Annabelle. The stories of Alaska were very exciting and full of adventure with his old hunting partner. I came to wonder if he had mastered the art of slightly embellishing the facts(BS). I do like Alaskan adventure stories especially from Russel Annabelle from many, many, MANY moons ago.

His name was Annabel, and yes he often embellished facts. He was kind of like the Alaskan version of Peter Hathaway Capstick. But both could tell a story well enough to sell a lot of stories....

John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi Mule Deer.... Is Annabelle the first name or last name of Russell Annabelle? I looked at one of his books on the internet and the author is listed as Russel Annabelle on the cover of the book and other books displayed the same name???? It's cold here in the mountains of East Tennessee tonight.

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Last name. Have never seen Annabelle on any of his articles or books. Where did you Google it?

John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi John.... I screwed up when I used the spelling correction function on my cell phone. I didn't pay attention to it. It is spelled Annabel, not Annabelle. I was just asking if Annabel was his first or last name. I've always assumed it was the last name. I just typed in Russel Annabel, author/writer and it went to Russel Annabel and a list of his books. Thanks for your patience and reply.

Glenn Campbell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If a grizzly charges you, you will be faced with a frontal shot with very little time, probably under 2 seconds to shoot. At this point you need to hit the CNS (brain), those nice behind the shoulder shots most likely will not be available. Bullet construction, sectional density and of course power to some extent are most important. To say you feel save with a 44 Mag but not a 270 doesn't really make sense to me unless you shoot a lot better with your 44 Mag.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
AdventureBound;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust that the start of the second week of the year has been good to you thus far and you're well.

Since you're reading material by the late James Gary Shelton, if you've not read his other two books on bears, in my opinion they're worth a read.

He lived in Hagensborg which is half way up the BC coast to Alaska where there is no shortage of bears. As well as being a bear guide for awhile, he became the one who got the call all over the province to do bear attack investigations and finally he developed and taught a bear survival course which was mandated for some work by WorkSafeBC - the worker's compensation and safety body for the province.

Because of that background he was able to get a pretty broad overview of negative interactions with bears, not only in hunting situations.

To be clear here I'm not trying to start a bladder pressure contest with anyone and there's a thousand roads to Mecca, but his books convinced me that buckshot in a shotgun was not a prudent option and that all slugs were not created equal for that matter.

Again if some of the gentle readers here have killed bears with Brand X buckshot, that's more than I have with buckshot from X or Y and like as not I'll not convince them it's not the Hammer of Thor for the task.

More or less where I'm at now as far as projectile choice, I'm looking for a minimum of 24" of straight penetration, then practicing enough to hit where I need to and praying the combo carried that day will be up to the task if needed.

Hopefully too, it goes without saying I'm praying even more fervently that I don't need to test out my theories on any of the increasing numbers of interior grizzlies popping up in our neighborhood. wink

All the best to you in 2024.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/08/24. Reason: better wording?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado
If a grizzly charges you, you will be faced with a frontal shot with very little time, probably under 2 seconds to shoot. At this point you need to hit the CNS (brain), those nice behind the shoulder shots most likely will not be available. Bullet construction, sectional density and of course power to some extent are most important. To say you feel save with a 44 Mag but not a 270 doesn't really make sense to me unless you shoot a lot better with your 44 Mag.
A study was done recently regarding the effectiveness of hand guns in stopping bear attacks. The results were surprising in that handguns were effective like 95% of the time! Even more surprising is caliber didn't seem to matter!
So ask yourself why?
As most things the devil is in the details. The majority of the handgun defense cases the bears weren't killed , simply convinced to find trouble elsewhere I would guess.
Another detail is the hand gun can be deployed at very close range, odds are you are going to get bit.
A rifle is a one and done deal usually. If the bear gets ahold of you the rifle likely cannot be deployed at that point, while the handgun can, keep pumping rounds into him!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
irfubar;
Top of the morning to you Brother Fubar and an official Happy New Year from the still dark south Okanagan.

Thanks for your thoughts, I suspect you're not wrong in your theories.

Hopefully it goes without saying how much it galls me that the powers that be in Ottawa have such blatant disregard for the lives of citizens out west and up north that we're prevented from carrying the best tool for the job in order to survive some of the wild encounters.

In one of the James Gary Shelton books, he details the investigation of the killing of two BC hunters just out of Radium in the mid '90's. They'd killed a bull elk, were taking it apart and had two loaded rifles propped nearby if I'm not remembering wrong. The grizzly got the first fellow, then the second fellow's gun jammed I want to say and it got him too.

The CO's killed a sow and either one or two cubs on the kills, but locals and Shelton believed it was actually a bigger male who'd done the deed as there'd been reports of a big male bullying hunters off of their kills in that area for years. When a big male was killed - we could still hunt them then - the next spring, the problems with hunters went away.

In another case of how small the world can be, a good friend and hunting companion used to play rec volleyball with one of the deceased hunter's sister. She said he was not inexperienced by any definition by the way.

Having handled a carcass or three in reasonably tight quarters in bear country, I'd absolutely prefer something on my person in a chest rig rather than a long gun propped nearby. I mean just because I'm a Canuck doesn't necessarily mean I'm stupid.... wink

Necessarily being the key word there one might observe. laugh

Best to you all in 2024, may neither of us need to use what we're packing on a recalcitrant bruin anytime soon.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/08/24.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Chuck Jonkel, a long-time bear biologist in western Montana, once killed a radio collared bear he was looking for and got accidentally too close. She came boiling over a log pile at him at close range. All he had was a fully loaded Colt Woodsman .22 pistol, and she dropped on his last shot through the eye into the brain. I never heard the size of the grizzly.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I wouldn't.
Dangerous game is potentially dangerous.
For that reason, I would think a little harder on it before taking a .270 unless it was heavily loaded with a mono or 160gn Partition and I still wouldn't, because there are better options without compromising on rifle characteristics.

