Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Helping my son find a nice hunting scope, and we are looking at the 2x10 Burris Veracity. I never looked thru one so need a little help on quality of optics, thanks.

Last edited by Tim_in_TN; 11/22/23.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It's a first focal plane scope. If that's what you want, it's a very good option.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one, been moving it around from annAR to a 30-06 bolt rifle in the past week. It does not have an illuminated reticle, but it does have a side parallax adjustment. I like the E3 reticle. Being a 1st focal plane scope I found the reticle to be too small for my tastes at 2.5x to 5x. All dials on it are smoothh, never had an issue with mine. I have debated selling it this week to get a Steiner Predator version of the same scope.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Much depends on the use to which you will put it and cotis has a good point, concerning reticle size on lower power settings. Though I don’t have much experience with many of the other currently popular brands from which to judge relative image quality, I have been sufficiently pleased with the Burris Veracity line to have acquired 4 of them, a 2-10x42, two 4-20x50s, and a 5-25x50. The image quality through the Veracity 2-10x42 on my Contender 14” .22LR is certainly sufficient to permit the level of precision I seek:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]5 shots on 6” steel at 200 yards.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tim_in_TN
Helping my son find a nice hunting scope, and we are looking at the 2x10 Burris Veracity. I never looked thru one so need a little help on quality of optics, thanks.

You need a first focal plane scope for hunting? Inquiring minds thing, has me questioning your choice. For hunting, I'd choose a FFII 3-9X40 with the ballistic plex reticle. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not just because they are priced right, but because they absolutely work!!!

Maybe explain your criteria for wanting a first focal plane scope on your sons hunting rifle. Distances you plan on shooting, both near and far. Never hunted Tennesse, so I'm just wondering. I know in the dark timber where I hunt elk, I like the ability to turn the power down and still be able to see the reticle very boldly and clearly. You are not going to get that on a first focal plane scope like the one you are asking about.

For playing around/goofing around on steel targets way out there, and on max power, like exchippy shows pics of, the first focal plane scope will work just fine. But on a hunting rifle, not so much.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have no fear about the reticle or FFP. I bought one ~ 5 years ago to play with. I've run several tall target tests with it against a couple of NF SHVs I have on other rifles - it tracks well. I've had it on 3-4 different rifles and it has remained true.

I'll also say I'm not a serious 'dialer' meaning, that is not my primary shooting style. I enjoy shooting long range but keep all my shots at game inside 400 mainly because wind is a fickle bitch and all cartridges and loads require wind dope beyond 400 - I'm not that skilled at estimating the wind in areas I hunt. I've seen the wind blow 2 different directions between the end of the muzzle and the target. Wind flags were rather enlightening in that regard. So much so that I keep everything inside 400 yards. Others can do it well, I know I suck at it. I've accepted the fact that there are shot opportunities I have and will continue to pass on. Life is about tradeoffs, this is one I accept.

The reticle will be too small to use at anything less than ~ 4.5X. I keep mine set on 5. I live in TN and have used that scope effectively in TN, PA, CO, and WY. It is an entry level scope despite the price tag. I'd seriously look at an Athlon Helos if you can live with their reticle. I'm toying with buying one to try but I do like the Veracity Plex E3 reticle for hunting. To me it's fairly intuitive. The scope is also MOA which some dislike. I'm cool with MOA and have learned to adjust to that system. All told, you could do worse.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 2-10 Veracity that I like quite a bit. It's possible that the one you are looking at is an older SFP model. Mine is SFP. Either way, It will likely be a good scope for your intended use. I also have a larger Veracity SFP. I bought them both on closeout at Natchez. I'd be very inclined to hit Doug up about something in the Meopta line with a lighted reticle though. You'll be able to get that for about the same price as the Veracity. Any time southern woods hunting is on the menu, a lighted reticle makes a lot of sense. If you need it, it's there. Burris has a special knack for making FFP scopes with reticles that are useless in the lower part of their adjustment range. If the one you are looking at is FFP, consider that. If you kick up a deer that's moving, it'll be harder to bring it into the FOV at 5X than at 2X.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They were offered SFP and FFP.

I liked a lot about the 2-10 versions, but, ultimately, the BDC reticle was a deal breaker for me. If they offer a decent measuring FFP that's usable throughout the X range in the 2-10, I'll give one a more extensive test.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The two I had sucked . You could not turn the focus ring in either.The first was FFP and onlow power you did not have a usable reticle . I sent that one back to Natches and they sent me one in SFP . Same problem ,you could not adjust the focus ring . Both scopes had great glass and I liked the reticle ,but were a no go for me .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Appreciate the replies, may keep looking and a call to Doug for insight.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had one completely [bleep] the bed. They sent me a new one but it was sold nib.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Appreciate the replies, may keep looking and a call to Doug for insight.

