Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
And miss BTJ's repartee? Not on your life!

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Between the two mentioned I chose the 7mm08. I likely have a lifetime supply of hunting ammo for the 7mm08. Doing it again today or if I was buying for a younger hunter I would pick the 6.5 without thinking to hard about it at all. Especially if one are going to be depending on factory ammo.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here in Montana, it's staggering how much 6.5 CM factory ammo is available. I was in our local ranch supply store the other day, and counted 26 different SKU's of 6.5 CM ammo. That's 26 different types of factory ammo, on hand, during our month long rifle season! Only the 308 W had as much. There were two or three 7-08 SKU's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you reload I don't think it matters. If you don't the the light recoil factory loads are probably easier to find in 308.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven’t read all the replies
But
If you reload 7-08
If you don’t reload. The 308 or 6.5 CM, in tikka for the easy button.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
And miss BTJ's repartee? Not on your life!

Back in the early-80s, I worked on a trapping expedition in the Yukon. We trapped about 100,000 beaver most of them weighing between 40 and 45 pounds GUTTED. The Ree got the pelts but we made it back to civilization in time to see Krull open in theaters. Stick still says it's the best picture ever made by someone who didn't run a 1900cc Suzuki saw on Joshua Trees in the 70s. One of the skinners on the expedition was a guy who went to school with the cousin of the clerk from the Blockbuster Video near Stick's house. That guy used to talk all the time about watching his grandfather hunt with a .257 Roberts that would boomerang when it got to close to an elk. It was dropping about 147 feet at 300 yards with 57# of energy. Adding neon pink tape got her up to about 80# but eventually she just had to get thunder chicken yuk-tucky'd into the creek for good.

Anyway, IT'S ABOUT TIME SOME OF YOU STARTED SEEING THE LIGHT. Wherever there is injustice done to Stick, I will be lurking. HE DOESN'T CARE IF EVERY RIFLE HE OWNS HAS TO BE THROWN IN THE CREEK. Y'all are going to learn that any cartridge standardized before 2001 was obsolete before it was even invented.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Here in Montana, it's staggering how much 6.5 CM factory ammo is available. I was in our local ranch supply store the other day, and counted 26 different SKU's of 6.5 CM ammo. That's 26 different types of factory ammo, on hand, during our month long rifle season! Only the 308 W had as much. There were two or three 7-08 SKU's.
Same here in the Idaho panhandle, in fact ammo that returned the fastest were 6.5 CM, 308, 30-06, 270, 243 and surprisingly 6mm CM. I like the 7mm-08 but like the 6.5CM a bit better, and lately the 6mm CM. I just find myself shooting lower and lower recoiling rifles these days. Even used the 30-30 this season.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
My youngest is older than that, but she’s very recoil sensitive and has recently expressed an interest in hunting, mainly deer. I have a good-shooting 7-08 Mountain Rifle I’m gonna give her, pending her showing she can tolerate the recoil (I’m pretty sure she can). But if I were BUYING something to start a kid off the 6.5 CM is the obvious choice. I’m singing with the choir here but ammo availability is far far better than 7-08; now fast forward say 30 years and will 7-08 still be around at ALL?… we all know 7-08 is an awesome cartridge, one of the very best, but factory ammo availability is a bit spooky going forward. Whereas it certainly appears that 6.5 CM is here to stay. Though I plan on living forever, and will provide her with piles of handloads as needed, you never know, I could turn out to be mortal like the rest of you poor sods, and I like the thought of her being able to buy high-quality ammo just about anywhere.

With the big disclaimer that I have not been following what’s hot/what’s not for about a decade, I’d be looking hard at a stainless Tikka for a factory rifle. “Good enuff” triggers, and odds are very good it will shoot. The Euro styling kinda bugs ME but I doubt it’d bug my daughter.