Lots of fish are caught on a 4 pound line. Not ideal, but it works a lot of times. If you are in an area with bigger than fry pan sized fish, why would plan a disadvantage by not planning for success or worse, safety?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Simply put, the average IQ won't even cut his dinner with the smaller knife options. You use the easier choice by going larger. The metaphor doesn't change when its your dinner or a bears.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I recall reading a book, "Alaska Wilderness Hunter", by Harold "Zeke" Schetzel. If I recall correctly, he writes about a friend that carried a thumbhole .270 Win as his Grizz and Brown Bear stopping rifle because he was so proficient with it.

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AdventureBound;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust that the start of the second week of the year has been good to you thus far and you're well.

Since you're reading material by the late James Gary Shelton, if you've not read his other two books on bears, in my opinion they're worth a read.

….

All the best to you in 2024.

Dwayne

Hello Dwayne,

Nice to meet you, sir. Thank you for your very kind wishes. 2024 so far has been quiet, but has already brought some small blessings.

I do have all three of Shelton’s books about bear attacks. I have read in backwards sequence. I ordered the books in used condition and I believe that his last book, “Bear Attacks II: Myth & Reality” was the first I received, so I read it first. Next, I read “Bear Attacks: The Deadly Truth” - his second book. And now, I am reading his first work, “Bear Encounter Survival Guide”.

Beyond the tremendous value of Shelton’s experience and wisdom, the books are entertaining. Especially “The Deadly Truth”.

Because of “life”, I have been away from hunting for roughly 30 years and am making plans to hunt again as I am anticipating another life change fairly soon that will return some opportunity. My younger years, I hunted whitetail in Texas; three years, I hunted mule deer in western Colorado and loved hunting in the mountains. I hope my future will allow me to hunt elk in either Idaho or western Montana, maybe New Mexico. I am using my time now to learn and prepare, thus the interest in bear defense.

The most powerful chamberings in my rifle battery are .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, and .308 Win. The .270 is my favorite. I optimistically hoped that a premium bullet such as Nosler Partition, A-Frame, Norma Oryx, or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw would be sufficient defense against a bear attack. The story I earlier posted changed my mind.

In a different thread, I saw Mule Deer (John) post that he would want something more substantial in bear country. I now appreciate John’s perspective.

My gosh, this means that I will need another gun. What a pity!

Will an either .35 Whelen or a 9.3x62 do the trick?

Thanks for mentioning that Shelton is deceased. Seeing that his first book was published 30 years ago, I wondered if he were still around.

In one of the James Gary Shelton books, he details the investigation of the killing of two BC hunters just out of Radium in the mid '90's. They'd killed a bull elk, were taking it apart and had two loaded rifles propped nearby if I'm not remembering wrong. The grizzly got the first fellow, then the second fellow's gun jammed I want to say and it got him too.

This 1995 story is documented in “The Deadly Truth”, chapter 10 - Without Warning”, 56 pages extensively telling the story of Shane Fumerton and Bill Caspel, including details from many sources, as you noted about Shelton’s writing. Definitely worth a read!

Having handled a carcass or three in reasonably tight quarters in bear country, I'd absolutely prefer something on my person in a chest rig rather than a long gun propped nearby. I mean just because I'm a Canuck doesn't necessarily mean I'm stupid.... wink

Amen. Wholly agreed (not the Canuck part!). Probably a 44 Mag, however, I would prefer a 10mm - but only if it is more than powerful enough to stop a charging grizzly with one, possibly two, hits.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and your kind words.

Forrest
(Hopefully smarter than Forrest Gump, but sadly not as wealthy)

Last edited by AdventureBound; 01/08/24. Reason: Formatting

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Well.... I don't own a .44 Mag. I am also a believer that the big bears can abush a hunter very quickly as fast as they are. There is probably time for one shot maybe two at the most. One must place the shot accurately no matter the caliber. Perhaps, if the recoil is too great, he/she will flinch and miss. I believe there are enough stories here(including my own) that show calibers less than .375, .416, .458 do penetrate and kill effectively. However, ALL these calibers must have good shot placement. In my youth, over fifty three years ago I killed a grizzly in the Yukon with a .270 Win using a 130gr Nosler Partition. It penetrated very well at seventy or so yards. It would have penetrated at ten yards. Phil Shoemaker has told us the .270 kills just as fast as any other cartridge with good shot placement. Screw up a shot with a .458 Win Mag..... you've got one hell of a mess. Perhaps the hunter will now be referred to as Claude Balls. If the hunter is ambushed by Mr. Brown Bear, who said he will have time to shoot regardless of the caliber of the weapon he is carrying?

Last edited by roanmtn; 01/09/24. Reason: Diction and spelling

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
roanmtn;
Good morning to you sir from the still dark and finally snow covered part of BC, I hope you all out east are well, warm and dry.

Hopefully I can be forgiven for sharing another BC hunting story, this one told to me by a very good friend, taking place before the powers that be in Victoria lost their collective mind and banned all grizzly hunting in BC.