Always a good option.
If nothing else, you'll learn what options are out there. And his prices are solid.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The newest Burris Veracity PH Riflescope 4-20x50mm - Wind MOA FFP has gotten excellent reviews and feedback
The 50 mm objective allows for maximum light collection
Index-matched, Hi-Lume® multicoating provides low-light performance and glare elimination.
Versatile 5-times zoom system provides a larger field of view at close ranges and better target acquisition at long ranges
Front focal plane reticle design allows the reticle size to increase or decrease as magnification is increased or decreased; trajectory compensation is always correct and proportional for the selected power setting; also called first focal plane or FFP
Progressively Thick Crosshairs (PTC) are very fine in the center and progressively thicker away from the center, for ultra-fast target engagement in low light at close ranges; effective at any magnification
Zero turn Stop adjustment knobs allow a quick, easy return to the original yardage.
Advanced windage and elevation adjustment matches the reticle’s MOA measurement system; adjustment is accurate, repeatable, fast, and easy
Ergonomic side focus allows for easy-to-reach parallax adjustment from 50 yds. to infinity.
Double internal spring-tension system allows the scope to hold zero through shock, recoil, and vibrations
Waterproof
Nitrogen-filled body tubes prevent internal fogging in the cold and rain
Precision-gauged and hand-fitted internal assemblies maintain a consistent point of impact through the magnification range, regardless of shock and vibration
Solid, 1-piece outer tube is stress-free and durable—withstands shock and vibration from even the heaviest-recoiling calibers
30 mm body tube

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had one a couple of years back. Wasn't impressed at all!

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I found a Zeiss Diavari 2.5x10 with #1 reticle in the classifieds should work well for us! Thanks all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
The newest Burris Veracity PH Riflescope 4-20x50mm - Wind MOA FFP has gotten excellent reviews and feedback
The 50 mm objective allows for maximum light collection
Index-matched, Hi-Lume® multicoating provides low-light performance and glare elimination.
Versatile 5-times zoom system provides a larger field of view at close ranges and better target acquisition at long ranges
Front focal plane reticle design allows the reticle size to increase or decrease as magnification is increased or decreased; trajectory compensation is always correct and proportional for the selected power setting; also called first focal plane or FFP
Progressively Thick Crosshairs (PTC) are very fine in the center and progressively thicker away from the center, for ultra-fast target engagement in low light at close ranges; effective at any magnification
Zero turn Stop adjustment knobs allow a quick, easy return to the original yardage.
Advanced windage and elevation adjustment matches the reticle’s MOA measurement system; adjustment is accurate, repeatable, fast, and easy
Ergonomic side focus allows for easy-to-reach parallax adjustment from 50 yds. to infinity.
Double internal spring-tension system allows the scope to hold zero through shock, recoil, and vibrations
Waterproof
Nitrogen-filled body tubes prevent internal fogging in the cold and rain
Precision-gauged and hand-fitted internal assemblies maintain a consistent point of impact through the magnification range, regardless of shock and vibration
Solid, 1-piece outer tube is stress-free and durable—withstands shock and vibration from even the heaviest-recoiling calibers
30 mm body tube

I’m a little leery of all those electronics in a scope, but I’m old and suspicious. Are they covered by the same warranty as the rest of the optic?

The B&L-ish reticle posts are a great idea, and seem to solve the FFP teensy reticle at low-power problem. I’m surprised more makers don’t use those.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've owned 4 or 5, we still have 3, the others stayed on rifles as I sold them. All worked exactly as they were supposed to, dialed correctly and held zero.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The idea of a FFP scope with a simple bdc reticle for a hunting scope seems like it would work great to me. It would get rid of what I don't like about SFP bdc scopes needing to be on max power. Now if someone could make one with a reticle that is useable for the entire power range.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You need a first focal plane scope for hunting? Inquiring minds thing, has me questioning your choice. For hunting, I'd choose a FFII 3-9X40 with the ballistic plex reticle. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not just because they are priced right, but because they absolutely work!!!

Maybe explain your criteria for wanting a first focal plane scope on your sons hunting rifle. Distances you plan on shooting, both near and far. Never hunted Tennesse, so I'm just wondering. I know in the dark timber where I hunt elk, I like the ability to turn the power down and still be able to see the reticle very boldly and clearly. You are not going to get that on a first focal plane scope like the one you are asking about.

For playing around/goofing around on steel targets way out there, and on max power, like exchippy shows pics of, the first focal plane scope will work just fine. But on a hunting rifle, not so much.
I don't really agree with this. While not a Veracity, my favorite hunting rifle wears a FFP scope and I absolutely love it. I went through a bunch of scopes before I settled in this one and I've been using it for a long time. You don't have to have a FFP scope by any means, but saying they don't work on a hunting rifle isn't true.

That said, I also own a Veracity (in a higher power) and a FF-II. Both are also great optics. I'm a huge fan of the FF-II on set it and forget it hunting rifles, so I don't want it to sound like saying anything negative about them. If I could get it in a FFP I'd like it even more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,638
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.