Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Who knows about them? We have an ‘18 Highlander. The nav system has been great up to now. We’re at the far end of a trip and the nav system is going haywire. It works fine enroute with all the correct turns, etc. But, when we get to the end, it can’t find the final destination. It’ll put us 1/2 mile away on a totally wrong street and address. The 1st night out, it took us 1/2 mile away from our motel. Then, getting here yesterday, my wife was driving. We knew we were way off but then it told us to make a u-turn. She did. GULP! Then it tried to take us into a wrong subdivision.

It’s showing that we have the latest software update which is a few years old. Any suggestions?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, waze or google maps.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I second google maps.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
We have a 2014 Highlander and my step daughter also has one. The GPS system on it is so bad we cannot use it. We use our iPhone most of the time.

Early on when we used it we found that by just using the routes we new to be best in lieu of following the Highlanders route we could pick up to 30 minutes of more on a 5 or 6 hour trip. We go to Michigan, a 12 hour trip, a couple of times a year and if we again followed the Highlander it would be a 13 1/2 hour trip.

I complained to the dealership but as expected they claimed no one else had ever complained about the GPS.

Obviously the later ones will have updated maps but in our case it is the logic that is flawed.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
We use google maps through the apple play on our Toyotas. Works better than factory options

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The nav system in my wife's 2020 Highlander Hybrid is great. Never an issue or a wrong turn, but it does pick a strange route from our house to the major street. After that, just fine.

I'm looking to buy a 2020 for myself in the next few months, as used prices come down.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yes, waze or google maps.

Google maps often screws up directions in the last mile too.

Last edited by Old Ornery; 11/23/23.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The nav system in my wife's 2020 Highlander Hybrid is great. Never an issue or a wrong turn, but it does pick a strange route from our house to the major street. After that, just fine.

I'm looking to buy a 2020 for myself in the next few months, as used prices come down.

Find out which version you have in the 2020 highlander and compare to your older highlander. I looked at this when I owned one and the dealer finally got in the latest chip in 2019 I owned a 2017 . Involves the SD reader underneath the screen.

They don't update maps very often FWIW. Waize sucks plain and simple.

Toyota firmware updates

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My current Highlander is a 2008. No nav system, just a tiny systems screen for the backup camera. Wife's previous car was a Lexus, which got nav updates a couple of times in the years she owned it. Funny that the same isn't true of Toyotas.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My current Highlander is a 2008. No nav system, just a tiny systems screen for the backup camera. Wife's previous car was a Lexus, which got nav updates a couple of times in the years she owned it. Funny that the same isn't true of Toyotas.

I have a 2018 Lexus and get updates all the time as well, cannot tell if any are GPS updates, I checked with the dealer and he said I was up to date on NAV . I thought for some reason you had nav on the older vehicle.

Toyota typically installs new features on the Lexus lineup a few years before their own lineup.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My wife has a 2019 highlander that the nav seem's to work ok. We have not had any issue's. For that matter our 2014 4 runner the nav seem's to work fine also. If the 4 runner went a little wonky I could understand it as it is getting old and never updated.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nav went out on my 2018 Tundra 3 times before 70k miles. To say it sucked would be an understatement.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This isnt a map update problem. We’ve been here before and it worked fine. The thing is locating the address way off. It works fine all the way until the last mile then it goes wacky, giving irrational directions.
This is something new. We’ve had the car 4 years without any problems. Somethings gone wrong and I’m fishing for ideas on where to start looking.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's always to this one place, and only this place, I wonder if there isn't something that's interfering with the GPS signal. Like a 5G tower or something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toyota made their mark with reliable vehicles. Tech has been an issue for them and I'm not sure why, but their infotainment systems collect a lot of complaints from owners.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
GPS will do strange things at times. I was recently in Monticello, Utah, a very small town. I knew they had a pizza shop there called Wagon Wheel, but didn't know which end of town it was on. Searched for it on Google Maps on my new iPhone, and it came right up - Wagon Wheel Pizza. The only pizza joint in town. Oddly it showed about 8 miles away (there's nothing at all 8 miles from Monticello). I hit Start and it began sending me north toward Moab until I was out of town, and I knew the GPS was lying to me. We were originally just 1/4 mile away from where the pizza shop is actually located and the opposite direction from where Google sent me. Google never did update and give us the correct directions - I just found it the old fashioned way.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The 1st time this happened was in Green River, Ut which isn’t far from Monticello. We’re in Albuqerque now when it happened again.

― George Orwell

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rocky:

I like reading a map. I bet you have spent a lifetime using hard copy maps. I'll even use a digital map. I use GAIA for backcountry navigation and I use Google maps for getting around in the city or on a cross country road trip. But I also prefer to have a hard copy map as a backup. I use to figure it the other way. The hard copy map was my primary and the digital was my backup. I Guess I have evolved.

But I don't like some computer telling me which way to turn or where to go. I prefer to read a map and figure it out for myself.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have an 18 Highlander. I added Apple carplay to the existing system so that we can have Waze integrated into it. It’s made by carabc for about $200 and it takes about 20 minutes to install. It’s all plug and play.

Not that I think it would make a difference fixing the navigation issue but you can upgrade the maps on the Toyota system for $29

I have never used the existing system, I added CarPlay a few days after we bought it

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get out one's phone and rely on the Maps app.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 67 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.