If I'm not remembering wrong this would have taken place in the 90's as my friend had drawn a LEH tag for spring grizzly in the Kootenays. His brother in law from Seattle wanted to accompany him on a bear hunt, so off they went. They were part way up the Lardeau River Valley which is stunningly pretty country with the Purcells on one side and the Selkirks on the other. Overall it's fairly steep country too might I add.

They were working the bottom of an avalanche chute where the grizzly bears like to dig for animals caught in the snow slides when they spotted what he termed "a little fart of a grizzly, maybe 5' or so". As they glassed the bear which was several hundred yards away, it suddenly stood up on it's hind legs, began to sniff the air, then dropped down and began running at full tilt down towards them.

The brother in law asked my friend, "Hey it that normal?" to which my friend said he replied, "Not so far"..

There was a fairly big draw below them into which the bear disappeared, but also there was a smaller draw which ran off to one side and behind the two men.

My friend said they were both watching below them intently for what seemed to him to be next to forever, when for reasons he couldn't explain, something made him look behind them towards the smaller draw.

There, crouched down like a cat stalking a bird, was the young grizzly and as it cleared a Doug Fir stump, my friend shot it in the head.

I asked "How close was it?" and he pointed to the front door knob of our house which was about 24' from where he was sitting in our living room by the woodstove.

When I made some comment about how close that all was, he replied, "Yah, the funny thing was Dwayne, I dropped my lighter I don't know how many times when I tried to have a smoke afterward." grin

As to what rifle, its a 7mm Mag. in a Weatherby Vanguard and if I know him, it'd be a 140gr bullet but the bullet weight is a guess.

He had that grizzly hide rugged up and gave it to the brother in law as a little memento of his first BC grizzly hunt.

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Dwayne

This is from this past hunting season where we cut the tracks of 3 different grizzly still out on a bitterly cold day. That folding boning knife is an honest 8½" for scale. We tracked 2 of them for more than 5km on a logging road, finally loosing the tracks at an appropriately named mountain lake - Bear Lake... laugh

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
. Phil Shoemaker has told us the .270 kills just as fast as any other cartridge with good shot placement. Screw up a shot with a .458 Win Mag..... you've got one hell of a mess. Perhaps the hunter will now be referred to as Claude Balls. If the hunter is ambushed by Mr. Brown Bear, who said he will have time to shoot regardless of the caliber of the weapon he is carrying?

It's not quite that simple.

Phil prefers to guide hunters who bring a .270 or .30-06 (or similarly chambered rifle) they can shoot well rather than a rifle chambered for a more powerful cartridge they can't shoot well. But he prefers larger cartridges to clean up the mess caused by poor shot placement--and while he knows the .30-06 can since he's used it a lot, prefers to carry rifles chambered for larger cartridges when backing up clients.

His favorite is the .458 Winchester Magnum, because even a less-than-perfect hit on a charging bear will usually stop the bear long enough to get another shot in. Lesser cartridges don't do that as reliably--and larger cartridges kick too hard for the shooter to recover from recoil and get another shot off quickly.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
BC30Cal, I just bought all 3 of Mr. Shelton’s books for my Kindle app on my phone. Thanks for the recommendation Dwayne!
Respectfully,

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
. Phil Shoemaker has told us the .270 kills just as fast as any other cartridge with good shot placement. Screw up a shot with a .458 Win Mag..... you've got one hell of a mess. Perhaps the hunter will now be referred to as Claude Balls. If the hunter is ambushed by Mr. Brown Bear, who said he will have time to shoot regardless of the caliber of the weapon he is carrying?

Phil prefers to guide hunters who bring a .270 or .30-06 (or similarly chambered rifle) they can shoot well rather than a rifle chambered for a more powerful cartridge they can't shoot well. But he prefers larger cartridges to clean up the mess caused by poor shot placement--and while he knows the .30-06 can since he's used it a lot, prefers to carry rifles chambered for larger cartridges when backing up clients.

His favorite is the .458 Winchester Magnum, because even a less-than-perfect hit on a charging bear will usually stop the bear long enough to get another shot in. Lesser cartridges don't do that as reliably--and larger cartridges kick too hard for the shooter to recover from recoil and get another shot off quickly.

I'd like to know how Phil does it, because my recovery time between shots with a .458 or fully stoked .416 is noticeably slower than with the .375 or 9.3. And that's very correct, shooting a grumpy one at 10 yards is just as much about changing his mind immediately as it is about killing him.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good morning and Happy New Year to you and Eileen, I hope you're both warm, well and dry this morning.

We got the second snowfall of the winter last night - first of the year - and I'm just part way out the door to plug in the tractor and deal with it.

Thanks for the thoughts on hunting clients and what they show up with.

If I'm not wrong you've written similar thoughts from back in the days when you were guiding and I know that in talking with the local guides and outfitters, the very last thing they wanted to see was a client show up with a shiny new whizbang ultra mag that they were unfamiliar with.

Locally here it was mostly a case of a missed ram, buck or black bear, but we did have one American hunter end up shooting a grizzly that was stalking the guide and him. That was years back, maybe in the mid '90's if I'm remembering right now. In that instance the hunter did good work with his chosen arm and dropped the grizzly with a single shot. The CO's did the investigation and it was all good, but since it was a defense shooting the hide and head couldn't be kept.

Anyways mostly I wanted to send best wishes to you and Eileen for a good 2024.

I'd better get out there and move some white stuff.

Dwayne

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail

I'd like to know how Phil does it, because my recovery time between shots with a .458 or fully stoked .416 is noticeably slower than with the .375 or 9.3. And that's very correct, shooting a grumpy one at 10 yards is just as much about changing his mind immediately as it is about killing him.

