Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, maybe some of you can help me with this. Especially AKWolverine!! I was thinking it would be nice to see some model 70's with different stock options. I'll list the few I have, or have had here. I know it gets confusing sometimes, as to even identify some stocks, like the winlites, Brown Precision powndR's, Bansners, high tech specialties etc. etc. Add some pictures and insight to this thread, if you don't mind. Thanks in advance for contributing. I'll be the first to start it off. Thanks!!!

Brown Precision PoundR stocks on my favorite magnums. Pre 64 3338wm and 300wby:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hs Precision varmint stock on 1996 308 Heavy Varmint model 70:

Pre 64 pattern Mcmillan swirly coyote bomber on pre 64 375H&H:

Mcmillan Supergrade on pre 64 30-06 featherweight:
That stock weighs in at 34 oz's, so it's not a lightweight by any means.

Mcmillan Hunters edge on a first year BACO Extreme weather 30-06:

Mcmillan Hunters compact standard fill pre 64 270 fwt:

Older Bansner on Winchester 6 digit classic 30-06 cerakoted sniper grey:

Pacific Research XTR sporter 300WBY:

That is my 10 picture limit per post. Lets see some of your stocks, maybe both sides of the stocks and good pics of the grip angle and checkering panels. Etc. etc. I may show some of those features in the next post.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pacific Research cheek piece:

Grip and checkering panel on the Pacific Research:

Brown pounder shown port side with cheek piece. Notice the long slender grip:

Port side of Mcmillan Hunters Compact swirly. Notice there is no cheek piece:

Mcmillan Pre 64 montecarlo pattern, oldstyle coyote bomber colors, port side. 30-06 fwt:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very nice collection.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bansner, pre64 M70 , 6.5-06 #1 McGowen barrel

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Son of mines lightweight 243

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
My lightweight 30-06

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
AKWolverine must be out. I know he has some ( a lot) of stocks and pictures to share, and good explanations. Just wanting to see some different aftermarket stocks, maybe both sides of them to show the cheek piece and grip angle, checkering if they have it. That way we can see the differences between them. Anyone have a Mcmillan bridges pattern, Winlite, or other one they care to share? Thanks.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Bansner, pre64 M70 , 6.5-06 #1 McGowen barrel

Sweet rifle buddy. How's the weight and balance? Looks great. Did you do the work to fit the barreled action to the stock? I remember the Bansner I had was a bear. Had to remove a lot of material to get the action centered in the stock, then glass bed it. I liked the ergo's for shooting off the bench and prone, as it really helped to absorb the recoil. What vintage is your stock? I know Bansner went through some changes with management etc. Do you know or can you share some of that history with us? That's kind of what my intentions were when I started this thread. Thanks!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BSA,

The weight as pictured is about 7.6 lbs and balance seems good. The #1 contour barrel is cut to 22". The lightweight of the stock does not make it butt heavy.
I got this stock just before Bansner took back production, maybe 4 years ago?. The previous owner was good to deal with and wait time was maybe 6 weeks, much faster than McMillan.
Bedding was straightforward, not as easy as a McMillan, but I consider all synthetics easy compared to my wood stocks. This is my third Bansner and they have all been great.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
BSA,

The weight as pictured is about 7.6 lbs and balance seems good. The #1 contour barrel is cut to 22". The lightweight of the stock does not make it butt heavy.
I got this stock just before Bansner took back production, maybe 4 years ago?. The previous owner was good to deal with and wait time was maybe 6 weeks, much faster than McMillan.
Bedding was straightforward, not as easy as a McMillan, but I consider all synthetics easy compared to my wood stocks. This is my third Bansner and they have all been great.

Very nice well thought out rifle right there buddy. I like the barrel contour, as I've seen some skinny barrels shoot good too. I'm betting yours shoots very well. Thanks for sharing.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ugh, tried for about 20 mins to post some pics but I couldn’t make it happen.

One of the best stock finds I made was to use a mini carbine stock to turn a classic stainless feathweight 243 into an excellent youth-sized rifle. Darn near perfect.

A question though - I have a classic compact 7mm-08 that I haven’t been able to get to shoot. The muzzle blast on that little thing (20” barrel) is obnoxious. I have a classic stainless 270 featherweight that is much more pleasant.

Did Winchester ever make a youth-stocked long action featherweight? Thinking if I could find a stock like that, I could put it on the 270 and unload the 7mm-08.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slope77
Ugh, tried for about 20 mins to post some pics but I couldn’t make it happen.

One of the best stock finds I made was to use a mini carbine stock to turn a classic stainless feathweight 243 into an excellent youth-sized rifle. Darn near perfect.

A question though - I have a classic compact 7mm-08 that I haven’t been able to get to shoot. The muzzle blast on that little thing (20” barrel) is obnoxious. I have a classic stainless 270 featherweight that is much more pleasant.

Did Winchester ever make a youth-stocked long action featherweight? Thinking if I could find a stock like that, I could put it on the 270 and unload the 7mm-08.

You could always cut the stock down, or buy a stock and cut it down. The LOP is not really that much different on a compact model. Maybe 1/2"? The classic compact 7mm-08 probably just needs to be properly glass bedded, and it should shoot just fine. I have one in 243 win, and the short barrel is not that obnoxious. I'm sure the little 7 is not much different.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've got a NIB Genuine Winchester "Featherweight Custom Grade" LA stock, Beautiful AAA Wood, factory installed Red Pachmayr Pad, 2 screw Super Grade sling swivels... bought it during the troubles (09/10) from some cat had a few of em... can't decide if i wanna put it on my baco 7x57 or 280 FW, or maybe even pick up something else for it... can't post pics... i'd have to go to internet school to learn that schit...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.