Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
First off, nothing I've ever experienced comes close to some of you, being in war time combat.

A few of mine.

Nearly sliding off a couple of nasty iced over roadways into big canyons in Idaho in a truck and trailer.

An avalanche on Kodiak Island that was too close for comfort.

Nearly flipping a backhoe on top of myself.
Wasnt a good day.

Nearly flipping a Razor side by side down a near vertical, snow covered mountain, I literally screamed like a 12 year old girl.

Being centerpunched in Chevy by a drunk driver at 60 miles per hour, sliding down the highway upside down with all the windows broken out of my truck.

Being swept down stream in a raging river that my buddy thought he could cross in his Taco dog box truck while bear hunting one year.
Crazy story.

The worst ever was nearly drowning while Salmon fishing on a favorite river.
I was wearing felt bottomed wading boots and was finishing a day of incredible Salmon fishing.
Crossed the river in the wrong spot and fell into a hole, being swept downstream in the strong current.
I had exhaled my last breath of air and all I could see was the sparkles of sunlight above me as the current swept me down stream.
Ii truly believed I was dying that day.
Fortunately the current pushed me into a Boulder that I was able to push off of and get a gasp of air and get into shallower water.
That was a close one.

Proud NRA Life Member

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I ate a McRib once...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Coupla times out in the Gulf fishing, and a
storm comes out of nowhere.
No rigs or shore in sight anywhere
Bought an expensive PFD with lots of reflective
patches, and a pocket for a Firefly after that.
Also bought a Firefly to go in the pocket

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My wedding day. 56 years ago!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
one bad car wreck, many years ago. One bad day way out in the Gulf of Mexico in a small boat. Other than just a few times, I have been lucky.

Oh yeah, and the heart attack 12 years ago. That was scary.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Crossed the river in the wrong spot and fell into a hole…

Had one similar to this. Fishing with a buddy and we both came out from under a bridge in thigh-deep water and he was looking my direction when he said it looked like I walked off a cliff and vanished. I don’t know how deep that hole was but I never hit bottom. I had on newer breathable waders with felt shoes. The important thing was the cinch at the top kept them from filling with water. In my old rubber ones I would have had to got them off somehow or they would have anchored me.

Managed to save my St Croix in the process! 😊

When I was in 8th grade I unhooked a single axle trailer that had the weight too far back and the hitch sprang up and hit me in the forehead. Knocked me out but only ended up with 7 stitches. Can only thank the good Lord that one wasn’t worse. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Fear the crabcat.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
You all know my story so I will save the pictures and details. The funny thing is it changed my life to the point if I could go back and undo my accident I don't know if I would

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Salmonella
First off, nothing I've ever experienced comes close to some of you, being in war time combat.

A few of mine.

Nearly sliding off a couple of nasty iced over roadways into big canyons in Idaho in a truck and trailer.

An avalanche on Kodiak Island that was too close for comfort.

Nearly flipping a backhoe on top of myself.
Wasnt a good day.

Nearly flipping a Razor side by side down a near vertical, snow covered mountain, I literally screamed like a 12 year old girl.

Being centerpunched in Chevy by a drunk driver at 60 miles per hour, sliding down the highway upside down with all the windows broken out of my truck.

Being swept down stream in a raging river that my buddy thought he could cross in his Taco dog box truck while bear hunting one year.
Crazy story.

The worst ever was nearly drowning while Salmon fishing on a favorite river.
I was wearing felt bottomed wading boots and was finishing a day of incredible Salmon fishing.
Crossed the river in the wrong spot and fell into a hole, being swept downstream in the strong current.
I had exhaled my last breath of air and all I could see was the sparkles of sunlight above me as the current swept me down stream.
Ii truly believed I was dying that day.
Fortunately the current pushed me into a Boulder that I was able to push off of and get a gasp of air and get into shallower water.
That was a close one.

Kat you got 3 More Lives ..

Use them Wisely.

Of Course that’s just a Rumor ..

Me just your run of the Mill Cub Crash..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Choked on a biscuit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blood clots that went to my lungs.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm thinking that I've used up eight of my nine lives...
One was getting electrocuted by a metal garage door. Bare foot and standing on concrete, the bottom of the door cut into an extension cord that was plugged in. Couldn't let go with my right hand, nothing around to break the grip. Made a fist with my left hand, smacked my right wrist as hard as I could. Damn that hurt...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Been a few hairy moments but only one when I genuinely thought it was over with no chance. I was shearing around Hillston for Ted Kenny in my twenties and taking quinine for muscular cramps in the hot months, I ended up laying on my bed at the local hotel where I was camped as what felt like a great big steel band constricted my chest and pretty much stopped everything...as I drifted off I pretty much accepted and made my peace.

Bugger me if I didn't wake up right as rain the next morning...threw the damned quinine away and went to work.

I had a blood workup the last time I was in the hospice and they kept coming in and asking if I had ever had a heart attack, they only stopped the tests and left me alone after I explained the bout in Hillston.

That was almost forty years ago.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son was learning to drive and I was a passenger. He was coming up on a red light at a moderately busy intersection. I kept saying, "It's red." "IT'S RED." "IT'S RED! STOP!" He drove right through it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
No one's been in fear for their life when cornered by a fat, horny , half naked, drunk chick yet ? .....
if so or name must not have been Hillary soon to be Clinton..

Last edited by ldholton; 11/26/23.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was working on a salvage job a hundred miles south of Barrow Alaska, I was trying to jump from a Zodiac onto the deck of a grounded barge in a sea condition of a brisk chop and mixed swells, made the jump, a little late...but landed on the listing barge deck, was knocked off my feet by the next swell and was washed flailing like a turtle toward the edge. Going over would have been the farm, wearing long johns, work clothes, Carhartts and rain gear even with a work vest life jacket, I wouldn't have lasted in the drink. Washing back to the edge, my raingear snagged and held on a little piece of steel called a deck clip. The next wave was a big one and washed me well up onto the deck where my boss grabbed onto me. Pretty damn close to a late term abortion. Hats off to Helly Hansen quality.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Things go bad quickly in firefighting, so worrying about what might happen isn't a factor.
It's during the ride back to the station that you think about what almost happened, and then you get the shakes.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
seriously though , short story version , got flushed through a culvert once in flood waters ,that was a bit spooky.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had a number of really close calls, with all but a few happening in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I fell into a creek and was swept 20-30 yards down stream in 27 degree weather. I've had a few strays bullets and birdshot fly closer than I cared for.

Medics bury their mistakes..
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Handful of boat rides I got worried.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Had a treestand step shear off way up in a tree

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.