Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18728552 09/04/23
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I’m going to start down that rabbit hole. Have read quite a bit including Gierich’s book on bamboo rods and have “Casting a Spell” up next. I have the “Chasing The Taper” movie on order. I’d like to start with an older rod or two that are fishable without the collector price tags but better quality than the bottom end trade rods. I will likely eventually buy a rod from a current maker. Fishing will be small to medium stream dry or dry dropper rigs preferably with an 8-8.5’ rod casting a 4 or 5 weight line. Any recommendations other than don’t do it?

Thanks.

Frank

Last edited by fshaw; 09/04/23.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Budget?

I would probably start out with a middle-of-the-road Orvis Impregnated, 8' 5wt. Not terribly expensive, nice action, not as good as some rods but better than most. Good all-arounder.

Of course, once you've ventured down this rabbit hole you'll have surrendered your soul to the devil!

"Casting a Spell" is an excellent read.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Gnoahhh,

Thank you for the reply. I’ve been thinking along the same thoughts as your recommendation. The Orvis rods, when you can find them, are a reasonable buy in the given market.

My budget is reasonably open. I got a payout on unused sick time when I retired a couple years ago that’s just been sitting around. I’m thinking it’s time to squander some while I’m still healthy enough to enjoy it. Do you have any experience with current rod makers who have a reasonably short wait time, say a year or so?

Finally, in Gierach’s book he seems to like some of the Granger and a few of the Heddon rods. Phillipson gets some mention as well. Any experience there?

I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for your help with this.

Frank

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Following this with interest as I have an old Heddon (IIRC) that I will use some day on a nice sized stream, just because! My grandfather used it so using it again will allow me to fish with him, in spirit anyways!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Granger, Heddon, Phillipson all made some good rods, and they all made some stinkers. Best approach is to research what the "hive" has to say about the different models - and then cast with one you select before buying (or at least have a no-argument return policy if it doesn't suit you). As for current custom builders and their lead times, I can't say. I'm stuck in the past!!

I reached out to a guy with more insight than what I have to join this discussion. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/05/23.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are new to bamboo and used to faster casting rods I would get a 8.5-ft 3/2 South Bend 346 and cast DT 5 on it all day long. They are good rods and don’t command the premium that “higher end” brands such as Grangers, Phillipsons, Heddons and Orvis’ do. Then next year if you are still into it get one of those too. But you’ll still like the 346.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Check this site out..
Headwaters Bamboo..

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hopefully it was a good payout, this could get expensive laugh

I don't follow the bamboo market so can't help with recommendations. I've cast a few Per Brandin rods though that were absolutely exquisite....with a price tag to match

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by S99VG
If you are new to bamboo and used to faster casting rods I would get a 8.5-ft 3/2 South Bend 346 and cast DT 5 on it all day long. They are good rods and don’t command the premium that “higher end” brands such as Grangers, Phillipsons, Heddons and Orvis’ do. Then next year if you are still into it get one of those too. But you’ll still like the 346.

Another good rod would be a Horrocks Ibbotson Cascade, or anything in their line starting from the Cascade up. The Cascade was an impregnated rod. I would stay away from Montague, although their upper end rods were good. However, Montagues seem to suffer delamination and ferrule splits more than other makes. On the other hand I have seen a number of Grangers, Phillipsons and Heddons that all stood up pretty well over time given they were taken care of. The quality of manufacture on these rods were a cut above.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
S99VG, thanks for the recommendations. There is a local tackle collector that may have a SB 346. We live in a rural area of the Adirondacks so he has accumulated a number of “blue collar” rods and his prices are right. I’ll check with him and start looking for one. Thanks for the info on the Montagues, there are a few of them around here.

I’ve looked online for an Orvis Battenkill as Gnoahhh recommended but it looks like they get gobbled up pretty quickly.

I appreciate your help.