I didn't say Phil recovered from .458 recoil as quickly as with a smaller round. He said that for him the .458 provides the best balance between "stopping power" and recoil recovery.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Another part of that equation is that Phil is a very big man. Not everyone would recover from the .458 the same as he does. The math for me (5’8”/165) might be different.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phil is a very big man ?
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Phil is a very big man ?
Charlie

Isn’t he? I’m going by pictures. Have never met him personally but have the impression he’s a very large, strong guy.

To my main point; for me, the .416 Ruger in an Alaskan model is the sweet spot in my limited experience for the power/controllable factor. .458 knocks me around noticeably.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you know a feller named Brian Shaw ? Worlds strongest man several times. Phil is about his size. laugh laugh laugh

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
So...

I don’t need to go back, to change my original statement & deny I stupidly said it...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I heard that Chuck Norris is afraid of Phil....

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
“Karamoja” Bell’s favorite big game round was a Rigby .275 (i.e a 7x57mm Mauser). He knew how and where to shoot while facing charging game that was 10 to 12 ft tall and mounting to tonnage at close quarters (elephant). His theory was calm and accurate placement as opposed bullet mass.

He also thought cape buffalo were pretty wimpy.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/09/24.

1Minute
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer...... I agree 100 percent! As much as I cherish my custom 26" barreled .270 Win., I would prefer my 9.3 x 62. The heavier bullets and larger caliber with that extra authority would make me feel much safer. We know the .270 can do it. I did it with a .270 as a young man at age 21. BUT, still!

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer...... I agree 100 percent! As much as I cherish my custom 26" barreled .270 Win., I would prefer my 9.3 x 62. The heavier bullets and larger caliber with that extra authority would make me feel much safer. We know the .270 can do it. I did it with a .270 as a young man at age 21. BUT, still!

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil is a very big man ?
Charlie

Phil's close my size. I would guess around 5-8 and 175.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Phil told us a lot over a period of years, most of the technically relevent stuff forgotten in these threads.

Being a huge .458 user and log time fan of that round I recall he, as I, favored the 400gn Barnes X bullet as did others in the 90's until you ran out. After that he experimented and mentioned settling on 500grainers backed off to around 2000fps which is a good way to manage recoil for repeat shots where necessary.

Either the 400 or 500gn (or more) weighted bullets hit game hard enough to often see a visual sign that that animal is in trouble and that certainly can influence your speed in cycling the next round.

Big cartridges were what I considered a challenge to master and the proof being tight groups whenever you shoot and never a miss, or wild shot amiss on game. Phil is there and has the experience to know the outcome. Its good advice.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Phil is a very big man ?
Charlie

Phil's close my size. I would guess around 5-8 and 175.

Well, in my eyes you’re both 10 feet tall. Deeds count for a lot.

(More materially factual, together you ARE 11’ 4”)

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I hope nobody’s gonna tell me Charlie Sisk isn’t 7’ 9”...

Last edited by Anteloper; 01/09/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Charlie Sisk is 10 feet tall and bullet proof....or he will be in an hour or so when he gets ahold of that bottle of Maker's....or it gets ahold of him.. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
“Karamoja” Bell’s favorite big game round was a Rigby .275 (i.e a 7x57mm Mauser). He knew how and where to shoot while facing charging game that was 10 to 12 ft tall and mounting to tonnage at close quarters (elephant). His theory was calm and accurate placement as opposed bullet mass.

He also thought cape buffalo were pretty wimpy.

And there it is 😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Charlie, my impression is Phil is a big guy whose body mass may help him absorb the .458 Win recoil better than a normal man. However, he may be a normal guy who is tougher than nails and can take the punishment!

Last edited by roanmtn; 01/09/24.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah...Phil is not a big man...tougher than a pine knot though...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charlie Sisk is 10 feet tall and bullet proof....or he will be in an hour or so when he gets ahold of that bottle of Maker's....or it gets ahold of him.. grin

Kind of like …. God made men, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Charlie, my impression is Phil is a big guy whose body mass may help him absorb the .458 Win recoil better than a normal man. However, he may be a normal guy who is tougher than nails and can take the punishment!

Body mass does not necessarily help recoil resistance. In fact, some theorize that less body mass allows the shooter to "roll" more easily with recoil, thus reducing pain. Elmer Keith is one possible example, but another might be Coni Brooks, who with her husband Randy owned/ran Barnes Bullets for years until retiring 14 years ago.

Coni isn't much over five feet tall, and trim. She used the .338 Winchester Magnum as her big game rifle for anything smaller than Cape buffalo for many years, with notable success. (For the really big stuff she preferred a large-caliber double rifle, a .500 of some sort if I recall correctly.)

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Chuck Jonkel, a long-time bear biologist in western Montana, once killed a radio collared bear he was looking for and got accidentally too close. She came boiling over a log pile at him at close range. All he had was a fully loaded Colt Woodsman .22 pistol, and she dropped on his last shot through the eye into the brain. I never heard the size of the grizzly.
I remember Chuck, I remember he spent some time in th B.C's Flathead Valley( north fork). In the 80's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah...Phil is not a big man...tougher than a pine knot though...

He looks shorter than he is because he squat-walks to muffle the clanking!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have been around Phil.

He is more heavily muscled than actor Duane Johnson.

He is as tall a Shaquille O’Neill.

