Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This news was posted in early November. Bumped into another article. Some of the highlights:

The American Ornithological Society announced Nov. 1 that it will rename North American birds to dissociate the animals from namesakes with problematic pasts. Several birds, such as the Townsend’s warbler and solitaire, are named after racists.

Judith Scarl, CEO and executive director of the society, said the project could help reverse longstanding biases among birders. (Biases among birders? Really?)

Audubon's shearwater, a bird named after naturalist and slaveowner John James Audubon, is among the birds on the ornithological society's list. The Audubon Society is named for the same man but decided to keep its title, a choice that led to resignations and local chapters going rogue.

(Audubon is a racist so we must change birds named after him but keep the name The Audubon Society. hypocrites!)

Susan Bell, chair of the National Audubon Society’s Board of Directors, explained the organization's name "has come to represent so much more than the work of one person." ( would think this applies to the bird names too!)

The list below, provided by Saenger, notes some of the birds that breed in, migrate to, or visit Pennsylvania that could be affected by the renaming effort:

Baird's sandpiper
Baltimore oriole (named after Lord Baltimore) The baseball club is going to love this one
Barrow's goldeneye
Blackburnian warbler
Bonaparte's gull
Brewer's blackbird
Cooper's hawk
Forster's tern
Henslow's sparrow
Lincoln's sparrow
Ross's goose
Swainson's thrush
Wilson's phalarope
Wilson's snipe
Wilson's warbler

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...c48ccbf7724195a01dd43641969d42&ei=13

I will most likely continue to use the bird names I learned decades ago.

I am willing to bet for most of our lifetimes when any of us looks up a newly named bird the source will also say the bird formerly known as .......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe I felt suitable umbrage the first two times this was brought up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been working to learn the Latin names of plants and might start on birds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 19352012
Well la dee da Mister, I’ve been on a Walter Brennan movie marathon and can’t read every jot and tittle on here

I just watched this bird renaming update on my recycled 4 times passed down electronic voice over youtube vlog

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by 19352012
Well la dee da Mister, I’ve been on a Walter Brennan movie marathon and can’t read every jot and tittle on here

I just watched this bird renaming update on my recycled 4 times passed down electronic voice over youtube vlog

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Well holy schit

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Azshooter
This news was posted in early November. Bumped into another article. Some of the highlights:

The American Ornithological Society announced Nov. 1 that it will rename North American birds to dissociate the animals from namesakes with problematic pasts. Several birds, such as the Townsend’s warbler and solitaire, are named after racists.

Judith Scarl, CEO and executive director of the society, said the project could help reverse longstanding biases among birders. (Biases among birders? Really?)

Audubon's shearwater, a bird named after naturalist and slaveowner John James Audubon, is among the birds on the ornithological society's list. The Audubon Society is named for the same man but decided to keep its title, a choice that led to resignations and local chapters going rogue.

(Audubon is a racist so we must change birds named after him but keep the name The Audubon Society. hypocrites!)

Susan Bell, chair of the National Audubon Society’s Board of Directors, explained the organization's name "has come to represent so much more than the work of one person." ( would think this applies to the bird names too!)

The list below, provided by Saenger, notes some of the birds that breed in, migrate to, or visit Pennsylvania that could be affected by the renaming effort:

Baird's sandpiper
Baltimore oriole (named after Lord Baltimore) The baseball club is going to love this one
Barrow's goldeneye
Blackburnian warbler
Bonaparte's gull
Brewer's blackbird
Cooper's hawk
Forster's tern
Henslow's sparrow
Lincoln's sparrow
Ross's goose
Swainson's thrush
Wilson's phalarope
Wilson's snipe
Wilson's warbler

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...c48ccbf7724195a01dd43641969d42&ei=13

I will most likely continue to use the bird names I learned decades ago.

I am willing to bet for most of our lifetimes when any of us looks up a newly named bird the source will also say the bird formerly known as .......

I too am loathe to see yet another institution go “woke” at the hands of radical progressive feminists.

OTOH after about 60 years of looking at birds I myself never bothered to look up who all those people were.

Henslow’s sparrow has always been my fallback lifer, the last NA bird to look for if all my other remaining lifers get seen.

Turns out Henslow was a pioneering Brit Naturalist whose students included Audubon himself. He was also the guy who put another student called Charles Dawin on that famous voyage (damn, now half the ‘Fire want him cancelled too 🙂).

The real Ornithological stud though was a rebellious Lowland Scot and formerly imprisoned textile mill worker called Alexander Wilson. That guy arrived on these shores without a penny to his name and subsequently covered thousands of miles on foot studying our then unexplored bird life, the true father of American Ornithology.

McCoun, formerly of longspur fame, was quietly cancelled previously without us noticing on account of some time after shooting that little bird along the Rio Grande he became a Confederate General.

McCoun’s Longspur is now officially and clumsily called the thick-billed longspur. I’m really hoping they do a better job on Henslow’s sparrow.

On the greater issue, I am against the changes but will concede I didn’t grow up looking for a Nkruma’s bunting or Gonzales’ oriole.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I have been working to learn the Latin names of plants and might start on birds.

Ya might want to hold off on that.

Most often if the common name is named after someone that guys name appears in the scientific name with “ii” after it. No word yet if they’re going after these.

That and the fact that DNA and RNA analysis has resulted in a reshuffling and in some cases re-scientific naming many of our birds. Fer example most all of the formerly and familiarly placed in the genus “Dendroica” warblers are now in the genus “Setophaga” with a few spin off elsewhere.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Trust me, the birds don't care what you call them.

A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
MOLON LABE
LET'S GO BRANDON!!
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've kept it simple. If they aren't waterfowl, grouse, robins, raptors, corvids, (magpie include), owls, they are "Dickie birds".

That came from a yarn spun by one of my college profs. They were out on some sort of non birding scientific venture, and Dick was a rabid birder, enthusing about all the small , mostly brownish birds being seen. Th others just lumped said birds into the "Dickie bird" category.

Works for me, for the last 50 years. Ignorance is not always underrated. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK, there is a mob of black-capped chickadees in the lilac bush right now.

Little bastds are probably racist with that name.... Cute tho.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the birds are under the genus LBB (little brown bird).

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most of the birds are under the genus LBB (little brown bird).

Dickie bird.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Baquack Obama was a former President of the birds

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leftists are like the Islamic State that tears down ancient temples....but leftists tear down confederate statues and bird names.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd had about enough of this woke jbird-namoing schitt about the time they started referring to old squaws a "long-tailed ducks."

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one wants to see volumes, just wait until the Botanical Congress has to rename all the plants in the world.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by cra1948
I'd had about enough of this woke jbird-namoing schitt about the time they started referring to old squaws as "long-tailed ducks."

Well, the Long-tailed Duck scientific name is 'Clangula hyemalis' if that would make you feel better.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, as I previously posted this nonsense royally pisses me off..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's not renaming birds, it's erasing white scientists

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.