Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
No, not Snoopy's. There is a surviving, flying Sopwith Camel in New Zealand, complete with an original nine cylinder rotary engine. I'm no mechanic or pilot, but just from reading the comments, apparently the sputtering and farting is because the engine power is controlled by shutting down cylinders. So you could run on three, six, or nine cylinders depending on what you were trying to do.

According to the comments, the entire engine is rotating around a central shaft, and the gyroscopic force of the spinning engine literally tosses the plane all over the place. On startup, you can see the plane trying to flip over with the engine. Flying it was supposedly a nightmare. To turn counter to the engine rotation, you apparently had to shut down cylinders.

Pretty interesting video.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it had what was called a “blip switch” button on the controls. It had no throttle and only ran flat out. So to control power the pilot hit that switch and turned it off. Hit the switch and it goes off, release the switch and it comes back on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that depended on which engine was being used in it, they used Clerget, Gnome, Bentley and Le Rhone.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think all the rotary engines in WW I were that way.

Last edited by JoeBob; 11/22/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of those as a kid. Had the .049 engine and the hand control. I got dizzy going in circles with that thing.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys would actually go up and fight in those wood and canvas contraptions, with no parachutes yet.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Guys would actually go up and fight in those wood and canvas contraptions, with no parachutes yet.
No doubt. Combine the fact that those engines useful life span was pretty short. The engine was literally trying to shake the plane apart. All while dogfighting, often over enemy territory. This made for a pretty short life expectancy for a WWI pilot.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wow!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
And before they had mounted machine guns they would shoot at each other with pistols. Early machine guns were not equipped with interupters and pilots could and would shoot off their own props.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Imagine how fast yiu could roll it or turn it if you went the direction the engine was spinning.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, it had to start somewhere and some how. My experience with old tech includes civil war era sniper rifles, and flying a chopper with wooden rotor blades. 😎

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Strapping on an airplane to go do combat has never been a comfortable experience, whether it was a Sopwith over France, a Jug over Germany, a Sabre over Korea, a Hughes over the A Shau, or a Cessna over Cambodia. Flying combat means there will always be one final takeoff, whether you know it will be - or not.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I am totally surprised any are around and flying.
I would have expected any surviving originals were in museums.
The guy who owns it must either own a high end machine shop or is good friends with someone who does. I am sure that any engine parts would have to be made.

Bob R

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Might be a replica. Lots of those are about. They really aren’t that hard to make compared to even WW II aircraft. Almost within the realm of a home hobbyist.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I could find a video I saw this past year of a similar smaller engine on an early vehicle. Was amazing to me. I have trouble visualizing rotary or even radial design movements but found this that helps a bit. I still can't work out spark and such ( I guess it works like an old distributor) ??? But cool very very short video of how things are moving inside. Hope some will enjoy this.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Heard rumors of a Sopwith Moth being discovered in storage several years back somewhere in UK.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by auk1124
No, not Snoopy's. There is a surviving, flying Sopwith Camel in New Zealand, complete with an original nine cylinder rotary engine. I'm no mechanic or pilot, but just from reading the comments, apparently the sputtering and farting is because the engine power is controlled by shutting down cylinders. So you could run on three, six, or nine cylinders depending on what you were trying to do.

According to the comments, the entire engine is rotating around a central shaft, and the gyroscopic force of the spinning engine literally tosses the plane all over the place. On startup, you can see the plane trying to flip over with the engine. Flying it was supposedly a nightmare. To turn counter to the engine rotation, you apparently had to shut down cylinders.

Amazing. Must have been thrilling, but dang, the stones on the guys that went up in those things.

During this period, I wonder how much time the commanders of the air corps spent ensuring diversity amongst their crews. 🤔

Fear the crabcat.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Originally Posted by auk1124

Amazing. Must have been thrilling, but dang, the stones on the guys that went up in those things.

During this period, I wonder how much time the commanders of the air corps spent ensuring diversity amongst their crews. 🤔

Given the choice of flying or trying to live thru gas attacks in muddy trenches for months on end, easy decision.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boggles my mind.

We have over a century of flying experience, millions of pounds of data have to
exist. Many courses of study focused on flying.

Just think how much common knowledge exists, folks like myself who have
never been inside an aircraft have(very) basic knowledge.

But 100 years ago, guys built something out of wood and cloth,
"That should work!".

They thought it would fly, expected it to.
But really didn't know.

And since it was among the first airplanes they had seen, probably the first within 10 feet, they obviously had no idea how to fly the damn thing, beyond what the hand controls did to the actual flight controls.

But they climbed in!

Contrast to today.
The extensive requirements for the aircraft.
Then the licensing procedure.

Or the modification of a long serving platform (737). Using all kind of modern
knowledge and computer simulation, it goes horribly wrong.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Considering that the first winged and motorized flight was about 15 years before the start of WWI, the war birds were quite an improvement for the era. By war's end they had created an operational mono plane. Warsover the years have advanced aviation by leaps and bounds.
If my feeble mind is correct, Brown flew a Camel, when he was credited by the RAF with the Baron Richthofen, shoot down.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (16gage, 12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,001
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.