His flying skills are such that Tom Cruise wanted Phil to be a pilot in Top Gun Maverick.

Most importantly he is a wonderful human being and a gentleman.

Last edited by RinB; 01/09/24.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I remember Chuck, I remember he spent some time in th B.C's Flathead Valley( north fork). In the 80's

I got to know Chuck some when I was a wildlife biology major at the University of Montana--where he taught, along with being a field biologist. He spent more time around bears than most bear guides, and among other things was one of several biologists made a pretty long trip into northern Mexico to see if any grizzlies still existed there. They did find one bear that had the appearance of a grizzly, but without a biological test could not be certain. (According to most sources the last Mexican grizzly was killed in 1976, but there's an awful lot of very empty country in Sonora, and other parts of northern Mexico.)

His son Jamie has been the bear management specialist for Montana, Fish, Wildlife & Parks for many years now, and in fact is nearing retirement age. (Apparently bears are in the Jonkel DNA.) A cousin of mine went to high school with Jamie, and knows him pretty well.

John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
These are the stories I cherish hearing. Stories of settlers, pioneers, people who successfully used what they had and did a good job of make do with what you have. It also shows how much people can be misled into thinking that they absolutely must have this or that because nothing else will work. These stories show what can actually work. However, one must use a good amount of common sense and skill in these situations.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
I have been around Phil.

He is more heavily muscled than actor Duane Johnson.

He is as tall a Shaquille O’Neill.

His flying skills are such that Tom Cruise wanted Phil to be a pilot in Top Gun Maverick.

Most importantly he is a wonderful human being and a gentleman.

🫣🙄🙄

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently read where writer Tyler Freel with Outdoor Life killed an interior grizzly with a 6.5 CM, but then again, he's killed lots, including one with a homemade bow and flint tipped arrow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Natives routinely kill polar bears , which can weigh as much as brown bears (1400-1600 #) , with 223’s !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I hunted musk ox in Nunavut Territory in 1994, my 50-year-old Inuit guide mostly used the .22 Winchester Magnum on polar bears, though he did have a bigger back-up gun--a Winchester 94 .30-30....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if a big fly swatter would work?

MM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Taking about grizzlies in Mexico. They were in Chihuahua until at least 1980. I think they're pretty much extirpated in Mexico now. My Grandpa and father saw one on Catron county New Mexico in 1973.
I also talked to a forest service guy who showed me pics of more then one grizzly at/ near the Blue primitive area lookout tower. He worked it in early 1970s.
I've never seen one south of Banff myself

NRA Benefactor Member

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Natives routinely kill polar bears , which can weigh as much as brown bears (1400-1600 #) , with 223’s !

Any idea on what type of bullet? Thanks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake

Any idea on what type of bullet? Thanks.
IME 55gr FMJ, though one fellow from Barrow told me the Winchester 55gr SP 223 and 222 ammo was very good stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Reminiscing at the Campfire, like sitting around the old pot bellied stove at the general store and talking about grizzlies, is a good way to spend a Cold January day.

When I was a kid, we hunted and killed everything with a rifle we already had. I never knew there was any other guns besides a 22, a 25-35, a 30-06 and a 410 single shot. We also never even thought of getting a new gun to hunt something with, we already had 4 choices.

We had grizzly bears around our cabin all summer and grizzly sightings were almost daily in our yard in the evenings. We would show all our visitors the bears when they would come into our trash pit in the evening. We lived as people did in the 1880’s all summer with a wood stove for cooking, a well for water and an outhouse for pooping. We had a garbage pit, where we threw all our trash that wouldn’t burn and it attracted the bears.

I worked in town at a grocery store and would bring home scraps from the meat shop once in awhile for our hungry bears. My mother told me to stop doing that, as the bears were so frequent, we might lose a kid or a dog to a bear.

I brought the last load of meat scraps and laced it all with enough ExLax to relieve a battalion of men and placed it in the pit. The next morning, all the scraps were gone and my brother and I tracked that bear for over 1/2 mile by the bear $hit in the woods. We never found the bear, but people brag about how they have killed grizzlies, but damn few ever killed one with ExLax…

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I recently read where writer Tyler Freel with Outdoor Life killed an interior grizzly with a 6.5 CM, but then again, he's killed lots, including one with a homemade bow and flint tipped arrow.
Everybody knows that a 6.5 CreedmoreNmore can kill anything on planet earth at any distance. C'mon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hosea Sarber, SE Alaska Guide and Warden used a .270 right up into the 50s-60s until he disappeared, possibly without carrying a rifle. It does pay to carry something
that will work when the chips are down, even a handgun-like a 45 Colt with 270-300 gr bullets.
About 5 years ago a guide out of Jackson, WY. was guiding a FL. bow hunter after elk. They were successful late, and arrived with horses early next morning-in time to find the elk taken over by a grizzly
and half grown cub. Hunter mauled and guide killed leaving a family. Just recently a cabin owner was killed by a 270 lb black bear near Prescott, Arizona. Jack O'Connor killed at least one or two grizzlies
with a 270 in the 1940s.
Ben Lilly shot grizzlies in Mexico and NM-along the Blue/White Mtns Arizona during the early 1900s with an 1886 rifle in 33 WCF. WDM Bell used a Rigby 275 in Africa, but also used a 303 Enfield and a
318 Westley Richards rifle, a caliber very close to the 30-06 . Good bullet placement seems to me highly important, and the rifle one has in his hands when the bear shows up is his "bear rifle".