Jeffy you quit your deer hunt after one day. You’re just a weak loser and a weak frightened drug addict

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It would be hard to beat a 308 running 130 TTSX when your kids are young and you could throttle down the velocity (and recoil). As they grow, so could the velocity and bullet weight if needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Remember that I said that they’d be hunting in CO with Pronghorn to elk on the menu, and possibly a trip to Africa. Even the 6.5 isn’t allowed in some parts of Africa, so that’s why I weeded it out. Plus, neither girls have a man bun. I’m no fan of the 6.5 hype. Yes, it works, but it’s also about the smallest caliber I’d use on elk, and I wouldn’t take it to Africa where a lost animal can cost $3-4$k. They can practice with my smaller guns.

If they actually go to Africa the cost of a rifle compared to your $3-$4k animals is minimal.

The vast majority of hunters have told you to take the easy answer and go 6.5mm Creedmoor.

As you have been led to water it will be interesting to see if your ego will let you drink.

I am rooting for you and those girls.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The OP asked which cartridge between the 7mm-08 and 308. Based on that .308.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by LBP
It’s the campfire.

Guy asks 32B or 32C; you suggest 46DDD.

smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When my daughter was 11 years old I let her shoot my .308 off of sandbags at the public rifle range. I was shocked, it kicked her body back about 2' and I felt lucky to get her out of there without being arrested for abuse. Granted, she wasn't a very big girl, but I would suggest letting your kids shoot a borrowed rifle before buying one.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by StrayDog
. . . . I would suggest letting your kids shoot a borrowed rifle before buying one.

^ ^ ^ ^ winner ^ ^ ^ ^

Whenever they can carry and aim and fire their rifle
without help, they're old enough to hunt.
Now mature enough is a different matter.
I've hunted with people and their kids that kids
and parents both need to mature considerably

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started my son with a downloaded .257 Bob. My daughter started with a ruger 77 / .357 mag. Both graduated to 7mm-08's in a couple of years. No regrets, and I love the 7mm-08, but if I were starting from scratch with them, I would have bought creeds for them.
These days my daughter just borrows my Montana when she hunts. My boy still uses his LVSF 7mm-08 when he isnt shooting 30mm's and rockets out of his Apache.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by LBP
It’s the campfire.

Guy asks 32B or 32C; you suggest 46DDD.

smile
Got any pics?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since you're concerned about use in Africa and the 6.5mm, then I'd absolutely go 308W. Probably the most popular round on the continent, and ammo available everywhere.

I'd definitely start them with light bullets and a suppressed barrel. Suppressors are the future anyway, might as well start them out right.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They're the same in the killing department. No difference at all.

All the children in our household started out with my older Glenfield carbine chambered for the famous 30-30 cartridge. It is fitted with a Simmons 2-7X scope and Limb Saver recoil pad. Typical 5 shot groups at 100 yards is 2 inches with 150 grain Core-lokt ammo. This outfit is lethal out to about 150 yards or so. - Sherwood

Last edited by Sherwood; 11/26/23. Reason: spelling fixed

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Remember that I said that they’d be hunting in CO with Pronghorn to elk on the menu, and possibly a trip to Africa. Even the 6.5 isn’t allowed in some parts of Africa, so that’s why I weeded it out. Plus, neither girls have a man bun. I’m no fan of the 6.5 hype. Yes, it works, but it’s also about the smallest caliber I’d use on elk, and I wouldn’t take it to Africa where a lost animal can cost $3-4$k. They can practice with my smaller guns.

If they actually go to Africa the cost of a rifle compared to your $3-$4k animals is minimal.

The vast majority of hunters have told you to take the easy answer and go 6.5mm Creedmoor.

As you have been led to water it will be interesting to see if your ego will let you drink.

I am rooting for you and those girls.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

The vast majority of hunters would likely prefer you stay away from their children. But you aren't wrong about the Creed. If Stick has said it once, he's said it 1000 times: cartridges invented before 2001 have lost virtually all their lethality on game animals. If you guys won't start paying attention and learn something, Stick is going to have to come in here and post pictures of the mail to teach you a lesson. Then he's going to throw whatever rifles came in the mail into the creek. BECAUSE YOU WON'T LEARN.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Both will serve them just fine. I personally shoot a 7mm rem mag, but that's mostly because I also shoot it for long range fun, and the 7 has a little better ballistics past the 700 yard mark.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 29 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,039
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.