Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[i][/i]
Originally Posted by Exchipy
“I can’t get no satisfaction.”
Well if music lyrics are in play, I submit as the world champion, the incredible quadruple negative in the second line of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "All I Can Do Is Write About It"

"There ain't no place I ain't never gone"

Which is rendered slightly less indecipherable by the first, introductory (and blessedly explanatory) line:

"Well, this life that I live, took me everywhere..."

We all know what they mean but for the love of Pete, this is painful. I sat down once to try to actually break it down. by eliminating all the negatives, then adding them back in one at a tim.

"There ain't [is] no [a] place I ain't [have] never gone" = Somewhere there's a place I've been

"There ain't [is] no [a] place I ain't [have] never gone" = There is at least one place I haven't been

"There ain't no [a] place I ain't [have] never gone" = I have been everywhere. This would be the place to stop...

"There ain't no place I ain't [have] never gone" = I haven't been anywhere

"There ain't no place I ain't never gone" = Mission accomplished, I reckon.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are important differences between Vari-X IIIs, VX-IIIs, and VX-3s.

It's Hornady, not Hornaday.

Those errors irk me...as do a multitude of others.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
“Do you have a PITCHER of your kill?”

Huh?

Last edited by Crockett305; 11/21/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Well if music lyrics are in play, I submit as the world champion, the incredible quadruple negative in the second line of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "All I Can Do Is Write About It"

Which is rendered slightly less indecipherable by the first, introductory (and blessedly explanatory) line:

We all know what they mean but for the love of Pete, this is painful. I sat down once to try to actually break it down. by eliminating all the negatives, then adding them back in one at a tim.

"There ain't [is] no [a] place I ain't [have] never gone" = Somewhere there's a place I've been

"There ain't [is] no [a] place I ain't [have] never gone" = There is at least one place I haven't been

"There ain't no [a] place I ain't [have] never gone" = I have been everywhere. This would be the place to stop...

Well, “If your phone’s not ringing,
that’s me not calling you.”

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just saw a post with 'ate' twist barrel referenced..........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Just saw a post with 'ate' twist barrel referenced..........

Yummy!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Sammiches," AKA "Sammys".

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
This is a great thread. One of my favorites (as used by moronic newsreaders and anti-gun proponents here is SA) is “high caliber rifle”…

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[i][/i]

Nice job, TRexF16. I only get three negatives but maybe if we sat down together and went over it a few times! crazy There's also, the incomparable Bon Scott, "There ain't nothin' I don't ever do." Only Bon could pull that one off.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the things I've noticed over the past couple of years is how people post the statistics of variable rifle scopes.

Before then most "got it" that a variable had a range of magnifications from, say, 3x to 9x--which was denoted by 3-9x, the dash meaning the scope could be turned to anything from 3x to 9x. (This was followed by the objective diameter, as in 40 for 40mm.)

But more recently variables usually are given an "x" between the magnifications, as in 3x9x40. In the overall scheme of things this isn't a big deal, but it's an interesting change.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
[i][/i]

Nice job, TRexF16. I only get three negatives but maybe if we sat down together and went over it a few times! crazy There's also, the incomparable Bon Scott, "There ain't nothin' I don't ever do." Only Bon could pull that one off.

If Bon had simply replaced "ever" with 'never" he'd have tied Skynyrd for the Title.
The four negatives are "ain't no" and "ain't never."
Yours in literacy,
Rex

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I run my truck and shoot my rifles.

It could be argued that we FIRE rifles to shoot game. Shooting your rifle would get expensive.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hornaday.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
[i][/i]

If Bon had simply replaced "ever" with 'never" he'd have tied Skynyrd for the Title.
The four negatives are "ain't no" and "ain't never."
Yours in literacy,
Rex

It would seem that the fourth negative separates the men from the boys. Our own dithyrambic paladin of backwoods pigdin came to mind. Variations on "You girls ain't never not funny" are common but I seem to remember actually counting negatives in a recent post and coming up north of three. Spent a couple hours last night that I'll never get back reading his recent posts and can't find it. The woman asked a couple times what I was chuckling about, couldn't really explain...

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the things I've noticed over the past couple of years is how people post the statistics of variable rifle scopes.

Before then most "got it" that a variable had a range of magnifications from, say, 3x to 9x--which was denoted by 3-9x, the dash meaning the scope could be turned to anything from 3x to 9x. (This was followed by the objective diameter, as in 40 for 40mm.)

But more recently variables usually are given an "x" between the magnifications, as in 3x9x40. In the overall scheme of things this isn't a big deal, but it's an interesting change.

Agreed, it should be dash, not an X. I tend to notice when people use the acronym "LPVO" instead of the more keystroke efficient and descriptive "1-4", "1-6" or "1-8".

One thing that trips me up a little, is rifling rate of twist. I speaking, I would say "one in eight twist". What is the proper written, shortened version of that? 1in8 twist? 1:8 twist? 1/8 twist? I think that "1in8" is technically correct, but awkward. "1:8" seems right. "1/8" can't be technically correct, as taken literally, it is 0.125 rate of twist. Or is it acceptable to just write "8 twist"?

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I wish folks would spell the man's name correctly- it is "O'Connor" not "O'Conner". One thing that gets me is someone talking about all six cylinders of his revolver. I have some Ruger convertibles but they just have two cylinders.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
I wish folks would spell the man's name correctly- it is "O'Connor" not "O'Conner". One thing that gets me is someone talking about all six cylinders of his revolver. I have some Ruger convertibles but they just have two cylinders.

I saw a 6-cylinder Ruger for sale on Gunbroker just the other day. I would guess the guy was selling it to alleviate buyer's remorse. Had he waited until he found what he really wanted he coulda had a V-8.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 458MinMag
One thing that trips me up a little, is rifling rate of twist. I speaking, I would say "one in eight twist". What is the proper written, shortened version of that? 1in8 twist? 1:8 twist? 1/8 twist? I think that "1in8" is technically correct, but awkward. "1:8" seems right. "1/8" can't be technically correct, as taken literally, it is 0.125 rate of twist. Or is it acceptable to just write "8 twist"?

One in eight is just shorthand for one complete turn in 8 inches, which could conceivably be abbreviated to 1in8, or 1-in-8. I generally use 1-8 when describing that twist, and most of the magazines I've written for leave it that way. But one always changes it to 1:8. Consequently I don't think there is a single generally accepted "correct" way to express twist--partly because most European companies express it metrically.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 458MinMag

One in eight is just shorthand for one complete turn in 8 inches, which could conceivably be abbreviated to 1in8, or 1-in-8. I generally use 1-8 when describing that twist, and most of the magazines I've written for leave it that way. But one always changes it to 1:8. Consequently I don't think there is a single generally accepted "correct" way to express twist--partly because most European companies express it metrically.

I agree with the magazine editor who changes it to 1:8. The use of a colon is indicative of a ratio, and so 1:8 (or better still, 1:8") clearly means "1 for every 8". A hyphen on the other hand is capable of meaning "from 1 to 8", such as might be appropriate to the magnification range, or even "1 minus 8", but does not indicate a ratio.

Yours etc, pedants-r-us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

MD

Around here the Fudds will read a scope box that lists “4-12x40” magnification stats by stating “4 by 12 by 40.” Bugs me too. Not sure why it is so hard for me to get over.

Last edited by philgood80; 11/23/23.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.