All that said, the grizzly is a smart animal and deserves respect. William Wright, author of "The Grizzly Bear" started out as a hunter/guide and became a naturalist with a camera. His first bear was shot with a broken .44 Winchester and a pocketknife. He respected the grizzly as did Aldo Leopold, who commented on the last Grizzly killed on Escudilla Mtn in N. Arizona, stating that it was "only a mountain now".

Last edited by 450Fuller; 01/28/24.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The .375 H&H works great on everything, except my shoulder. I've been told by PHs in Africa on two hunts people seem to do MUCH better with the 9.3 x 62 vs the .375 H&H because of approx. 15 percent less recoil. Also, no one can see any difference in the killing power of the 9.3 vs the .375 calibers. I'll admit it, darn it, I am a wussy when it comes to recoil. I do not like the recoil of the big powder capacity magnums. This is why I like the 30-06 and 57mm length cases. They just get the job done, good velocity, and accurate. I just do not like magnum recoil.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Mule Deer and all others. Does anyone know of any actual brown/grizzly bear kills from approximately 40-50 years ago to 2023? This is a subject of 30-06 vs .270 Win ability to kill browns and grizzly bears that has been argued for almost one hundred years. Does anyone have any stories about .270 Win kills on the BIG
bears? Jack O'Connor killed two grizzly bears if memory is correct.
Also, Charles Sheldon back around 1900 to early 1920s, killed approximately 80 grizzly and brown bears with a 160gr 6.5 manlicher schoenaur rifle. Hmmmm!

Roanmtn (Roan Mountain, TN)

O'Connor wrote the following on the .270, .30-06, and brown bears:

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Which is why I eventually sold my .375s--and also my .338 Winchester Magnum. Bought my first 9.3x62 in 2001, and after hunting with it in places from Alaska to Africa discovered I wasn't taking either the .338 or .375 hunting anymore. (Of course, I eventually succumbed to another .375, a pre-'64 Model 70 a year or so ago....)

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Reminiscing at the Campfire, like sitting around the old pot bellied stove at the general store and talking about grizzlies, is a good way to spend a Cold January day.

When I was a kid, we hunted and killed everything with a rifle we already had. I never knew there was any other guns besides a 22, a 25-35, a 30-06 and a 410 single shot. We also never even thought of getting a new gun to hunt something with, we already had 4 choices.

We had grizzly bears around our cabin all summer and grizzly sightings were almost daily in our yard in the evenings. We would show all our visitors the bears when they would come into our trash pit in the evening. We lived as people did in the 1880’s all summer with a wood stove for cooking, a well for water and an outhouse for pooping. We had a garbage pit, where we threw all our trash that wouldn’t burn and it attracted the bears.

I worked in town at a grocery store and would bring home scraps from the meat shop once in awhile for our hungry bears. My mother told me to stop doing that, as the bears were so frequent, we might lose a kid or a dog to a bear.

I brought the last load of meat scraps and laced it all with enough ExLax to relieve a battalion of men and placed it in the pit. The next morning, all the scraps were gone and my brother and I tracked that bear for over 1/2 mile by the bear $hit in the woods. We never found the bear, but people brag about how they have killed grizzlies, but damn few ever killed one with ExLax…

You know Shrapnel....you tell some of the greatest events having lived it, over so much of the BS from those who have no clue. Reminds me of my childhood...only on the east coast and without the bears

Last edited by Bobcat85; 03/01/24.
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi Swamplord.....Phil Shoemaker replied back to me that a bear guide he knew very well used a .270 Win for very many years guiding his bear clients. No problems! However, I believe confidence is very important in hunting dangerous game. If a larger caliber bullet makes one more confident, yes...use it.
I've used the .270 over a lifetime, literally. I've seen it's performance and have utter confidence it it with good bullets. IIRC, Jack O'Connor recommended choosing proper bullets for the .270 Win and other calibers.

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer I am jealous of your pre 64 .375 Win. But I need not be. I have a beautiful restocked CZ 550 American with AA grade walnut from Richards Microfit Stocks(just don't like .375 H&H recoil). The 9.3 is very nice...However, not an ultra expensive status quo gunsmith creation of art. It has a very nice new recoil pad that has reduced much recoil. It has killed two elephants, five cape buffalos, one lion, and uncountable warthogs (one shot kills all). I lost count of the small antelope to large Eland. All Killed with one shot. I only killed a elephant and cape buffalo for dangerous game. All the other animals were harvested by two hunters whose rifles did not arrive in Zimbabwe and South Africa many days later. Their hunt and mine was almost over when their rifles finally arrived in camp. Both the other guys went to the 9.3 x 62 upon return to Belgium and Pennsylvania. Harsh .375 recoil and sufficient performance of the 9.3 was the reason the .375s were traded in. I used a 26" barreled.270 Win. This also kept the recoil down. Used a 140 Barnes TSX at 3150 fps. This 9.3 has given one half inch accuracy with the Nosler 250gr Ballistic Tip Bullet. The 286gr Barnes TSX and solid both(with factory stock) gave three quarters in. groups. Haven't tried the new stock yet. The old stock was stolen.