Frank

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by fshaw
S99VG, thanks for the recommendations. There is a local tackle collector that may have a SB 346. We live in a rural area of the Adirondacks so he has accumulated a number of “blue collar” rods and his prices are right. I’ll check with him and start looking for one. Thanks for the info on the Montagues, there are a few of them around here.

I’ve looked online for an Orvis Battenkill as Gnoahhh recommended but it looks like they get gobbled up pretty quickly.

I appreciate your help.

Frank

When sizing up a used rod be sure that all four sections of a 3/2 are of equal and full length, the guides are not rusted and that the wraps are all secure and not coming apart. Also be sure that the ferrules are tightly secured to the rod. You will need to assemble the rod and gently flex it to do this. When flexing the rod listen and feel for clicking at the ferrule stations. That could be an indicator of a loose ferrule needing to be reset. It too could be an indicator of a slightly less than desirable ferrule to ferrule fit. That problem can be remedied by using a little bees wax on the male end of the ferrule when assembling the rod. However, be sure to keep the ferrules clean. Also, make sure none of the strips are delaminating - which doesn't seem to be a big issue with the SBs I've looked at. And its also nice to get the original tube and sock with the rod.

I have a 346 I rebuilt several years ago and it is a favorite. I have other rods that are nicer in construction and finish but that 346 still holds a special place in my "accumulation." The dark colored cane SBs tend to be a bit on the stiff side so I consider it an ideal rod if you happen to be fishing a windy canyon in the early or late hours of the day. Good luck in your search and feel free dropping me a PM if you have any questions.

Bamboo fly rods can be addicting and a good SB 346 or HI Cascade or any equivalent model from any other maker could, without caution, prove to be your "gateway" drug. Have fun!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
S99VG, thank you for your generous offer to OM. I will take you up on it. I will also heed your advice above.

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Gnoahhh, you are right, Casting a Spell is a wonderful read. I’m only a couple chapters in and am really enjoying it. I also picked up a copy of Engle’s book, Splitting Cane. Also very interesting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd recommend starting light. I've a Granger Aristocrat 8642 8.5' rod, and while nice, its weight gets a bit old at the end of a full day of casting. To my mind, rods 8' and under are where bamboo shines. Lots would disagree though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No disagreement here. My two favorite cane rods are a 7' 2/2 4wt with a fast action reminiscent of early carbon fibre rods, and a 6' 2/1 5wt that lays out line like a longer rod and is awfully handy on brush-choked small streams.

I started flyfishing with a ridiculously short cane rod (5' 2/2 5wt Orvis Mighty Mite), a stiff/fast little rod that people either hated or loved with little middle ground. I was a newbie who didn't know any better and mastered it out of ignorance. To this day I lean toward short-ish rods, and consider an eight-footer to be borderline unwieldy. That's to say only you can determine what rod "feels" best for you and your unique casting/fishing style and what you learned to fish with, tempered by the kind of environment you chase trout in. Try as many rods as you can lay hands on, and also don't forget how important it is to balance a given rod with a proper weight reel too. A heavy reel on a whispy little rod can throw balance/handling out of whack, and vice-versa.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll second South Bends. I have a 329 and a 290 and both are good rods, IMO. I also have an H&I Cascade. It's a good caster but for me with back issues, it's heavy.

I also have an Orvis, Madison Far & Fine, 7' 6", impregnated that has been a very pleasant rod.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not trying to hijack your post. But i have some bamboo rods listed in the classifieds.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 10/14/23.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
https://coldwatercollectibles.com/bamboo-rods/
Seems to have a good inventory that changes often. Nice guy and prices seem reasonable.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good luck with your hunt, I only have one, a 7 1/2' 4 weight

J
J
There is a web site that is dedicated to cane rods. I posted on looking for a entry levl rod. There are amateur builders out there that would be willing to sell you one reasonable. Now they are plain jane but I have bought 2 and I LOVE them. great way to get started.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,065
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.