Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Laid back in my recliner out in the sticks 150 yards back off the road. My good old sister and her husband are driving up from Nashville. My son and one daughter are dropping by to eat chili with us this afternoon. My other daughter, her husband and my toddler grandson are stopping in tomorrow. I just got back from buying enough red beer to keep everybody jocular for the rest of the week. Food is stacked everywhere.

My Labrador is sitting beside me eatin' on a petrified pig ear.

I might have to go back to the likki sto' and pick up a 750ml of potato vodka to chill and plunk down in the middle of the Thanksgiving dinner table like my Polish/Russian in laws used to do before they all up and died.

"Na Zdrowie!" (pronounced "nostrovia!) they'd holler before pouring drinks all around.

I've got a set of cut crystal Russian shot glasses around here somewhere. I need to dig them out.

I even got out a jar of Mother's Mag Wheel polish and shined up that sterling silverware that my wife bought at an estate sale here while back.

Yeah,....we puttin' the big pot in the little one here this week--gonna be fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Poles do not celebrate thankgiving.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slavek

Hey dumbass - if a Pole moves to the US or Canada - they most certainly do celebrate it as a new American/Canadian, all be it with some of their own local flavor. His in-laws, IIRC are here, not there.

Me

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Does that mean my wife has to shut everything down and tell everybody to go home?

She's going to be disappointed.

By the way, you need to stop in on the Sunny Side area of Toronto on the second Monday of October if you want to see Poles celebrating Thanksgiving.

Roncesvalles Avenue would be optimum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a difference between a Pole and someone of polish descent.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hey dumbass - someone from Poland moving to Canada/USA is still a Pole even tho they're living in the best 2 N. American countries and can/do celebrate Thanksgiving, all be it with their own local flavor.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

Hey dumbass -

It is pronounced "Do-Moss" in this country. smile

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hold on to that good feeling. It's what its all about. Happy for you.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
There going to be any firearms shooting, aka, trigger therapy?

GOA
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 160user

Hey dumbass -

It is pronounced "Do-Moss" in this country. smile

"Dummace" in Eastern Kentucky.

Context:

"Why does Claudette have that treble hook stuck through the side of her nose?"

"She's a dummace".

"Oh".

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

My 95 year old grandmother was born in Poland and celebrates Thanksgiving with us and long before us. What exactly is your ever loving point?

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
There going to be any firearms shooting, aka, trigger therapy?

Nah. Up on a hill here with horses and cows everywhere. I go to the club to go shooting and I'll probably be too deep into the libations to travel.

I could shoot out here if I wanted to. There's no law against it. But with my luck I'd tag a Thoroughbred and have to blow up my 401K to pay for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hey dumbass - if a Pole moves to the US or Canada - they most certainly do celebrate it as a new American/Canadian, all be it with some of their own local flavor. His in-laws, IIRC are here, not there.
X2

Polack’s around here tend to be very patriotic and family oriented and big into outdoor sports, farming, and hunting.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Polish festival on Roncesvalle Avenue, Toronto. Speaking English is optional.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey dumbass - someone from Poland moving to Canada/USA is still a Pole even tho they're living in the best 2 N. American countries and can/do celebrate Thanksgiving, all be it with their own local flavor.

That does not surprise me, they probably try to assimilate immediately so their representation and interests as a group equal ZERO. How many native Poles do you have in state legislatures, federal congress or senate? There are many millions of Americans of Polish descent, who in lobbies in US Congress for 🇵🇱?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds like the life of Riley.

What does “Na Zdrowie” mean in Polish or Russian?

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

That does not surprise me, they probably try to assimilate immediately so their representation and interests as a group equal ZERO. How many native Poles do you have in state legislatures, federal congress or senate? There are many millions of Americans of Polish descent, who in lobbies in US Congress for 🇵🇱?

There are and should only be one people in America, Americans. If one wants to lobby for Poles, move back to Poland.

We should all be AMERICANS.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Dumbass - this isn't about Congress or lobbying - it's about Poles, immigrants celebrating Thanksgiving, be it Canadian or US. Something you claimed they do not do. Moron.

But we'll pretend not to see the Polish American Congress with 20 National organizations under it and 41 different divisions and chapters. Or the Polish National Alliance with 300k members and founded in 1880. We'll just ignore that. And ignore the 17 cities and 7 counties in the US named after Casimir Pulaski (I grew up 10 minutes from one named after him and a childhood friend is now the principal of that town's high school). You know Casimir right? No google peeking. Father of the American Calvary? That Casimir?

Yes, the Poles are well ingrained in US history, culture and politics. 161 American politicians of Polish descent in our history - that is, politicians on the large stage, doesn't count the local politics.

Me

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Sounds like the life of Riley.

What does “Na Zdrowie” mean in Polish or Russian?

"To health", specifically. But it reality it's pretty much the equivalent of "Cheers".

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I grew up hearing Pollock jokes and assumed Poles were dumb. Turns out one of the smartest guys I ever met is of Polish descent. I guess I was the dumb one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (16gage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,858
Posts18,497,114
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.