Last edited by roanmtn; 03/01/24. Reason: Diction and spelling

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Read this post very late in the session and enjoyed it greatly. Spent many enjoyable years in Alaska, never deliberately hunted /grizzly with my 270, but was forced to l kill an interior , smallish boar, grizzly on a sheep hunt. One frontal shot at probably 10 or less yards, with 130 grain nosler, hand loaded with 62 grains surplus 4831 did the trick, though followed it up with a couple of insurance hits. We didn ‘t do an autopsy on him but none of the hit’s exited. Became very good friends withEd Stevenson a legendary bear guide ,modern day mountain man, who many on the site, including Phil S, know well, Ed gravitated to large bore lever guns for his back up including marlin 1895’s in 45/70, rechambered Winchester model 86’s and 71, and 95’s. He collaborated at great length with the other legendary Alaskan and gunsmith Bill Fuller of coopers landing on some of Fuller’s great stopping calibers. If I remember right Ed finally narrowed his choice down to the great marlin 1895 in 45/70 stoked with his favorite 400 grain load. I visited Ed several times at both his sheep river camps and gravina river guide areas, though never actually hunted with him had many a enjoyable hours sharing his stories. Ed loved to impress me with his prowess with the lever gun, I believe he could run a lever gun like no man alive. Last I talked to Ed was several years ago , after I retired in 98 , and moved back to Wyoming, after we exchange a couple of good natured insults Ed mentioned he let another bear get ahold of him(as he always put it) . As he related a smallish brown chose to charge him , knocked him down and wrestled him around for awhile then took off unscathed. This scrimish didn’t require hospitalization contrary to another encounter he had years earlier, where the big brown not only chewed him a lot but damn near downed him in the gravina river until his client killed him . That encounter put him in the hospital for a few days and as he told me later “ you know Don that took a little while to get out of my head” typical Ed’s matter of fact way of relating significant events a normal man would consider a life altering event , Regrettably Ed passed a few years ago and with him a tremendous amount of Alaskan lore. RIP my friend

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mohall57... I am age 72 and know that an age/era is passing with each year that I live. Our older, experienced outdoor people are dying, new types of guns, a younger generation is different, it is more expensive to hunt( $2000 out of state Wyoming), can't get ammo or reloading supplies. It just goes on and on, all of these woes. Things have changed. However, I have my memories and I cherish the memories.

Glenn Campbell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mohall57... I am age 72 and know that an age/era is passing with each year that I live. Our older, experienced outdoor people are dying, new types of guns, a younger generation is different, it is more expensive to hunt( $2000 out of state Wyoming), can't get ammo or reloading supplies. It just goes on and on, all of these woes. Things have changed. However, I have my memories and I cherish the memories.

Exactly, hunting was our cheap entertainment.
No big expenses, just head out the door and up the mountain.
Luckily, I can still hunt this way .
I actually made money during hunting season working for the various outfitter's First with odd jobs, then cutting trail and setup. Finally as a Guide.
In my 20's we began travelling north for stone sheep, that was done on the cheap as well.
Hunting, fishing , hockey, ball and rodeo were cheap to pursue.
Oh yeah, and a Husky.270, spacemaster spotting scope and heavy10x 50 bins around my neck.
Anyone remember Trapper Nelson # 3 packboards?

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Absolutely I remember the trapper Nelson, I still have two, for old time sake, one with bag other without. Damn they were hard on the back and shoulders. The darn things are worth some money now, with collectors of memoribrlyia (sp). I
Have memories all right, as I bet you do as well. Young tough and dumb but bet you , given the chances would do it all over again, as would . Regards buddy

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Comerad you perhaps work for Miles and Sherry Bradford out of Dease lake? Or know them! You might have know their boy Leland before he was killed in the auto accident down your way.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Dwayne I've reread your story a good many times. I've been educated here at the variety of calibers used to take the giant brown bears of the far north. Bullet placement in all of these stories is the big secret for all these calibers. But your story is a piece of history now long, long gone. This is a story that brings out a sentimental emotion in me. Thanks for the memories from a long, long time ago. This and other stories made Thanksgiving of 2023 SPECIAL for me. I was so excited about all of these stories.

Glenn---roanmtn(Roan Mountain, TN)

Glenn Campbell
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Mule Deer I am jealous of your pre 64 .375 Win. But I need not be. I have a beautiful restocked CZ 550 American with AA grade walnut from Richards Microfit Stocks(just don't like .375 H&H recoil). The 9.3 is very nice...However, not an ultra expensive status quo gunsmith creation of art. It has a very nice new recoil pad that has reduced much recoil. It has killed two elephants, five cape buffalos, one lion, and uncountable warthogs (one shot kills all). I lost count of the small antelope to large Eland. All Killed with one shot. I only killed a elephant and cape buffalo for dangerous game. All the other animals were harvested by two hunters whose rifles did not arrive in Zimbabwe and South Africa many days later. Their hunt and mine was almost over when their rifles finally arrived in camp. Both the other guys went to the 9.3 x 62 upon return to Belgium and Pennsylvania. Harsh .375 recoil and sufficient performance of the 9.3 was the reason the .375s were traded in. I used a 26" barreled.270 Win. This also kept the recoil down. Used a 140 Barnes TSX at 3150 fps. This 9.3 has given one half inch accuracy with the Nosler 250gr Ballistic Tip Bullet. The 286gr Barnes TSX and solid both(with factory stock) gave three quarters in. groups. Haven't tried the new stock yet. The old stock was stolen.

You took an elephant with a 9.3?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, she used Longs--and shot the bear in the head with the rest of the rounds she had to make sure.

My father, who grew up partly on a central Montana homestead during the Great Depression, was also a believer in Longs, because they looked just as long as Long Rifles. He always thought I was nuts for spending the extra money for Long Rifles with my paper-route money.....
I am going by memory...weren't the longs around 29 grains? This is a long, long time ago.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yep! One shot between between the eye and the ear from the left side of the head. Penetrated through and exited on right side of skull. Mule Deer, compared to the rest of us, is the real 9.3 x 62 guy with a great deal of experience. I've read the history, on the 9.3 x 62 from a lot of sources. Look up Ganyana 9.3 x 62 and you will read a very enjoyable article about it. The 9.3 x 62 and the .375 H&H Magnum are always discussed in African literature. Don Heath(GANYANA) a professional PH, recently deceased, was very experienced with the 9.3 and was instrumental, I have read, for the 9.3 being legal to hunt dangerous game in Zimbabwe. He killed a lot of elephants with the 9.3 x 62. The 9.3 was the king of the all purpose rifles until WW2 messed up the Mauser factory and ammunition supplies. No one could get ammo or new rifles. Winchester was making .375 rifles at affordable prices. Around 1957 most African countries stipulated the .375 would be the smallest caliber for dangerous game. A great many Winchester .375s were imported and the 9.3 rifles were put into the closet and forgotten. CZ later corrected this and manufactured affordable 9.3 x 62 rifles for Africa.Too many European royal sons were killed by inadequate calibers not stopping dangerous game. However, the 9.3 was gifted a reputation for deadly killing power on all African game, including elephant and cape buffalo. I also killed a cape buffalo, one shot. The 286gr Barnes TSX took out the top of the heart, messed up the plumbing on top of heart
He ran about forty of my long paces(short legs). This CZ 550 American was borrowed by two other hunters whose rifles were not delivered with them in Zimbabwe.

Glenn Campbell
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Gosh, that's funny !!!!!!!!!

"not too grumpy"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mohall57
Comerad you perhaps work for Miles and Sherry Bradford out of Dease lake? Or know them! You might have know their boy Leland before he was killed in the auto accident down your way.
I only worked for one oufitter ,a little west of Dease Lake...it wasn't those folks. I don't recall Leland's death either. Sorry about that.
I would go up north to hunt prior to our season in the East Kootenays for myself. I would work then for an outfitter from Sept to late Nov, they were all 10 day, horseback hunts.
I still have a #2 & #3 trapper Nelson. The #3 has a bag.. Iater graduated to a alluminum / alloy backpoard
One thing for sure, if you used a Trapper Nelson...you remember it. Thanks for helping share the memory

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was talking to Joe Darbyshire today. He killed a grizz orb two with his 270 Wby.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you spend much time walking or fishing in grizzly or brown country, a heavy caliber lever action becomes a companion. Fast into action, fast on repeat shots. I have an original 1950s pre-64 M-70 in 375 H&H-but
the original pre-war Model 71s both in 450 AK and 450 Fuller get carried regularly. Ed and Phil Shoemaker agree on lever action rifles. Used to carry an ancient TD 1895 in 405. Allen Hasselborg carried one for decades.
Bolt guns work, but are slow in the thick bush. Bears generally require a second shot after anchoring...
A couple were killed in Banf N.P. Canada not long ago. Bear spray depends on wind direction...and the bear. Best have a back up that will work...I carry also a 45 Colt Ruger with 300 gr bullets. Be prepared.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Book on Glasser is great!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I was talking to Joe Darbyshire today. He killed a grizz orb two with his 270 Wby.

I've had most of the Weatherby cartridges and the .270 Weatherby is the one I remember that appeared to have a noticeable increase in wallop over the standard cartridge. I interpreted that as a meaningful increase in pushing the standard bullet designs of the day to their limits of performance. Expansion over penetration was more the goal back then, but with heavier bullets it also performed well.

We had a writer in Oz called Dick Euson who was regularly on the cover with buffalo he had taken with his .270 Weatherby, using 150 or 160gn Partitions. That case size has a lot of merit in several calibers as around 70ish grains of powder seems to suit a lot of calibers from .257 up.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For a number of years I had a FFL & a close friend decided to collect WBY Mark V's in all the WBY calibers. This took several years to secure all of them, ""money & finding them." My fee to him was to fire each rifle & keep one unfired round in each Caliber. I fired them standing, "much more comfortable". The 378, & up had noticable recoil !! DEFINITELY A FUN PROJECT !!!

Last edited by oldwoody2; 03/15/24. Reason: spelling

"not too grumpy"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
If you spend much time walking or fishing in grizzly or brown country, a heavy caliber lever action becomes a companion. Fast into action, fast on repeat shots. I have an original 1950s pre-64 M-70 in 375 H&H-but
the original pre-war Model 71s both in 450 AK and 450 Fuller get carried regularly. Ed and Phil Shoemaker agree on lever action rifles. Used to carry an ancient TD 1895 in 405. Allen Hasselborg carried one for decades.
Bolt guns work, but are slow in the thick bush. Bears generally require a second shot after anchoring...
A couple were killed in Banf N.P. Canada not long ago. Bear spray depends on wind direction...and the bear. Best have a back up that will work...I carry also a 45 Colt Ruger with 300 gr bullets. Be prepared.
I am also experienced with Grizzly kills.
I like leverguns alot.
The Sweetest I have is a .450 Marlin, sends a punishing ball forward and a cowkick backwards.
It has a low power scoutscope allowing 2 eyes open while sighting.
Just needs a little practice.
The .270 with 160 Partitions and scoutscope or ironsights is almost equal on the frontend, way easier on the back- a springtime calfkick. Recovering easily for a follow up .
Hey, this is a .270 wcf/ Grizzly thread. Cheers

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,927
Posts18,479,845
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.